ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo/supercharge clio quick as?

182 Turbo
I dont think people would mind if you actually had some technical substance to what you are saying, rather than just repeating endlessly that an evo is better, without actually quantifying what you mean in detail.

Are you thinking that you are telling us something we dont already know if you point out its 4wd for example? As TBH other than that I cant think of any massive advantage it has when building a moderately quick trackday car over a turbo clio TBH.

I gave a technical reason why a 400bhp evo is quicker, maybe not better ill give you that but I explained how it would be quicker, however I disagree people won't "mind" because you often give technical clarification regardless a lot of people hate you. But I'm sure you're exactly like me mind, you don't really give a s**t if people like you on a forum.

SQ5
I gave a technical reason why a 400bhp evo is quicker, maybe not better ill give you that but I explained how it would be quicker, however I disagree people won't "mind" because you often give technical clarification regardless a lot of people hate you. But I'm sure you're exactly like me mind, you don't really give a s**t if people like you on a forum.

It's equal though not quicker.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS

I do actually agree though that if you just want to buy a car and then never work on it a turbo clio is a bad choice, invariably they require something which the Evo doesnt which is development, as there is no fixed answer of how a clio turbo should be built so each one will have good and bad points. But for those of us that ENJOY working on cars and developing them that is just part of the fun.
If that isnt something that interests you, then dont build one.

Want a reliable fairly quick trackday car for similar price, buy an E36 M3, but it will still cost a lot more to run than a hot hatch, even a turbo one.

182 Turbo
Power steering pump on mine is at the front, as per every other clio I have ever seen even the older williams one, I dont think it would be possible to get it further from the turbo unless I actually removed it and put it in the boot instead, so not sure what you mean about that?

Sorry, not your pump. Your power steering fluid bottle.

Oh, and you got your rocker cover breather filter that gets boiling hot and seeps oil, don't forget to prop that up somewhere, because it likes to burn holes into your silicone hosing.

and you got your coil pack that likes to fall off its mount because the engine mounts are so solid , and that likes to fall over the back and lean on the turbo, boiling hot metal against electrics is always fun.

Last edited:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
ANYWAY, even a turbo clio is still completely different car to an evo of any sort.

The evo is alot quicker than a standard clio so the fact that the turbo clio can keep with one is a good achievenent and i'd be happy with that!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry, not your pump. Your power steering fluid bottle.

Oh, and you got your rocker cover breather filter that gets boiling hot and seeps oil, don't forget to prop that up somewhere, because it likes to burn holes into your silicone hosing.

It had worn out rings, thats why it was breathing heavy, and it hence needed the rebuild im giving it now, just like an evo with worn rings would do ;)

Anyway its safe to say that they are such different cars that people are likely to chose if they want a heavy 4wd car that eats tyres or a lighter fwd car that hasnt got as much grip in loose conditions, the bottom lien though is that a clio like mine IS as quick as a 400bhp Evo, and thats all the OP wanted to get a gauge of, not the intricacies of servicing each one etc, so I just cant work out who you think your posts are actually useful to?

Lotus Elise
PS

I do actually agree though that if you just want to buy a car and then never work on it a turbo clio is a bad choice, invariably they require something which the Evo doesnt which is development, as there is no fixed answer of how a clio turbo should be built so each one will have good and bad points. But for those of us that ENJOY working on cars and developing them that is just part of the fun.
If that isnt something that interests you, then dont build one.

Want a reliable fairly quick trackday car for similar price, buy an E36 M3, but it will still cost a lot more to run than a hot hatch, even a turbo one.

Factor in the build and development cost of the clio you'd get a years worth of trackdays and consumables for the bimmer. Also the M3 will be much easier to sell when you get bored of it. Horses for courses but I certainly wouldn't mark the M3 as a more expensive option.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
and you got your coil pack that likes to fall off its mount because the engine mounts are so solid , and that likes to fall over the back and lean on the turbo, boiling hot metal against electrics is always fun.

