ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy price slips?...

Golf R
yup Trophy prices have fallen through the floor in the last 6 weeks... loads of people selling up. most definitely a buyers market market now. I'm glad i managed to sell mine for the price i did before the prices started dropping big style

Clio 182 + Recaros
I guess its the 2 year cycle where a lot of people want to move their car on.

I have seen quite a few Trophys for sale recently, whilst I'm not in the market - I wouldn't want one with 2 or more owners which seems quite common.

I remember a while ago on here (I think when they came out) people predicted that they would have good residual values.

That doesn't seem to be the case for them at the moment.

Golf R
I remember a while ago on here (I think when they came out) people predicted that they would have good residual values.

That doesn't seem to be the case for them at the moment.

2 main reasons why values are crap atm... dealers still don't know how to value them so book them value wise the same as a Cup. If you're offered 8k for your car trade-in, rule of thumb you think you've done well if you sell it for 9k. Not everyone knows what their car is worth and thinks that selling for 9k is a win-win situation - after all they've got another 1k in the bank and more than what the dealer wanted.

the second reason is that people suddenly want to sell up quickly - as the market is flooded with Trophy's there is an abundance of seemingly identical cars for sale. the only way to make yours appeal to a buyer is to price it lower than the next one. i've noticed with people selling they are getting themselves into a pricing war with each other by constantly knocking hundreds off the price of their car - basically doing the haggling for the buyer.

I advertised my Trophy for best part of 6 weeks, knocked 500 quid off the price in that time based on what others were selling for and sold mine for 10900 with 16k miles.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
All the ones for sale at present are 20K + miles & more.

Mine is still only at 11K & 2 years old.

The market dictates low mileage cars are wanted.

Low mileage cars sell, high mileage hang around.

Which would you rather have???

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The trophy is very much a grey area out of warranty.

The suspension is expensive to maintain/replace, which is not an exciting prospect for new owners. i don't expect the premium over existing 182's to last much longer.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
at the end of the day it is just another RS so i alays expected them to fall off in price as per all RS's.

I echo Tom's comments re the expensive suspension. I wouldn't like one of them going bang out of warranty tbh.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Faced with the option of saving over a thousand pounds for a car with 20k on it as opposed to one with 11k on it ,i would go for the 20k one sorry
20k is nothing in terms of miles anyway.Now if it was a saving of a grand for a car with 50k on it i would find the rest to buy the 11k one

ian

Tangoed Works
its true its more compromised as an everyday driver as it has less toys. only appeals to the true drivers out there. Most people just see it as a limited run and dont appreciate the differences that make the car what it is.

I think a lot of people have been doing the enjoy now worry later approach to their cars. Ive noticed a lot of these sporty cars with like 3 owners and only a couple of years old.

Those who have thought out their purchase and kept for a period of time and looked after it regardless of mileage will always get a higher premium then those who impulse buy a car then have to off load cheaply to pay off astronomic finance.

I would avoid these also, as i question whether they could have afforded to run and service the car properly.

Clio 182 + Recaros
its true its more compromised as an everyday driver as it has less toys. only appeals to the true drivers out there. Most people just see it as a limited run and dont appreciate the differences that make the car what it is.

I think a lot of people have been doing the enjoy now worry later approach to their cars. Ive noticed a lot of these sporty cars with like 3 owners and only a couple of years old.

Those who have thought out their purchase and kept for a period of time and looked after it regardless of mileage will always get a higher premium then those who impulse buy a car then have to off load cheaply to pay off astronomic finance.

I would avoid these also, as i question whether they could have afforded to run and service the car properly.

Totally agree. The Trophy is a fantastic car - like all 172/182's they either seem to be minters or munters - with no middle ground.

CTR/Fabia vRS

Not entirely true Steve. Mine is sitting just over 16,000 miles and for the condition etc I think it is fairly priced.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Faced with the option of saving over a thousand pounds for a car with 20k on it as opposed to one with 11k on it ,i would go for the 20k one sorry
20k is nothing in terms of miles anyway.Now if it was a saving of a grand for a car with 50k on it i would find the rest to buy the 11k one

ian

Good point ian. Also as we all know the RS clios get faster the more miles they have done.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i think the rare factor is certainly running out as now the market is awash.

Plus i think the arrival of the 197 and R27 kinda puts it in the yesterdays new category.

182 Trophy & Megabusa
i think the main reason has already been stated. Because alot of people like to change cars every 2 years....they are 2 years old now and so alot of people are selling....nobody likes to keep a car too long.

As there are so many up for sale people are trying to go cheaper than each other obviously bringing prices of pretty much every one down. Once alot of these are sold and there are only 5 or 10 for sale, prices will obviously rise again.

The R27 and 197 arrival haven't helped matters tho.

I think that in a normal situation trophy's should always be higher priced than a similar mileage 182, although they don't have to be seeing as 182ff's were more expensive from new weren't they?

Trophy 265/500
yup Trophy prices have fallen through the floor in the last 6 weeks... loads of people selling up. most definitely a buyers market market now. I'm glad i managed to sell mine for the price i did before the prices started dropping big style

WICKED CHILD

wickedchild.jpg

There is a slight drop, but when you think you've had two years fun driving for effectively £3K, it's still the value.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

If it's in warranty none of that would even cause my balls to itch.

Re: the Sachs dampers out of warranty, I think an extended warranty wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, especially if you just got a limited policy that covers the suspension only....

Clio 182
I think people tend to forget cars depreciate over time, there not gonna stay up at £10-11k as they get older, when they're 3 yrs old they'll likely to be worth about £8k (based on a 60% residual).

Black 197
Driven one,couldnt tell any difference to a cup. Wouldnt dream of buying one for a penny more than equivilant cup. Majority are all 2 owner ex demo cars anyway.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
lmao at how this thread has turned.....
The usual very amusing CS drivel, Gaz n' Dave, what exactly is your car ownership experience? They are a better car, why the feck would all the press and owners (who drive them) rave about them?

If you couldn't tell the difference between a Trophy and a Cup you shouldn't call yourself a driver. They are noticably different in ride and the seats make the car 'feel' different as they hold you in position a hell of a lot better than the standard 182 seats.... I can't believe i've risen to this :quiet:

Black 197
306 gti, mk2 ph 1 172, tt 225 and 197. Only the 225 was a slip up as a "drivers car" On the road, I will stand by my comment I couldnt tell any difference to a standard Cup. You can get the recaros in a cup. You own it, you like it, I drove it, I couldnt justify the premium. You prob wouldnt buy a 197, I have.

cup 182 mit stripes
Could'nt tell the dif' between the cup and trophy?? Probably better of in undemanding 197. lol