ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy #185's story

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
April 2013

Been a very busy and massively stressful few months for me so not really had time to have updated the project but since last time I wrote a lot has changed and ultimately for the better now. Basically made redundant from where I've worked from when I was 17 but got things sorted and ended up getting 2 job offers before end of my contract with old workplace so every cloud has a silver lining, and thanks to family,friends and an amazing girlfriend I took one of these offers and begin a new chapter in my life.

Coolant Temperature Issue

Typical, week before I was due to go to interviews little red had started to develop an issue with coolant temp. Basically if left idling all was ok but as soon as you started moving the temperature would drop slightly (not to the point where the cold map would kick in as it drove fine) Pretty certain this was the Thermostat not closing properly as the temperature gauge seemed fine so sensor fault was unlikely but got onto phone with Colin at Wests Renault, £44.64 lighter and few days later I had brand new thermostat and temperature sensor along with some Type D coolant I ordered from an ebay seller. Many thanks to Colin for such quick service.

8776431447_ab5b134b69_c.jpg

DSC02927 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Temperature Sensor

8783018144_db8340c40f_c.jpg

DSC02930 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Had look on here to study and familiarise myself with where all was and then a Sunday afternoon I got onto changing them both. Had renault type D coolant in there already so didn't need to flush out which saved a lot of hassle.

Let engine cool down and then out with the airbox and got the temperature sensor out and new one in without any issues

8783024690_2e50993a64_c.jpg

DSC02931 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Next onto the Thermostat, which I was expecting a lot of coolant to go everywhere so pair of scissors to and icecream tub

8776468945_473f53f688_c.jpg
DSC02937 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Didn't loose 1/4 as much coolant as I was expecting with myself and one of my brothers working like a well oile team ;) Greeted to what I was expecting with the inner seal slightly distorted and not sealing properly.

8783029000_d962f3492b_c.jpg

DSC02936 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Glad I found something so tightened all up, topped coolant back up, ran engine up to temp and bled the system. Jobs a good 'un. All sorted for the critical week that lay ahead of me.

8776482953_e263b4a51c_c.jpg

DSC02941 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Good news recieved from interviews as I had new job few weeks before we were off on gardening leave from work so had chance to relax so my girlfriend and myself went for a drive on the doorstep to Betws y Coed.

Rhaeadr Ewynnol / Swallow Waterfalls outside Betws.

8776492009_6c66539428_c.jpg

DSC03023 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8776503421_aa8d6b0f25_c.jpg

DSC03042 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

And day after to Black rock sands.

8783079654_6fdbb0154c_c.jpg

DSC03093 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8776514445_4e3e308556_c.jpg

DSC03108 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8776536007_ae56fc434e_c.jpg

DSC03122 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8783112270_ac3667b1ef_c.jpg

DSC03133 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Sidelight replaced

One of my 'not so long ago fitted' sidelights had gone, was dreading id have to take whole bumper off again but thankfully didn't have to. Wasn't impressed by fact it lasted so short a period but have had PIAA stuff before and always lasted years so i've put this down to a single unlucky occurrence.

8783117982_bff915f85c_c.jpg

DSC03136 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

May 2013

After a hard winter finally got chance to see to the stone chips on the front of the Trophy.

8776556413_1f03800e05_c.jpg

DSC03148 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8776560409_47072994a8_c.jpg

DSC03150 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Having read on detailing world about a technique (Similar to Dr Colourchips road rash kit instructions) I wanted to try this, bought some touchup kit and mixing both the colour and clear together in equal parts, using a lighter fluid coated cloth I smeared the paint over and across the chips trying to be as neat as possible.

8783134548_aec2edf54e_c.jpg

DSC03154 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Bonnet left looking like this which was a bit daunting haha.

8776569351_11cd779423_c.jpg

DSC03160 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8782993604_61a95d443a_c.jpg

DSC03165 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Out with the DA (should have borrowed brothers Rotary)

8776578573_3a93084a2d_c.jpg

DSC03164 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Eventually was left with this, still some work to do on the paintwork in general but the chips are pretty much gone now.

