ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy booked in to Renault

A4 Avant
My cars started making a knocking noise when I back off the throttle in traffic, sound like a suspension clunk or engine mount. Hopefully nothing too serious.

I know others have had nocking noises, does this sound similar?

Visited Renault Birmimgham this morning to book it in, arranged for first thing tomorrow. Not bad! No courtesy car though, luckily I only work ten minutes walk form there.

Is there anything I should look out for? Ask them not to wash it, record mileage etc. or should I be more trusting?:D

106 GTi
Sounds like the engine mounts, hope its not suspension related with those Sachs dampers.

Let the wash it if you want it swirled up!

Lee

BMW M2C
Engine mounts, top one on the drivers side usually. That's what mine was doing there recently. The fix lasted a month, but it's doing it again now.

Only 2k until it's 12k service so I'll get it done then. Plus my exhaust is rattling also.

Make sure they don't wash it as they usually put rings in the paintwork. Who's your service guy? If it's Chris Green tell him Lee says hello. He'll know who you mean. lol You'll probably end up chatting cars to him for ages.

A4 Avant
It does sound like the drivers side. Muppet on the service desk was trying to tell me it was a clutch problem. The guy next to him had to take over, this guy seemed quite knowledgable!

I don't know who's servicing it, if it's is Chris Green I'll say Hi.

Think I'm going to leave a huge sign inside saying "Do not wash!"

Lee

BMW M2C
Chris always writes in huge letters "DON'T WASH" on the job sheet, usually accompanied with a see me, as he knows what I'm talking about. His is the Racing blue 182 with aftermarket wheels parked on the street out back.

Last edited:
  RS Clio 182 Trophy
A Trophy's have had suspension knocking, but if it's happening in when you let off the throtle, might be engine mounts. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Tangoed Works
How do you lot drive your car if these problems occur so soon if at all. I know the car is designed to take some stick , but a knackered engine mount on a brand new car is crazy!! Each to their own I guess.

A4 Avant
It does get driven quite hard, more so enthusiastically.:D From what i've read, I think it's just the engine mount needs tightening or tweaking not replacing. (I hope). Just as long as it's all under warranty i don't mind!

Lee, i'll keep a look out for his car. Haven't seen it around before!

Lee

BMW M2C
When it gets to the point where the car is in at least once a week you start learn to live with these faults. This is my third Renault Sport Clio so I'm used to them by now.

My Trophy went in 6 times before they sorted the temperature sensor fault and 3 for the knocking from the engine mount.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Trophy is a bag of spanners and will rattle and knock no matter what I do. As long as it stays together and doesn't break down I'll be happy.

I'll put money on them not having the mount in stock, meaning they'll have to book you in again Nige. That's what they did to mine. When I had it done on the 182 they did a bodge which fixed it for good. That was done by Sutton Park though, not Renault Brum.

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 87
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
  A4 Avant
Thanks for that Lee, I can't quite make out what the mod is that Renault carried out in the pictures. I'll print them out and go and compare to mine when the rain stops.

I hadn't realised it was going to be a new engine mount!:mad:

If they have had quite a few go back with this knocking you'd think they'd get someone to take the car out straight away to confirm it and then book the car in once when they have ordered the engine mount!

As far as rattles go, I can live with the interior ones, but mechanical ones are going to have to be fixed by Renault!

Lee

BMW M2C
On my 182 they just straightened them up and packed them with white goo. I told Renault Birmingham about that and they were going to do the same. Unfortunately they had to replace the mount this time.

I'm going to wait for the exhaust to fall to bits as it should do soon. lol

RS Clio 182 Trophy
How do you lot drive your car if these problems occur so soon if at all. I know the car is designed to take some stick , but a knackered engine mount on a brand new car is crazy!! Each to their own I guess.

I can see where your coming from jayxx83, but my 182 went into Renault 5 times for various probs which did get sorted so as Lee said, 'you get used to it' and just enjoy driving it.

Lee

BMW M2C
adtmits said:
lol..... this thread reallys sells renault build quality. ;)

Is it your clutch or gearbox that needs replacing?

I can live with my rattles and knocks. lol

Mines just come up to 10k and has done a couple of track days and a hard drive around the South of France.

A4 Avant
Mines done 2500 miles and the furthest its been in one journey is about 100 miles:eek: .

I'm planning to get more use this summer as Winter driving sucks when trying to keep the car clean!

I must admit all 2500 miles have been driven with a huge grin!:D

Ad

MK2 FRS
Lee said:
Is it your clutch or gearbox that needs replacing?

I can live with my rattles and knocks. lol

Mines just come up to 10k and has done a couple of track days and a hard drive around the South of France.

neither...... you cant replace thin air;)

Good luck with getting sorted Nige.

RS Clio 182 Trophy
Cool, i'll hopefully get a few track days under my belt soon. I've done 6000 but will give it a good drive to le mans, clock up a few miles.
Mines not too bad to keep clean as it's been supagrded. Just quick rinse with the hose and it done. I'll have to agree with you though, the miles i've done have been some of the best driving miles since I had my old skool mini cooper.

The Jinx
Mine's just hit 125k and it's had the same gearbox and mounts for the last 30+k.

I'm sorry but every 2k is s**t and I'd be giving it back and demanding a refund under the sales of goods act.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
my clio 182 has this knocking problem - does it affect the car or the proformance of the car???

RenaultSport clio 172
I also have this knocking sound in my clio, if it is engine mounts, how much do these cost?

Tangoed Works
Shiiit, seems like its a common fault. I only tend to plant my foot once the car is roling. All those stand still starts is bound to put stress on the components, especially with the high power output of these cars.

A4 Avant
Well I took the car into Renault this morning. Guess what........... Its the engine mount. They also don't have any in stock so it needs to be booked back in after easter! And they made me late for work by having to wait around for them faffing around! Grr!:mad:

Lee

BMW M2C
As expected mate. They don't seem to stock any parts for the RenaultSport cars, even though the mount is the same on other Clios in the range.

My boss hates Renault Birmingham more than me for the amount of time I spend taking and picking up the car. Plus he usually has to give me a lift.