ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TRACK TROPHY 381 – PROGRESS TO DATE

Clio 182 FF
I should have been in bed an hour ago - but have spent about an hour or so reading through this

Good to read through the progress from start to finish and I like how you've modded as you go and felt each mod change the car.

I've just bought a Clio 182 with a few bits done to it from @matty1995 from the forum.

Really like the progress and mods you've done and if mine ends up anything like this then I'll be a happy camper.

Planning its first track day at croft in December after a quick going over and run down and service etc. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Then we'll see how things progress over the winter as I plan to take it off the road and tinker - but I do suffer from OCD like you so this thread has done me no favours

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I should have been in bed an hour ago - but have spent about an hour or so reading through this

Good to read through the progress from start to finish and I like how you've modded as you go and felt each mod change the car.

I've just bought a Clio 182 with a few bits done to it from @matty1995 from the forum.

Really like the progress and mods you've done and if mine ends up anything like this then I'll be a happy camper.

Planning its first track day at croft in December after a quick going over and run down and service etc. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Then we'll see how things progress over the winter as I plan to take it off the road and tinker - but I do suffer from OCD like you so this thread has done me no favours

Cheers mate, all I can say is they are addictive and it took a lot of restraint to modify bit by bit, especially when everything was lying in a box ready to go !!

Good luck with yours and I look forward to watching your progress :up:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well more progress, all straightened and being masked up ready for paint when I nipped in today..... Estimating Friday pm collection so looks like Sunday on track is going ahead as planned :)

WP_20151021_003.jpg
WP_20151021_004.jpg

More to follow.......

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Next update, finished a day early :smile:, he was just riveting the side skirt brackets on and I collect it at 4 tonight so 2 days to polish and check over before Sundays outing :up:
WP_20151022_002.jpg
WP_20151022_003.jpg

will put the obligatory completion photo up once the side skirt & Trophy sticker are back in place :hearteyes:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Good time on track today, started off very slippy, cold, wet and seemed to take for ever to dry out...... But it did and it turned into a good day... Car ran faultlessly up until an hour before finish.... A minor misfire, think its a plug or an injector, so fair wear and tear really!! ( fingers crossed ;))

On another note...... Don't you just love what happens to silver hammerite with a little heat !!

WP_20151025_001.jpg

Only thing that will be happening now, well in the next week, will be a plug change and or injector and then into winter storage and a few months to think up some new mods!!

Hopefully catch up with a few of you on the 31st :)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Wondered where you'd went when I came back off track today! I had a spare set of plugs you could've tried too.

Really good day though. Enjoyed trying to keep up with you on the few sessions we were out together. What's happening on the 31st?

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Wondered where you'd went when I came back off track today! I had a spare set of plugs you could've tried too.

Really good day though. Enjoyed trying to keep up with you on the few sessions we were out together. What's happening on the 31st?
Yeah it was a good Stuart. I actually had spare plugs with me, but it was quarter past 4, and the tyres were pretty much gone anyway ( and I know what happened the last time I persisted with that lol ). Saturday is a Track Scotland day, I shall be spectating though with hopefully a few passenger laps ;)

Yeah it was a good Stuart. I actually had spare plugs with me, but it was quarter past 4, and the tyres were pretty much gone anyway ( and I know what happened the last time I persisted with that lol ). Saturday is a Track Scotland day, I shall be spectating though with hopefully a few passenger laps :wink:

Any spaces on track Scotland day? How do you find out about them?

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Any spaces on track Scotland day? How do you find out about them?
I think it will be listed on there website mate, I don't know if there's any left..... Few of the regular guys in it so worth a look, and I'll hopefully find out more for next year, dates and prices etc....

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
:smile::smile:
Oh noooooooooo! Colour-changing calipers 😧
Lol, I knew you It was going to happen, had it turn pink before bit surprised with the gold though :smile:

Pity there's no heat goes through the rears,I could have had a matching set..... I'll give them a coat of black or some high temp silver in the spring :up:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
:tongueout:Well a quick check today showed that plug number 2 had given up so a shoved another used one in today and running perfectly :grin::up:........ Also give the car a foam, de rubber, wash, Polish and detail tonight so looking pretty again !! Just to get her up on the ramps for a full underside check over and wash down, lubrcate all emergency pulls, throttle cable / itb springs and suspension adjusters before she goes into storage for the winter.......