8776582489_0e6e375291_c.jpg

DSC03168 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8776418215_3751249c89_c.jpg

DSC03167 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

The marks in photo above are dust/polish.

June 2013

With myself currently having to do a 100+ mile a day commute to my new work and clocking up the miles on little red. I needed to 1. move closer but this was a pain with lack of houses for rent and cost or/and 2. buy a cheaper to run car to eat the miles up. Having failed at plan 1 I moved onto plan 2 and after looking at various cars from old BMW's to diesel clios to brand new cars I decided on a Citroen C1. Having driven a fair few miles behind wheel of these as local garage has them as courtesy cars. £20 a year tax, insurance group 1, 60+mpg, cheap servicing and running costs, relatively reliable (bar clutches) all for less than £3000. Several sold cars later and viewings I bought a 1.0l rhythm (middle of range), few dings and scrapes, filthy interior but mechanically honest and having had clutch done recently, I was happy enough.

9100730805_2be999b54c_c.jpg

IMG_4334 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

9100733295_7a3932d699_c.jpg

IMG_4332 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

New chapter

Little red will become more of a weekend and track car while the C1 will be mileage munching. Will be changing little red to a limited mileage policy to save some £££ and with the petrol saving alone the C1 will have paid for itself within 12 months. This will then in turn allow me to spend some money and time on little red and tweak it a bit more than I ever could as a daily driver and genaerally get it looking better than new as I wont have to do all work within a weekend.

The plans have always been a 'dream plan' but now will become reality hopefully and be to basically keep the Trophy a Trophy and not a modified Clio but will be even more special ;)

With myself having decided good while ago that the Trophy will never be sold as it's worth more to me than any realistic price I'd get for it, while I was down in London after Download festival last weekend (Which was amazing if you're a fan of decent music ;) I popped over to Martin's (v800mjh) to pickup a spare Turini. Was in amazing condition and a great price. Many thanks mate. So got two spare now 2 to get to have a spare set :)

9102966312_c31e9c5989_c.jpg
IMG_4252 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

9102965070_df202b5822_c.jpg
IMG_4328 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Still got few things to sort out with other things ... house :/ but plan will be to end up with an immaculate Trophy that will be even more special and yes will still be seeing the tarmac of race circuits.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Looking good Keith

I've only used mine once since March after I've out a quaiffe diff in.
but looking forward to 2 sprints next week

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Thanks :) Have you had chance to give the new diff a go yet or haven't you done any sprints?

I broke my heel just before the season started so just getting back to normality at the moment. Ive got 2 sprints next week at Aintree on the Saturday and Wigan on the Sunday.

So im just hopping to beat my times from last year.. I think I will be selling up this year I really fancy a 200 so not sure whether to leave the diff in or swap gearbox's

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
I broke my heel just before the season started so just getting back to normality at the moment. Ive got 2 sprints next week at Aintree on the Saturday and Wigan on the Sunday.

So im just hopping to beat my times from last year.. I think I will be selling up this year I really fancy a 200 so not sure whether to leave the diff in or swap gearbox's

:/ that's not good. Like you said hope you'll be as competitive mate.

The 200 is such a polished car to drive been tempted several times myself. If you do decide to remove and sell give me a shout.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Congratulations on the new job and new 'chapter', Keith. I'm glad things are looking up after a stressful week or two. I very much look forward to seeing your future plans and good call on keeping the Trophy. :D

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks Johnny :)

Congratulations on the new job and new 'chapter', Keith. I'm glad things are looking up after a stressful week or two. I very much look forward to seeing your future plans and good call on keeping the Trophy. :D

Thank you. Might not be that far from how yours is in certain aspects, got a spreadsheet all done with plans xD once yours is done have got a few questions I'd like to ask but will pm/fb mssg you if thats ok :)

​Glad you're happy with it Keith :)

​Very, thanks :) Wish i'd have had time to have a nosey at yours :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
You could have done. Not much different to yours though probably lol.