It came loose once for me, so I fixed it on different with lock nuts, if you kept letting it rattle loose again and again and again without fixing the reason why then it just highlights why you personally should never have a modified car TBH mate, the things you are going on about are all just minor things that over time I sort out when I own a car like this, if you arent of that mindset though it isnt the sort of car for you, but that doesnt stop it being ideal for me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Factor in the build and development cost of the clio you'd get a years worth of trackdays and consumables for the bimmer. Also the M3 will be much easier to sell when you get bored of it. Horses for courses but I certainly wouldn't mark the M3 as a more expensive option.

I like to do 20 trackdays a year, I can get part worn 15" trackday tyres readily for the clio, that alone in the BMW would very quickly close the gap on cost you are talking about, and personally I tend to keep cars for several years anyway, and can always pull the clio apart and sell it in bits if no one wants to give good money for it whole.

Lotus Elise
I like to do 20 trackdays a year, I can get part worn 15" trackday tyres readily for the clio, that alone in the BMW would very quickly close the gap on cost you are talking about, and personally I tend to keep cars for several years anyway, and can always pull the clio apart and sell it in bits if no one wants to give good money for it whole.

You'd find part worn 17s for the bimmer just as easy for not a lot more monies. E46 M3 would be much more expensive prospect.

182 Turbo
It came loose once for me, so I fixed it on different with lock nuts, if you kept letting it rattle loose again and again and again without fixing the reason why then it just highlights why you personally should never have a modified car TBH mate, the things you are going on about are all just minor things that over time I sort out when I own a car like this, if you arent of that mindset though it isnt the sort of car for you, but that doesnt stop it being ideal for me.

Ill have to get myself a car that doesn't need locknuts to hold the coil pack down then, perhaps an evo.
and as you so say, obviously a turbo clio is only suitable for people with knowledge like you. Which gives even more reason why an evo is better, you don't need to be a guru to run one.

oh by the way, I used locknuts till they disappeared, you'll see that sooner rather than later too.

HBT 172 Cup
Cant say my coil pack has ever tried to work loose wtf?? Or that the breather wants to burn holes in my silocne hoses, perhaps dont install its so its touching? :coffee:

Ph1 T
I'm building one and I have no/very little car knowledge its all fun and games but come the 2nd ill find out if what I've done is any good and what it's producing :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ill have to get myself a car that doesn't need locknuts to hold the coil pack down then, perhaps an evo.
and as you so say, obviously a turbo clio is only suitable for people with knowledge like you. Which gives even more reason why an evo is better, you don't need to be a guru to run one.

oh by the way, I used locknuts till they disappeared, you'll see that sooner rather than later too.

Well I did it when I first got the car as I added some nimbus under the coilpack just in case and they were still tight when I took the engine out to rebuild it. But honestly all these things you are talking about are just nothing, just a few mins prep before a trackday to make sure it's all in order.

We clearly have very different mentalities, I carry things to ring and spa trackdays like spare hubs in case I need to swap one out if a wheel bearing fails and a spare starter etc, you sound like you would be all upset if it rained and you had to change tyres.

We clearly will never agree on if its acceptable to have to do very minor maintainance on a car or not as we are of such clearly different mind sets. If it gets me there then I enjoy the day and I make it home and don't have to do much to it then I'm happy, I couldn't care less if I need to occasionally replace a ten quid hose or tighten a bolt so long as I don't actually end up stranded somewhere.

Some of the lads from vauxsport I was camping with at the pod one year took their engine and box out in the camping field and changed the clutch as it was slipping and they still had a good weekend!

SQ5
I have my main tools and my impact gun with that in aswell as coil pack, CPS, CPS, fuses, relays, plugs, bulbs just in case.

Could Aydon just go and buy an Evo please, then join MLR.

182 Turbo
I have my main tools and my impact gun with that in aswell as coil pack, CPS, CPS, fuses, relays, plugs, bulbs just in case.

Could Aydon just go and buy an Evo please, then join MLR.

Why do you always do posts that are like answers to questions no one asked?
are you hurt that people have realised your previous comments were nonsense?

I am already a member on the evo forums thanks, you can buy me an evo if you like.
now let this thread die, like your brain. It's extremely boring now.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You've got to look at both sides of the fence IMO. There is no better or worse.

