ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tuning mk2 diesel van

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
tbh i know they are a good company but id rather trust my engine in the hands of a remaped ecu than a chip tunning box which increase fuel pressure so im told

clio 1.5dc1
tbh i know they are a good company but id rather trust my engine in the hands of a remaped ecu than a chip tunning box which increase fuel pressure so im told
ill take that as good advise my black box is fully adjustable so i might be able to turn the fuel preasure down a little many thanks

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i think they are around 64hp gave or take the mileage of the engine. if its been serviced decently over the years, then it should still be a healthy figure :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
not sure if the 1.9 engine fits as its something i looked into before my conversion.. also the sport conversion is cheaper than the meggy derv setup.. and there hardly common.. as far as i know mine is the only van with the 1*2 engine in

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
well i stand corrected if thiers only yours with a 1*2 conversion :S. as for my idea with the meggy derv conversion, i will be doing some research into the size, parts and what not thats needed.

quick question why is the 1*2 conversion cheaper than a meggy derv setup? insurance wise or the parts and modifications needed to do it.

ryan

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
well i stand corrected if thiers only yours with a 1*2 conversion :S. as for my idea with the meggy derv conversion, i will be doing some research into the size, parts and what not thats needed.

quick question why is the 1*2 conversion cheaper than a meggy derv setup? insurance wise or the parts and modifications needed to do it.

ryan

only one in a van btw.. obv there is loads in non rs clio's.

when i was comparing engines/prices the 1.9 dci lump was fetching around 1400 ( engine, turbo, ancilaries etc) .. then you would need a full loom and to then make it fit a clio.. then exhaust etc.

or.. you can buy a sport for v cheap nowadays take all the bits you need from it. you will then probably make your money back on breaking + weigh in etc.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
ah i see, im looking to do this in 2years time maybe so hopefully i can get a writen off meggy 1.9 dci and retro fit it into my clio shell. if all else fails, i shall look into rs lumps from either are mk2 or mk3.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
2 years time ? thats alot of forward planning.. any reason why ?

yeah no doubt they will be alot cheaper by then but its still gonna be a pig to do.. and time consuming.. the 172 stuff is plug and play.. were as the meggy will require a few wiring adjustments

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
my dad will be retire'n from work in two years and we both said we want a project to do and as i want to keep the clio, we've both decided to mess around with a engine conversion.

i dnt perticually want to fit an rs lump as i like deisels alot more than a petrol.

tbh anything thats hard for me, usually will be easy for my dad as he is an aircraft fitter by trade.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
fair enough. just depends how good you are with electronics.. remember u essentially have 2 ecu's to keep happy on there.. hard enough of a job when its a standard car lol.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
im okay enough with electronics, got a city and guilds lv2 qualification in electronics so im confident enogh tp take the task on. what ypu mean by two ecu's ??

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
electrical engineering or sparkie ? 2 very very different things.

1 ecu controls the engine, ignition timing, fuelling etc. and the 2nd controls the interior.. dash, imob, CL, EW etc etc. the uch is the biggest pain as there the most temperamental ( interior ecu)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
electical engineering lv 2 done via a night course and currently in my last year of electrical installations ie sparky.

oh great looks like this is going to be a really fun wiring job. i'll have to aquire a digram of both clio and megan wiring and then see which bts need going where and so on. will i have to change the decoder ring and locks??

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
1.9 is a w**k engine tbh if going to the massive effort of doing it id do the 2.0 16v DCi 150/175 from the megane, much much better and more powerful engine. overkill in a clio though! would destroy a 172 imo!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
hmmmmm might have to look into the 2.0 16v dci engine. i agree it would be a little mental in a clio but the thought of being able to keep up with a 2.0 rs is intertaining

hmmmmm might have to look into the 2.0 16v dci engine. i agree it would be a little mental in a clio but the thought of being able to keep up with a 2.0 rs is intertaining
Assuming your talking about speed on track etc you don't need any more power to do that or handiling /brakes for that matter.
1.9 is a w**k engine tbh if going to the massive effort of doing it id do the 2.0 16v DCi 150/175 from the megane, much much better and more powerful engine. overkill in a clio though! would destroy a 172 imo!
Yep even standard there goodd reamps and your oveer 200hp
fair enough. just depends how good you are with electronics.. remember u essentially have 2 ecu's to keep happy on there.. hard enough of a job when its a standard car lol.
There are ways round it either run the old ECU with the new engine and reamp to suit or swap the whole electrics and run it like that.
yep, I have the 1.9d mk2 ph1 van. any idea on power?
That engine came in a few sepcs 65/80 and 100 hp from memory
depends on what i can fit in the already crammed engine bay, from memory the 1.9 dci engine is something from a 100hp to something high. i knw the meggy sport model with a dci engine was producing high 100's from factory
Top 1.9 was 150hp from memory Megan sport 2.0 was 175hp
or a vag engine would be cool. What HP is the 1.9 dci?
depends they run from 100 ish to 180. Vag would be good but much bigger.
sounds about right. i knw this is a stupid question but being as the dci engine is direct injection, is thier anyway of uprating the fuel delivery components to increase hp-torque?
Yep use 80 or 100 injectors and code them any more and you need to go custom and lead the way.
actually i think in the later ones they had 70hp but it was the same engine
intercooled was the differece
If you're only starting with 65 lazy French horses, you'll need: FMIC, injectors, (fuel pump?), turbo, remap ...
If you have 65 and want 100 easy enough intercooler and a remap can do it just I'd recomend new 80/100 injectors and a remap though as well to garenteen it and a bit more.
It will be an epic van though, Full rs bodykit & recaro's , How much do you think the injectors and other bits would cost?
Custom if you want more than the 80/100 inectors pump can be upgraded but again custom.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
my mind has litterally just exploded reading all that :eek:. as regards to the first reply of mine you did about the 2.0 dci engine, yes the intensions would be to build a deisel drag clio. and maybe track it.

my mind has litterally just exploded reading all that :eek:. as regards to the first reply of mine you did about the 2.0 dci engine, yes the intensions would be to build a deisel drag clio. and maybe track it.
Twin engined k9k would be an intersting project for drag strip.

Or find a car with similar width and drop a CLio sell over the running gear a Suburu would be a good choice just need a bit out the lenght and the rear arches on the clio widening.

If you want a drag race machine though might be better with a VAG engine fitment as there loads of tunning stuff for them ie bigger injectors and turbo kits plus the boxes are generally stronger. Depends how much your going to throw at it i recon a truly stripped and cut to the bone stock kk would be quite impressive.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Twin engined k9k would be an intersting project for drag strip.

Or find a car with similar width and drop a CLio sell over the running gear a Suburu would be a good choice just need a bit out the lenght and the rear arches on the clio widening.

If you want a drag race machine though might be better with a VAG engine fitment as there loads of tunning stuff for them ie bigger injectors and turbo kits plus the boxes are generally stronger. Depends how much your going to throw at it i recon a truly stripped and cut to the bone stock kk would be quite impressive.

thanks edde i will look into VAG conversions then. depends on what their is at the time of coming to a desision :approve:

thanks edde i will look into VAG conversions then. depends on what their is at the time of coming to a desision :approve:

Box and clutch will be the week point realy on a drag raced car. Stock engines drag raced can be pushing them a bit.

Then again depends what your happy to accept. I know one person who was amazed his heavily strengthened gearbox lasted just short 500 miles.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
deep pockets would be the first thing. i know of a skoda fabia vrs running 270 bhp but mounded with torque.
everythings been changed on it. the car has cost £22k or there abouts.

list of things needed to do the above ??
Easy was is to buy one all built and finished will be much cheaper if not buy a hevily tunned one and swap the bits for standard even if it menas buying a new engine etc and sell the car off as stock and the tunned bits didn't cost as much and you know they work or least did work.

260hp isn't that difficult you juts have to decide if NOS is part of the build and how reliable and n one smoky you want it

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I would prefferably want it to last a fare bit of abuse. Dont mind if its smokey as long as it do chuck it out like the american dodge cumming engines. So best idea is to buy a modifed one, buy another donner car to put it bk to standard and use he modifee bits to fit into my clio?. Also would i need the cluster wiring loom modifed and the uch modded to suit that engine ect. Basicly its a big ball ache to dois my guess.....

So best idea is to buy a modifed one, buy another donner car to put it bk to standard and use he modifee bits to fit into my clio?. Also would i need the cluster wiring loom modifed and the uch modded to suit that engine ect. Basicly its a big ball ache to dois my guess.....
If the price is right can be the best idea yep.

Asd for wiring depends how you do about it IMo forget the UCH and trying to like into the ecu from the new car eithe rremap the stock ecu if it can be (unlikly) or just swop all the wiring looms over or just run two seperate system one for light setc the other for the engine.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
If the price is right can be the best idea yep.

Asd for wiring depends how you do about it IMo forget the UCH and trying to like into the ecu from the new car eithe rremap the stock ecu if it can be (unlikly) or just swop all the wiring looms over or just run two seperate system one for light setc the other for the engine.

okay that makes sence thanks, engine ( proposed choice of modified veriant ) wiring loom from the other car, and run a seperate control unitl for lights and comfort accessories.

will a 1.5 dci 100 from a clio be able to withstand such power when uprated parts are installed? got a feeling the reno boxes are going to be chocolate with all the power/torquw running through it.

will a 1.5 dci 100 from a clio be able to withstand such power when uprated parts are installed? got a feeling the reno boxes are going to be chocolate with all the power/torquw running through it.
The engine survival depends on how its tunning big injecots sprayinf fuel badly on the walls etc and high EGT will kill it. How long and how strong it is is a bit of an unknown.

As for the gearbox its not as bad as people say in many ways it won't last if you try and kill it if your gentle etc should be ok for a decient jump in power 250lb should be ok with a nice clutch. If you want some idea look at the torque turbo 172's are running its the same box realy.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
The engine survival depends on how its tunning big injecots sprayinf fuel badly on the walls etc and high EGT will kill it. How long and how strong it is is a bit of an unknown.

As for the gearbox its not as bad as people say in many ways it won't last if you try and kill it if your gentle etc should be ok for a decient jump in power 250lb should be ok with a nice clutch. If you want some idea look at the torque turbo 172's are running its the same box realy.

only problem i will face with the dci engine is i cant seem to find after market bigger injectors. ( without going crazy on the cc size )

twin clutch or maybe hydrolic? overkill

only problem i will face with the dci engine is i cant seem to find after market bigger injectors. ( without going crazy on the cc size )

twin clutch or maybe hydrolic? overkill
There are few people who would tune the car that hard to need injectors to willing to spend to develope. The pump is another serious limit to power Its been proved to amke 137hp but that overridding the bypass on the 2000 bar pump limit which isn't recomeended bigger injectors would help make the same power at lower pressure so the pump could make some more fuel flow. The top limit would be about 160hp IMOfor the pump just like the in tank fuel pump.

Clutch isn't a huge issue realy turbo 172's have done the hard work for you in finding clutches to take the power.

If you want to go quick a very light remapped car would be impressive get the weight down to say 700kg with 110hp and that near as 172 power to weight. To get 160hp/ton would cost if you keep the weight in the car.