Had just literally sold my other car and seen the guy out, hence why my dad was standing around too.

Salesman that evening then lol, car looks like little weapon from your trackday videos/pics :) Hopefully see you out on track someday.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
August 2013

With my new plans, the first step was to get the 2/3 year old standard Trophy eibach springs off to keep for 1 so that I'll have a good set of standards and 2 to replace them with something a bit stiffer and slightly more tack focused.

Without going fully custom and to retain the Sachs I narrowed it down to two sets of springs. Cooksport and Eibach Sportline. Didn't want it to look like a Cup racer but a lower riding car would cosmetically look so much better . . . still unsure one morning I was on here, knew about the stock levels of cooksports, saw post that they were in stock and few min later I impulsively bought a set of cooksport springs.

A day or two later I had them. Took me a fair few weeks to actually fit them (Jesus on here will probably agree I took few weeks too much ;) Having cleared the garage out now I have somewhere to do work in shelter.

9380715726_4171ecfd03_c.jpg

DSC03592 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

First job was to measure the camber on the ground and then later directly onto the hub/disc. Quick iphone app and a straight edge and i got some values that would allow me to set the camber bolts back up to once I refitted them. Doesn't allow me to set up obviously but good enough to get them set back up.

9380712782_a02e9caeed_c.jpg

DSC03598 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Dampers off and yet again I'm surprised by the rust on them. Winter roads and the grit hammer them. And they really gave my topmounts a hard time. These will be getting stripped down, bearings replaced and bodies coated in near future.

9380699750_31986b04e2_c.jpg

DSC03606 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

9380696992_cc44ba4560_c.jpg

DSC03608 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

9377924309_da42a70325_c.jpg

DSC03609 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

All went well and in 30/45 min I had the corner back on and looking very different with non-yellow springs lol.

9380694062_0b382a6971_c.jpg

DSC03611 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Then onto the otherside.

9380691264_89e6578789_c.jpg

DSC03616 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

All torqued up and out for a quick drive. All felt nice and tight and I'd say slightly firmer, but nothing major over the standard Trophy setup tbh. More noticeable on the rear though. Overall very impressed with the ride. Although the ride height at rear I wasn't sure about at all but was going to see how it went over following few weeks.

9377902417_5d4e838ffe_c.jpg

DSC03632 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

9380687034_82f6d2b7fd_c.jpg

DSC03645 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

For Jamie (Jesus) I got a photo of the Cooksports with my track 2118's on. Not best photo due to the wheels and tires being so dusty.

9380705928_5b920a0f77_c.jpg

DSC03650 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Last edited:

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
August 2013 part 2

Having had the Cooksports on for good few weeks and my plan to fit my bilstein coilover rear adjusters having fallen flat on its face due to the standard coils being wound tighter than the bilstein ones. To raise the rear I had either to make new set of rear platform adjusters, get new set of springs made up or try Eibach springs on the rear.

I was leaning towards getting new rear springs made as I had enquired about them few years ago but when a set of Sportlines came up for sale here quite local to my work I grabbed them quickly. Day later I had them. Many thanks to chrisnic0 for arranging to meet up close to my work, hope you get and enjoy your new car.

9624997930_714c5fdabe_c.jpg

IMG_4912 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Ride height with the cooksports on rear.

9621704125_12d726f517_c.jpg

IMG_5067 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Difference in the way the springs are wound clear to see.

9624963230_6791fe8faa_c.jpg

IMG_5072 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Ride height with sportlines. Although maybe bit high as just down off stands.

9625127818_c346af4273_c.jpg

IMG_5073 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

9640225556_65b0131133_c.jpg

DSC03653 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

The difference between the Cooksport rears and Sportlines rears are very minimal if any. Maybe the Sportlines are a bit softer than the Cooksports maybe. I'm very happy with the results now and my new setup (Ride and stance)

Next plans are Koni rear dampers and then some fine tuning of the rear beam.