Plans / wish list for the winter (in no particular order) are as follows, with my current thoughts on them too

• Investigate diff options and costs...... Box has never had any issues or crunches so part of me doesn't want to muck with it yet, but I need something to stop it lighting up coming out of the hairpin, yes @Fraser.J. a lighter right foot is always an option :smile:, so stop sending me diff adverts lol!! Comments appreciated from those in the know:up:
  • Replace the windows for polycarbonate alternatives...... Should have bought @Ph1 Tom set up earlier in the year but was spending too much on the car and had to calm down a bit. I'm also looking at ways to put air inlets the rear quarter Windows to allow me to duct cold air into the car, not a real fan of roof scoops I'm afraid. Anyway will be watching out for the right deal!
  • Paint the inside...... mixed feelings, re spray or hammerite. Neat / OCD freak in me wants spray finish, but the hassle of stripping and removing everything is outweighing that and the thought of taking extra care with hammered finish hammerite is looking like a good option. @CallyTeee hurry up and finish yours so I can have a look :smile:. I really want a charcoal / gun metal grey finish so need to do a little investigating.
  • Remove bumper brackets and modify inner wings.... @Fraser.J. has offered his services and those of his hammer, but as a stone chip pi*ses me off I might investigate other options, although it may result in the brute force route........

Other than that not much more I don't think...... Unless I see some interesting mods on here over the winter!!

Was discussing the options for next year with Fraser today, both of us think SLS or a lot more track days down south, as knockhill, whilst great fun, is losing its appeal a little..... We're just weighing up / justifying the costs just now, but my initial thoughts are stick to track days but travel to other tracks, as the power to weight ratios might put the trophy into catagories that will make it uncompetitive, and if your going enter you really want to win!! Ha ha :stig:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I can supply you a gripper for £1125 delivered if you wanted to retain the oe final drive, or £1525 delivered if you want to use a gripper cw&p. :cool:

What's the service requirements on the Gripper mate. not fully understanding the pro's / con's of each so I'm weighing up Gripper v Quaife. As the car is full track, it does approx. 12 outings a year, lets say 750 to 1000 miles per year...........

Feed back appreciated on that and final drive ratios, as if its going to be done its as well being done right!!

cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What's the service requirements on the Gripper mate. not fully understanding the pro's / con's of each so I'm weighing up Gripper v Quaife. As the car is full track, it does approx. 12 outings a year, lets say 750 to 1000 miles per year...........

Feed back appreciated on that and final drive ratios, as if its going to be done its as well being done right!!

cheers
Service requirements on the grippers aren't too horrendous now that they've changed to the new style of plates mate. They will lose their effectiveness over time, but that's more down to how much lock up you want them to have. On a trackday car I'd expect the gripper to need the plates replacing/ramp angle adjustments after about 3-4 years, possibly longer of you replace the oil regularly enough - this is the biggest single improvement you can make to the life and performance of a gripper. Plate diffs by their nature contaminate the oil, so a regular oil change will see them kept in top performance.
The Quaife is the true fit and forget give, but it won't give you the same performance as the grippers do. You'll get better out of the corner acceleration with the gripper as well.

Pros and cons to both are:

Quaife is fit and forget, doesn't need regular oil changes, doesn't need fancy oil. BUT it doesn't give you the option to change cw&p or have the same out of the bend performance to the gripper.

Gripper will have the better performance out of the bends and also has the ability to change the cw&p arrangement. BUT it does need to be removed to be serviced and it contaminates the oil, meaning more frequent oil changes. (The service intervals will be as stated above as a guideline).

