ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy #185's story

Clio Trophy
What happened? It'll be second time mine will have been done. Looks like after first rebuild they need it every 2-3 years then :/

there still has to be many factors that effect when they need a rebuild though, mine had better not need a rebuild any time soon :p

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What happened? It'll be second time mine will have been done. Looks like after first rebuild they need it every 2-3 years then :/

there still has to be many factors that effect when they need a rebuild though, mine had better not need a rebuild any time soon :p

Keith, the driver's side damper failed (and put me in a grumpy mood, for which I apologise!) :eek: Zero damping and a very crashy ride (with a fair bit of knocking). When getting them refurbished (and prior to refitting them) I would definitely recommend taking some extra time and care to treat them with your favourite life-prolonging products. I can't say what caused the failure but it wouldn't hurt to protect them against the elements. :)

Mikey, the variation in miles between rebuilds can vary greatly from what I've seen. From memory, I managed to get to 80,000+ miles before having to get mine done for the first time! And that was with hard driving and a liberal sprinkling of track days throw in over the years... Hopefully you will see similarly lengthy periods of health for your Sachs! (Ooer, that sounds dodgy...)

M2 Comp
I'm sure I read on the Trophy forum that somebody had managed 116k out of theres!

Mine will most probably need doing soon as they were last done four years ago :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
August 2013

ypuje8as.jpg

Thanks Mark and James
Your welcome Keith!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Keith, the driver's side damper failed (and put me in a grumpy mood, for which I apologise!) :eek: Zero damping and a very crashy ride (with a fair bit of knocking). When getting them refurbished (and prior to refitting them) I would definitely recommend taking some extra time and care to treat them with your favourite life-prolonging products. I can't say what caused the failure but it wouldn't hurt to protect them against the elements. :)

Balls, not good to hear. Id deffinately recomend getting a pair of cup dampers to throw on, if youre (im assuming ;) planning on keeping car long its a deffinate investment in my opinion and even new I don't think theyre more than £50-60 each. I've got second hand set of them for mine. If you're in trouble with them let me know I can always send my set down to tie you over while you get something/yours sorted.

I'm sure I read on the Trophy forum that somebody had managed 116k out of theres!

Mine will most probably need doing soon as they were last done four years ago :(

@SharkyUK

the last owner of my car had them done at about 76k, so that must be about there limit

From reading and my own experience I think it's mainly time thats main factor in the seals lifespan on them. Mines been used on track etc and used everyday and others used as weekend cars only, different mileage but same result with requiring rebuild.

All I'd say to anyone is dont run them too long if you think they're loosing/lost pressure/oil as you risk damaging the piston in them and like I had to pay and extra £100 for new one.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Balls, not good to hear. Id deffinately recomend getting a pair of cup dampers to throw on, if youre (im assuming ;) planning on keeping car long its a deffinate investment in my opinion and even new I don't think theyre more than £50-60 each. I've got second hand set of them for mine. If you're in trouble with them let me know I can always send my set down to tie you over while you get something/yours sorted.
Thanks for the advice and offer, Keith. Thankfully a friend local to me rolled up yesterday with a spare set of Cup dampers and they are now on the car. They will keep me going for a while and - yes - I may well invest in a pair sometime soon as well. :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the advice and offer, Keith. Thankfully a friend local to me rolled up yesterday with a spare set of Cup dampers and they are now on the car. They will keep me going for a while and - yes - I may well invest in a pair sometime soon as well. :)

Thats good news, have fun seeig the difference between the cup and sachs, differance is staggering tbh. Need anything anytime just let me know.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Is this the bump steer that northloopcup is doing . Looks amazing. is that what the zinc coating looks like on the hub?

oh and is that the brembo 4 pot adapter too?

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is this the bump steer that northloopcup is doing . Looks amazing. is that what the zinc coating looks like on the hub?