9640231632_acc135ca42_c.jpg

DSC03662 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Thank you / Diolch

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Looking good Keith ive just had my dampers unpinned and fitted Koni rear adjustable s i just need to play about with them now...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, Keith. Always a pleasure to read through your updates. It's good to see the pics and hear your thoughts on the setup with the Cooksports and Eibachs as it is something I'm contemplating myself. I might also take the opportunity to drop in the Pure Motorsport Top Mounts and strut combo. Decisions, decisions...

Better late than never! I think Sportlines all round would have given the ride height you were looking for. Looks spot on on the 15s though with Cooksports all round.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good Keith ive just had my dampers unpinned and fitted Koni rear adjustable s i just need to play about with them now...

Thanks :) Awesome Johnny, let me know how you get along with the Konis please :)

Superb read Keith.

Thank you :)

Nice one, Keith. Always a pleasure to read through your updates. It's good to see the pics and hear your thoughts on the setup with the Cooksports and Eibachs as it is something I'm contemplating myself. I might also take the opportunity to drop in the Pure Motorsport Top Mounts and strut combo. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you Andy. Will wait until track outing to give a full opinion on the new setup. With the spec of yours I'd deffinately get the pure motorsport top mounts on, it's a brilliant kit and makes such a great improvement. A protective coating other than the standard one is all i'd suggest for a road car :)

Looks so much better like that, cooksports on the back looked way to low imo on a trophy.

Thank you :) Yeah, was looking borderline broken tbh especially with the turinis on.

Better late than never! I think Sportlines all round would have given the ride height you were looking for. Looks spot on on the 15s though with Cooksports all round.

Haha. Maybe but from photos i'd seen it looked bit higher on front, this setup maintains the rake down :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
March 2014

Not much has been happening other than my workhorse of a Trophy become a bit of a Garage Queen with me using another car to do all my commuting.

The Trophy being all tucked up on the farm in the garage.

Being all grown up and sensible I'm in middle of buying my own house so funds have been going towards that mainly but managed to put funds towards some steel to re-sheet the garage and build new doors with my brother as Garage needed some tlc.

Next plans are to get underneath and engine bay painted and cleaned up.

Had some paint bought over a year ago but saw VHT had some 'cast aluminium engine enamel' paint, so bought a some as the previous high temerature aluminium paint I'd bought had a too much of a painted silver look to it rather than the bare cast OE look I wanted (without the oxidisation) the VHT paint imo has exactly that.

Far inlet is the VHT paint, the middle two are the Hycote and the near inlet is just cleaned with Race Glaze stuff and brass wire brush.

13411177514_0d6fd7a40f_c.jpg

My new collection of VHT paints for the engine bay, I can't praise this stuff enough, good quality paint with the best spray pattern I've seen from an aerosol.

13411186544_677ea446fd_z.jpg

Once the engine bay is done (as best as I can with engine in sittu) then I'll move onto the underneath and then a trip to Birchdown for the guys to give little red a service.

Hopefully will be buying the Roll center/bump steer correction hubs too from Mark and James :)

13410810735_420b312c68_c.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
And since when has buying a house been more important than your car?! :p

It's good to see that the garage queen is getting a bit of attention whilst your time and finances are prioritised elsewhere. Good luck with the engine bay painting; I'm not sure I'd have the patience with it in situ! Stick some pics up once done as it would be good to see the final results.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
And since when has buying a house been more important than your car?! :p

It's good to see that the garage queen is getting a bit of attention whilst your time and finances are prioritised elsewhere. Good luck with the engine bay painting; I'm not sure I'd have the patience with it in situ! Stick some pics up once done as it would be good to see the final results.

If I could have persuaded bank it would have been a massive garage with a bed in it lol.

I'll be taking as much of the front end off as I can (bumper, rad, slam panel etc) needs to be done sooner rather than later and realistically it'll be at least 12 months before engine comes out for other work. Will do mate :)

Any new news with yours?