Final drive ratios basically mean that you can alter the way the car accelerates and this also reduces top speed. A lot of the racers have this setup. Neil A had the gripper with a different final drive fitted. Not sure if you ever went in his car?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
At knockhill I'd go for a gripper. Still keep drive if you lift a front wheel and you can get the 4.58 final drive which is pretty much spot on with the shorter 5th gear as well.

Considering the mileage and type of use I'd go for a gripper for that reason too.

I like quaife diffs but I do a bit more road than track use and prefer the fit and forget function of them.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I was in Neil's, and my mate Stu owns it now so further shots not a problem. might have to drive it and feel the benefits as well.

I change the oil once a year as it is, with ELF, so that would still happen regardless of diff.

Never really saw the benefit of the final drive in Neil's, he seemed to get into fifth on pit straight, but I felt he lost more changing the gears (up and down) than he gained with that...... possibly not and that is something I need to look into more.

Certainly interested in Gripper, so I shall keep eyes peeled the now for the right deal (used or new).........

Thanks for the help guys

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Cars looking good mate.

Thanks mate..... I have forgotten what it looks like just now. Went away into winter storage at the end of October. Regretting that now as a few track days are just around the corner!! :)

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Unrelated photos now............... but since the track car went away for the winter i visited a different track a few weekends ago!! Weather was spectacular but the result disappointing none the less!! pictures say it all (I'm sure they will generate mixed views LOL 🙈)

no explanation required !!
No explanation required!!.JPG

Rossi in the mix...............
Rossi in the mix - Valencia 2015.JPG

Rossi's Cool down lap
Rossi cool down lap - Valencia 2015.JPG

Marquez's last lap deffence of Lorenzo!!
Marquez last lap defence - Valencia 2015.JPG

Lowes trying hard
Lowes trying hard - Valencia 2015.JPG

Danny Kent finally secures the championship!!!
Kent & Oliveira - Valencia 2015.JPG

forgotten what sunshine looks like this last week!!!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well it feels like ages since I've been on here............ well updating anyways.

Its been a miserable and wet winter up here so all the plans made at the end of last season have not been taken any further! but the Trophy's now out of storage and looking as shiny as the day she went in :tongueclosed:.

WP_20160318_001.jpg

Picked up at 6:30 last night........ its 6:30 am now and i'm away to start working on her. Neighbours must love Clio owners!! :smile:

To do list below (in no particular order) and I have 2 weeks before the first outing so all should be achievable, but i do remember saying that before!!

• Remove air-con rad and blower motor from below scuttle (was meant to do this ages ago, but it just seemed a pain)
  • rub down front calipers and paint with high temp silver paint this time
  • new door cards to be installed to replace my hand made efforts thinking about relocating my mirror switch as i find the electric mirrros helpful for loading / unloading etc
  • Fit foot plates (have had these for a year or so now and have never been quite sure about them.... (alloy with holes in them, look pretty but cant see the point, so may have to review this. One of the other cars at Knockhill has them and do look good installed)
  • Fit Polycarb windows (front only) as i'm still unsure about these, so opted for easy swap over at this time! obviously remove associated runners & motors for weight etc.
  • cut bumper brackets off and modify front wheel wells to stop rubbing
  • fit aero catches to front bumper to stop the passengers side unclipping every outing
  • check engine bay bolts including ITB & a full check over underneath
  • lubricate throttle cable, electric cut off & fire extinguisher pull cables
  • remove battery & refurb battery tray. i have a light weight battery, but i've chosen to leave it under the bonnet as it weights 0.8kg, so the cables and wiring to relocate it inside would weigh more than the battery, hence the refurb of the battery tray (has to look pretty of course!!)
  • Oil & filter change (i change it every 3 to 4 outings, seems a little daft changing oil that still looks new but new mind)
  • change gear box oil. (not quite as bad with this it gets changed start of every year)
  • lubricate all suspension adjusters
  • change spark plugs
  • fit safety devices cage insulation
  • Think about spraying the inside, this was meant to be a winter project but as the weather was so damp & wet i could never get around to it despite having all the materials !!)
so short list, but i'm sure there will be a another 100 things to do along the way!