It most certainly is mate. The hubs were sent to me already shot blasted and cleaned up - made such an improvement! They impressed me that much, I sent a picture to James and got him to upload it on here when they'd been done!! The machined parts are zinc plated mate, but not the hub.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah that's the ones from Mark. All exposed parts have been spray painted on the hubs along with some of the zinc coated parts for extra durability from rust and to give an OEM look.

And yeah those are the 280mm brembo brackets from Chris.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Having read on detailing world about a technique (Similar to Dr Colourchips road rash kit instructions) I wanted to try this, bought some touchup kit and mixing both the colour and clear together in equal parts, using a lighter fluid coated cloth I smeared the paint over and across the chips trying to be as neat as possible.

8783134548_aec2edf54e_c.jpg
DSC03154
by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Bonnet left looking like this which was a bit daunting haha.

8776569351_11cd779423_c.jpg
DSC03160

8782993604_61a95d443a_c.jpg
DSC03165

Out with the DA (should have borrowed brothers Rotary)

8776578573_3a93084a2d_c.jpg
DSC03164

Eventually was left with this, still some work to do on the paintwork in general but the chips are pretty much gone now.

8776582489_0e6e375291_c.jpg
DSC03168

8776418215_3751249c89_c.jpg
DSC03167

The marks in photo above are dust/polish.

@Keith185 Have you got a link to the thread on DW regarding the stone chip technique using the cloth? Looks a lot less work/easier than having to wetland blobs of paint down

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Keith, Had found them eventually last night.

How did you find the Paints4U paint?

Found it a perfect match. Used the touch up kit in my Clio and used an aerosol on little brothers car where I had to spray only bumper and looked perfectly matched.

I'd recommend them Jamie.

Autopaint - St. Helens is another that's great but not sure they're still going anymore.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Had seen a few people mention in on that thread that it wasn't the best but their posts were a few years old now. Shall get some off them once i know what my paintcode is. Looking forward to getting the front end tidied up hopefully will save me a proper respray, 2 years of TD's have certainly taken their toll on the front end

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Winter 2014
Not much happened but got on with a few little jobs to tidy it up end of last year.

ENGINE BAY
With me not using it every day anymore oxidisation of the bare aluminium parts was even more apparent than it has been. With me having bought all the paints 6+ months ago I got on with finally getting the upper engine bay painted. Paint of choice was my favorite VHT paints engine enamel in aluminium colour.
Extent of oxidistation
15769850393_bb455c0bc2_c.jpg
DSC04230 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Prep work
Using various Brass wire brushes and RaceGlaze Aluminium cleaner.
15767408654_47e445e003_c.jpg
DSC04236 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Primed
16203641999_d69a8bf2c1_c.jpg
DSC04240 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

15769848923_bdaaca01d3_c.jpg
DSC04242 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Top Coat
16203641089_04fde28493_c.jpg
DSC04244 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

15769847913_4574c85f2e_c.jpg
DSC04246 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Finished
16388938392_2b1b01a373_c.jpg
IMG_7804 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

WHEEL ARCHES
First time the rear part of the front arches had been off and wasn't too bad considering the cars been living on a ffarm most of it's life. Used Bilt-Hamber's range of underseals due to the great reviews and not having to mess around with spray guns. Again as is the trend with me I had had these last autumn but didnt get round to undersealing.

16202453110_9254427c0e_c.jpg
IMG_8095 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Was using Bilt-Hamber's UB and UC range for the arches. Using the UC (Clear stuff) for anywhere that didn't have any underseal from factor and the UB (Dark brown/Black stuff) for anywhere that had been undersealed by Renault as I was trying to protect the underside but not make it look un-original wanted to retain the factory finish where I can.

UC
16363883016_4159b3d9c9_c.jpg
IMG_8100 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

UB
With arch liners back on with new fixings where needed
15769847443_10ab0c6ccd_c.jpg
DSC04277 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

A quick before and after of the arches. Sorry for some of the photo quality, work was done over a week and sometimes had my dslr othertimes just phone.

