ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo or Supercharger? Clio 182

PH1 loads of boost!
You havent ever been in a decent turbo car yet thats all mate, but TBH neither have most people!

Nearly all turbo cars do exactly what you are saying so I dont blame you for thinking it has to be that way, but it doesnt.

Mine on low boost for example:
IMAG0470_zpsef9e90d8.jpg

(and that was a very quick map where I just quickly popped by own car on the rollers between two other cars I was mapping that day, I literally only had about half an hour in total, it could be even smoother than that with a little more time)

Exactly right. That's why I think a 2860 is such a well suited turbo. On an F4r it's not too vicious when it comes onto boost, and if you want you can taim it further with the mapping, and pulls all the way to the redline.
The 225 turbo is very sudden when it comes on boost and is asleep by 6k rpm, which like Chip says is the way most cars are setup out of the factory. They feel fast and savage when they come on boost but when you rev them they tend to feel a bit limp.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can you not run a super charged clio on standard ecu?

I personally would strongly advise against it TBH, you will struggle to find someone who has a full enough definition file to do a genuinely good job of mapping it on the standard ecu, hence most of the ones dont melt if used hard.

Plus it really ties you down to who you get to map it for you in the first place.

Rough cost of doing a home brew turbo conversion compared to a super charger? purely out of interest and all that.

It really does depend what standard to and using secondhand parts or not and how much work you can do yourself, I know I could do a low pressure turbo for about 2K for example.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Exactly right. That's why I think a 2860 is such a well suited turbo. On an F4r it's not too vicious when it comes onto boost, and if you want you can taim it further with the mapping, and pulls all the way to the redline.
The 225 turbo is very sudden when it comes on boost and is asleep by 6k rpm, which like Chip says is the way most cars are setup out of the factory. They feel fast and savage when they come on boost but when you rev them they tend to feel a bit limp.

Exactly, its the nature of a turbo that if you want it to then it CAN make masses of midrange torque, to levels a centrifugal charger could only dream of, but it doesnt mean you HAVE to do so :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, would that be something you would offer as a service???

If you mean the mapping then as a paid service no I am too busy with car manufacturer software development work at the moment to mess around working for demanding members of the public who need things done on timescales I cant achieve (still got work I want to do on my car and not had time as my dayjob has to come first), but as a favour here and there when it suits me for local people for free then absolutely yes mate, especially if they are keen to learn how to map their own car rather than just have it done for them.

If you mean engine building, I only do that for myself and my close friends TBH mate, and less so than ever at the moment due to my other workloads, so basically that one is a no.

Seen as your moving closer to us weird folk :)
Have moved now mate, well kind of, im here and im surrounded by boxes I need to unpack when I stop doing 7 day and 80 hour weeks for work!

Inferno 225 cup
If you mean the mapping then as a paid service no I am too busy with car manufacturer software development work at the moment to mess around working for demanding members of the public who need things done on timescales I cant achieve (still got work I want to do on my car and not had time as my dayjob has to come first), but as a favour here and there when it suits me for local people for free then absolutely yes mate, especially if they are keen to learn how to map their own car rather than just have it done for them.

Have moved now mate, well kind of, im here and im surrounded by boxes I need to unpack when I stop doing 7 day and 80 hour weeks for work!

If its easy to learn how to map a car then mate I'm all ears and will take it all on board. :)
+ I need a trip out in the storm trooper ;)

Ah great stuff, sure us shire folk can help you out if need be mate :) just give me a shout If you need more hands.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its easy to learn how to map a car then mate I'm all ears and will take it all on board. :)
+ I need a trip out in the storm trooper ;)

TBH if its easy or not depends on your background, when I started mapping cars just over a decade ago I had already been tuning engines for a long time on carbs and dizzys etc so I had a really good understanding on what an engine wanted already, and then it was just a case of having software to allow me to give the engine that rather than changing jets in carbs or weights on dizzys etc, which as I have a software engineering degree any was used to programming control software anyway, meant that to me it was just the most natural thing in the world.
If you are a computer illiterate who doesnt know what knock is or what rich or lean mean etc though, it could be a steep learning curve by comparison to how it was for me!

Ah great stuff, sure us shire folk can help you out if need be mate :) just give me a shout If you need more hands.
Thanks mate, everyone up here seems really friendly so far :)

Inferno 225 cup
Il just have to watch then, I'm retarded in most ways engine wise, I can make a settee from scratch though if that's any help. Haha.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
His inbox for Andy at clioturbo.co.uk is full or you ignored his request on how to contact him and PM'd him on here ?

late 2003 172cup
I don't know about the other turbo guys but if I floor it mine can come in hard from just over 2250rpm- and pull hard to 7k.but I can make it go quick with less throttle , turbo comes in nicer and smoother. I have 300-400 torque option with my boost controller, a helical quaiffe diff, I have done 5k miles in my car since rebuild and it's still running spot on.
It's hard to ask what is better when the supercharged guys have spent as much as us turbo guys. We all had the choice back then. I think the best thing you can do is find two equal examples to drive if possible. I am sure a turbo car can be mapped progressive rather than aggressive. I have both, and I do love that kick up the ass get away, 2nd gear just jumps forward. I love the way mine goes.
Get some passenger rides in before you big spend. :)