ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo project!!!

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
still only 250bhp then??? i thought the boost was cranked and it was running 300+ ?
Its running 234 bhp losing boost dunno why that is but because i have a 172 engine and a 182 ecu think its causing running problems. Im thinking it might be the actuator arm set to long so its opening the valve abit at higher boost

Cant be something big because its getting boost. going to look at it after work tomorrow. Try and take it back to RStuning on thurs

A

ashy_gtt

Easy way to tell, just do a pressure test on the boost system.

block the inlet to the turbo compressor housing, I use a piece of silicon hose and a can of WD40. then remove any potential air leaks such as bleed valves etc. Then plug your compressor into one of the ports in the plenum and pressurise the boost system up to max 1bar. You will be able to hear where its leaking from. Then just go around and fix each leak, keep checking your boost gauge until the setting on your compressor are reading roughly the same, you may get some leakage past the rings so they may not be exaclty the same!

Thats one of the basics checks really suprised you haven't checked this before!

Easy way to tell, just do a pressure test on the boost system.

block the inlet to the turbo compressor housing, I use a piece of silicon hose and a can of WD40. then remove any potential air leaks such as bleed valves etc. Then plug your compressor into one of the ports in the plenum and pressurise the boost system up to max 1bar. You will be able to hear where its leaking from. Then just go around and fix each leak, keep checking your boost gauge until the setting on your compressor are reading roughly the same, you may get some leakage past the rings so they may not be exaclty the same!

Thats one of the basics checks really suprised you haven't checked this before!

Will try it tomorrow. Never had this problem before thats why i havent tryed it lol

ITB'd MK1
234?! :(

Fook

That's 'bodies, cams, stand-alone and £3k in the bank

Torque should still be good even with the power down, and that's what makes a car fast.

Does sound very much like a boost leak. nice easy test is get it running and spray some brake cleaner at all the joins, if it revs up when you do this you've found a leak.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
I had forge dump vaulve diaphram give on mine!
That made it loost boost at 0.6bar
Which dyno shown 250bhp 0.6bar.
Not sure of tourqe figure tho

A

ashy_gtt

Does sound very much like a boost leak. nice easy test is get it running and spray some brake cleaner at all the joins, if it revs up when you do this you've found a leak.

Yeah, nice quick test and OK if you don't have the right gear! I once had a 2" split in the bottom of an aluminium intercooler which only showed up during the presure test, I always swear by the pressure test method, if your boost system holds pressure then you know you've got no leaks end of.

ITB'd MK1
yeah, it's a quick 1st port of call test really, takes a couple of minutes rather than dismantling to do a pressure test. I've seen a few splits that only open under pressure too, so I know where you're coming from

When you listen under the engine bay you cant hear a boost leak. I'm thinking actuator or the pipe on the turbo. Checked the top inter-cooler pipes just need to check the 2 that go into to inter-cooler after work now see if i can see anything. I will do the spray test to see if anything comes up if not will have to do pressure test.

A

ashy_gtt

When you listen under the engine bay you cant hear a boost leak

You wont mate, unless its between the engine and the throttle body! If its the other side of the throttle body it wont his unless the boost sysyem is under positive pressure?

Sorted the boost dropping problem it was a pipe a tiny bit loose. Now im trying to fix the vacuum problem i just need another 182 vacuum pipe.