Before
16203638249_01bd0ba2cb_c.jpg
IMG_8113 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

After
16363884456_2b9a342a58_c.jpg
DSC04278 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Really happy with finish, was worried the UB would have a brown finish but looked black to me.

BRAKE DUCTS
Following taking these off the car to repaint them quite a few months ago . . . :3 Finally got around to refitting them with nice new pro bolt fixings and new ducting.
16363882556_fcd1ee19c7_c.jpg
IMG_8128 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

16389855305_d38b57906d_c.jpg
IMG_8131 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

That's all done up to end of year.

Busy year planned for 2015 with Trackday in April at Donington Park with brother and few of his friends along, first one i've done in a couple of years now, feels like an age I was out on track last.

Hopefully will get round to fitting the new roll correction/bump steer hubs lol along with Brembo 4 pot calipers (calipers enroute as I type this)

Hope anyone who's taken time to look/read has enjoyed and hopefull this year the'll be plenty of updates on my Trophy as it comes up to being 10 years old.
Thank you / Diolch yn Fawr

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the update, Keith. It's good to see it having a bit of TLC. The wheel arches have come up nicely and the engine bay looks nice and fresh after painting :) Fair play.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
What brake ducts are they?

Look neat.
They're ones guy on here, Damien (cant' remember his username) made in a group buy here 3-4 years ago. He used the genuine cup racer ducts design but mouleded them onto standard foglamp surrounds so they fit tidyer than the cup racer ones and needed minimal cutting of the bumper. The original fixing points for foglamps and the surrounds are retained.

Cheers for the update, Keith. It's good to see it having a bit of TLC. The wheel arches have come up nicely and the engine bay looks nice and fresh after painting :smile: Fair play.
Thanks Andy :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
What brake ducts are they?

Look neat.
They're ones guy on here, Damien (cant' remember his username) made in a group buy here 3-4 years ago. He used the genuine cup racer ducts design but mouleded them onto standard foglamp surrounds so they fit tidyer than the cup racer ones and needed minimal cutting of the bumper. The original fixing points for foglamps and the surrounds are retained.

Cheers for the update, Keith. It's good to see it having a bit of TLC. The wheel arches have come up nicely and the engine bay looks nice and fresh after painting :smile: Fair play.

Thanks Andy :)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi Keith, do you know what paint was used to paint the hubs as well as any primer. Also did you remove the bearings when you had it shot blasted.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Keith, do you know what paint was used to paint the hubs as well as any primer. Also did you remove the bearings when you had it shot blasted.
I used VHT Paints range of engine enamels to prime and top coat the hubs but have tried other products and Hycote Aluminium Paint is very similar for lot less cost, think they've got their own range of engine enamels too.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...aints-and-primers/paints/?552776141&0&cc5_159

The hubs were cleaned up using Bilt-Hamber Deox C anti rust bath, i cleaned them up with old bearing still on but only because i was getting them replaced same time as the machine work, otherwise I'd have removed them before hand.
http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-treatments/deox-c

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Really appreciate that Keith! Ive ordered the Deox C just now and will get the paint after work. I am toying with the idea of some sort of plating possibly zinc but dont know how that will hold up compared to paint.
Thanks mate !

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Really appreciate that Keith! Ive ordered the Deox C just now and will get the paint after work. I am toying with the idea of some sort of plating possibly zinc but dont know how that will hold up compared to paint.
Thanks mate !
No worries. The Deox C stuff is amazing.
I'm not overly happy with zinc coatings as they don't seem to last especially when you factor grit and water. I tend now to key zinc coatings now and paint over them for extra protection.
If you can get them zinc coated for good price I'd be tempted to zinc coat and paint over parts, just make sure to use acid etch. I work in Steel industry and some of our products are zinc/galvanised then painted on top that allows us to give an even longer guarantee on the product.

Reactions: Gus

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Loving the engine re-spray Keith, it looks great! I really need to get round to doing mine. What paint and consumables did you use?