In the grand scheme of things, the Clio is a tinny, noisy, badly made French can and when it was my daily it used to break silly things constantly. That said, it is incredibly capable and with a sensible amount of boost, you are only accentuating the Clio's strengths without really adding further weakness.

In comparison, my M3 would destroy a standard 172, I'd guess (having not driven or come up against a turbo 172) be a fairly close drag with a turbo 172 but in most day to day situations and general life be a million times nicer place to be and probably quicker point to point due to the electric everything, chassis engineering etc.

That said, my M3 was 35k whereas a turbo Clio would be what 10k. Not everyone wants an Evo or M3 or the cost for that matter.
The satisfaction I'm sure comes from knowing you've taken an underdog and turned it into something the naive cant get their head around.

You have to appreciate both for what they are. Just because a well driven M3 would be on a par with a 360/430 in a straight line doesn't mean it's better.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Indeed its all about what an individual wants from their car.

Personally I enjoy doing the same pace round a circuit in a clio more than I do in an M3 or an Evo, as the smaller tinny not so refined ride actually makes it feel more exciting, and seeing as im doing trackdays not racing, its how much fun it is that matters not what laptimes I actually get.

Countryman JCW
Aydon were you a mod on the MLR by any chance? Had a picture of a yellow Evo 8 as your picture??

shame this thread went to s**t by some 1 rabbling on about s**te, you seem to love evo's so much so why don't you save some cash and sell your clio and buy 1. people do these things i.e turbo clio's for the enjoyment of building the whole project and making a hot hatch even quicker which seems to be something you can't grasp AYDON but i suppose thats the thing when you buy 1 thats already been done by someone else you never get the enjoyment of accomplishing what you set out to do

182 Turbo
shame this thread went to s**t by some 1 rabbling on about s**te, you seem to love evo's so much so why don't you save some cash and sell your clio and buy 1. people do these things i.e turbo clio's for the enjoyment of building the whole project and making a hot hatch even quicker which seems to be something you can't grasp AYDON but i suppose thats the thing when you buy 1 thats already been done by someone else you never get the enjoyment of accomplishing what you set out to do

Yeah I love Evo's so much, actually it all stemmed from OP mentioning the evo and someone which was adiment about his car being equal with the evo in question to which I disagree'd the evo wasn't a car I pulled out my ass which you seem to think, if I wanted to bring up a car that would be a lot faster of my own back I'd start mentioning super cars.

Obviously it's always going to cause an argument on a biased forum if I mention cars that are better that the car the forum is about, don't be hurt by it. And I know the satisfaction, I've built supercharged 205 gti's and helped a z20let build with a friend. Which I doubt you've actually done anything.

ive personally owned a clio turbo, so I actually give my full consent on building one, they are amazing. You seem to think I'm here slagging clio's off to the ground.
But whatever, people like you really don't read and understand. So I'm done here.

Last edited:
  Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Tbh you did continue to come out with a load of mindless garbage, attacking People with every comment you made.

No need.

HBT 172 Cup
That is one job I hope I never ever ever have to do lol

Yeah absolute t**t of a job, had to remove the turbo from the car. Going to weld up a bracket / link to brace the downpipe to the engine block to stop it flexing against the downpipe/trubo join (thanks sidewaysdanny for suggestion :))

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
+1 to laine, i have the turbo / engine out on the dimma atm need to replace all the studs aswell.
But i took the easy option and pulled the engine out, did new clutch gear box cambelt etc at the same time.
Got to drop it all back in soon.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
iirc the m3 was on a cool down lap?????

Only joking. Remind me to move out the way when me and dan do a trackday lol

Bloody hell! That thing shifts! As much as I love ITB's it's hard to compete with that kind of pace for similar ball park costs!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bloody hell! That thing shifts! As much as I love ITB's it's hard to compete with that kind of pace for similar ball park costs!

Typical figures IME:
Clio 172 : 150lbft & 170bhp
ITB and cams Clio 172 : 170lbft & 210bhp
My Clio turbo : 310lbft and 280bhp

ITB's gain you 20lbft and 40bhp, my turbo setup gains me 160lbft and 110bhp.

Its just not a contest.