Clio Trophy
i wish i had a garage to work in, my dad is some sort of compulsive hoarder :p and there is no room in a double!! garage for a car :(

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any new news with yours?
I look forward to the pics as and when they arrive mate :) As for mine, yes - it's all done bar the mapping. It turns over and all is good, but Fred wasn't wanting to run it too long as the map on their is shocking; probably responsible for killing off my old engine to be honest!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Going backwards as I forgot some ...

September 2013

With car being in garage I thought this was perfect opportunity to finally sort out the bodywork properly, had bought meguaiar's microfiber correction stuff probably 18 months previously to try out as I could barely correct any marks with foam pads on the Trophy with a DA.

So washed, clayed and cracked on with the cutting compound, glazed and finished with some Zaino sealant to try to prevent pink-ing ;)

13518441295_e332ec5702_z.jpg

Took several weekends to get it sorted but end results were these.

13518516963_7d3fc1ed37_z.jpg

13518537213_3d7b3800ae_z.jpg

December 2013

With the Trophy not getting much use over winter I invested in a CTEK charger and hard wired their connector into engine bay.

13518480863_3217334c5d_z.jpg

Reactions: Gus

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
March 2014

Sun was out today and what better excuse to get my little red Trophy out for a drive through the Welsh countryside.

13518502903_c04d5abdcd_z.jpg

Along with a few opportunities to take a few photos, didn't have much time to play around rather be driving and didn't have much charge on camera so sorry about the photos themselves.

13518377755_21b43276f8_z.jpg

13518344535_be4c8e9129_z.jpg

13518358995_00f51412c5_z.jpg

13518662514_90b903400b_z.jpg

And over the winter had taken the brake ducts off to re paint them. Had done a quick job on them almost 3 years ago and they needed a skim of filler and fresh paint. Ordered some pro-bolt screws and nuts (had to use cheap and nasty 'ebay rust solid and round head off after few months specials' last time due to needing them quickly and pro-bolt had no stock of length I needed)

13518634574_16cef42f09_z.jpg

Bought some new wheelarch liner screws too to get my ducts refitted :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
This is amazing mate.

I want mine to be like this at some point

Thanks Marc, I had been waiting a long time to get it like this, as a daily it just was too much work to do without garage. Would highly recommend the mircofiber pads with DA for Trophy paintwork, so easy and got results I wanted. Amigo glaze is brilliant too :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
I look forward to the pics as and when they arrive mate :) As for mine, yes - it's all done bar the mapping. It turns over and all is good, but Fred wasn't wanting to run it too long as the map on their is shocking; probably responsible for killing off my old engine to be honest!

Thanks mate. That historical work done on yours doesn't get any better does it lol. Been in safe hands now though and can't wait to see the results :)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Thanks Marc, I had been waiting a long time to get it like this, as a daily it just was too much work to do without garage. Would highly recommend the mircofiber pads with DA for Trophy paintwork, so easy and got results I wanted. Amigo glaze is brilliant too :)

Keith I'm going to be paying someone to do mine.

My idea of a detail is a good snow foam car wash and rinse along with a quick polish using some micro finer cloths

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
i wish i had a garage to work in, my dad is some sort of compulsive hoarder :p and there is no room in a double!! garage for a car :(

If I could have shown you photos from past of the garage there's been everything in there from unfinished projects of my brother to Dads Sheep lol. Dad's same but after years of clearing it out he accepted in end it's better to be tidy and serve a purpose other than storage xD

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nicely done, Keith - the paintwork has come up beautifully. Capsicum Red is often criticised by folks but it looks fantastic when it's got that deep, glossy shine. It's great to see that you were able to get out and have a drive, too. :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Nicely done, Keith - the paintwork has come up beautifully. Capsicum Red is often criticised by folks but it looks fantastic when it's got that deep, glossy shine. It's great to see that you were able to get out and have a drive, too. :)

Thanks Andy. Made up with it tbh, it needed to be done for years tbh. Miss driving it so much, almost 7 years on and still puts a smile on my face :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Mate, after today's 'luck' with mine it looks like I'll be doing similar and needing to get the dampers refurbed / rebuilt / replaced again. I'll be interested in your thoughts once they've been fitted... :) I can wait. LOL!