Hope to catch up with some of you at Knockhill soon :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well it feels like ages since I've been on here............ well updating anyways.

Its been a miserable and wet winter up here so all the plans made at the end of last season have not been taken any further! but the Trophy's now out of storage and looking as shiny as the day she went in :tongueclosed:.

View attachment 150705

Picked up at 6:30 last night........ its 6:30 am now and i'm away to start working on her. Neighbours must love Clio owners!! :smile:

To do list below (in no particular order) and I have 2 weeks before the first outing so all should be achievable, but i do remember saying that before!!

• Remove air-con rad and blower motor from below scuttle (was meant to do this ages ago, but it just seemed a pain)
  • new door cards to be installed to replace my hand made efforts thinking about relocating my mirror switch as i find the electric mirrros helpful for loading / unloading etc
  • Fit foot plates (have had these for a year or so now and have never been quite sure about them.... (alloy with holes in them, look pretty but cant see the point, so may have to review this. One of the other cars at Knockhill has them and do look good installed)
  • Fit Polycarb windows (front only) as i'm still unsure about these, so opted for easy swap over at this time! obviously remove associated runners & motors for weight etc.
  • fit aero catches to front bumper to stop the passengers side unclipping every outing
  • check engine bay bolts including ITB & a full check over underneath
  • lubricate throttle cable, electric cut off & fire extinguisher pull cables
  • remove battery & refurb battery tray. i have a light weight battery, but i've chosen to leave it under the bonnet as it weights 0.8kg, so the cables and wiring to relocate it inside would weigh more than the battery, hence the refurb of the battery tray (has to look pretty of course!!)
  • Oil & filter change (i change it every 3 to 4 outings, seems a little daft changing oil that still looks new but new mind)
  • change gear box oil. (not quite as bad with this it gets changed start of every year)
  • lubricate all suspension adjusters
  • change spark plugs
  • Think about spraying the inside, this was meant to be a winter project but as the weather was so damp & wet i could never get around to it despite having all the materials !!)
so short list, but i'm sure there will be a another 100 things to do along the way!

Hope to catch up with some of you at Knockhill soon :up:
That's some list you've got yourself there mate!!

My neighbours also love me when it's time to run the Clio up. I live in a cul de sac so the sound reverberates around the houses! Lol

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
That's some list you've got yourself there mate!!

My neighbours also love me when it's time to run the Clio up. I live in a cul de sac so the sound reverberates around the houses! Lol
I should get through quite a bit this weekend (hopefully)

I know the feeling mate, my street is filling up with retired people, so a noisy Clio is not the most popular thing in the work lol!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I should get through quite a bit this weekend (hopefully)

I know the feeling mate, my street is filling up with retired people, so a noisy Clio is not the most popular thing in the work lol!
It wasn't so bad on the old engine as I could pretty much turn the key and drive off. Not the case with the new build! The cold oil pressure at 110psi dictates this! Lol!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
It wasn't so bad on the old engine as I could pretty much turn the key and drive off. Not the case with the new build! The cold oil pressure at 110psi dictates this! Lol!
it sounds like a monster mate..... I need to see this in the flesh :)

This car is stunning mate !
Thanks mate, she's getting there....

Well i had a few hours on her today, so a few items scored off the list!! weather is outstanding and good few of the mates are on track today and it sounds like they are having major fun....... should have had the car ready, but never mind :car:🔨:smile:
  • Remove air-con rad and blower motor from below scuttle (was meant to do this ages ago, but it just seemed a pain) - DONE
  • check engine bay bolts including ITB & a full check over underneath - DONE
  • lubricate throttle cable, electric cut off & fire extinguisher pull cables - DONE
  • remove battery & refurb battery tray. i have a light weight battery, but i've chosen to leave it under the bonnet as it weights 0.8kg, so the cables and wiring to relocate it inside would weigh more than the battery, hence the refurb of the battery tray (has to look pretty of course!!) - battery out, template taken and alloy bracket sized and getting fabricated
  • lubricate all suspension adjusters - DONE
  • change spark plugs - DONE
more to follow............

Last edited by a moderator: