ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo 172 - Just had an idea

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

How about using the a/c unit to cool the charge?

it wouldnt take much adapting

BB tuning i hope you are considering this

Ok

Charge cooler uses the 172s air conditioning system to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit, resulting in an even denser air charge during peak acceleration.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

it would have a nitrous type effect 20-30bhp kick when used

(i think- im just tryin to figure it out)

FRST and 106 GTi

I guess you can turbo anything... every path to glory has a cost... turboing is not diferent.

Clio engine bay is to small. :( :(

this was talked about on scooby net months ago and it was decided that it wouldnt do much good at all do a search on their forum

there are some crazy ideas out there (no offence tom) i heard of an electric motor you can get that works as a supercharger, and also running with a compressed air tank in your car that fills when you are cruising and discharges when you boot it. interesting idea, but think about the weight.

BMW 320d Sport

The problem with using an aircon system to cool the charge is that it would have nowhere near the capacity to cool the volumes of air that are required in an engine. If you think of say a 172, a 2 litre engine, 2 litres of air flows through it every revolution of the crank (or is it 1 litre per rev? I cant remember!) Anyway even if it is only 1 litre per rev cos its a 4 stroke, when you need the power, booting it at say 4000 revs thats 4000 litres of air per minute its using! Or 66 litres per second. Thats some mental air con system that can genuinely cool air at that kind of flow rate...Of course you could use a huge aircon system, but the more power the aircon takes, the less youve got at the wheels.

CTR EK9 turbo

just run a pipe from your a/c vent inside the car, out of the window and into the air intake of your airbox - extra 50 bhp instantly! "setting 4" = ram air!!! ;)

Id never really thought about it like that before nick (my reckoning is that its half the engine capacity every rev) Thats a lot of air!

By my calcs, an f1 car at full revs would be pulling in nearly 500 litres of air a second!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ive check this out and it WILL work

but it would be like a nitrous system it couldnt work all the time

and it would take a few min to recharge

its not the same thing at all. yes the principle we are talking about will work but in practice it wouldnt work using the a/c system