ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TwentyValver Project Thread

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Could you PM me a price for the top mount aswell please mate, if its reasonable it might be worth asking him about one for my car :D

ValverInBits
done.

Manifold is heeeere :D :D :D
And I've been given an air compressor today :D
And i've got my head back.
And the sump can now go back on the engine after I got my bits from VW.
Lots to do !

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Were you at E38 today?

my brother and his mates said they were talking to a guy who is in the process of fitting a 20vt to a mk1 clio...

ValverInBits
barton's mates? met so many people this weekend it's difficult to keep track. Saw the golf, the owner was RUINED on Saturday night lol

'92 172, Lotus Elise
is barton the guy with the m3?

the golf with the black roof? rumour has it he polished off a whole bottle of rum flol :D

ValverInBits
yeah. That the guy that owned that MK4 certinally drank enough. Nope, bart and his dad just finished a really nice G60 rallye. Some nice engineering gone into it. The guy with the M3 was there too. Was a good weekend :D

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Ain't no Rallye! It's a G60 Edition 1 fool!

Get on with it, you're back at uni in a week :rasp:

Fiat Coupe
Hello Neck!

The N00B above me just gave me the link to this most excellent of build threads, very impressed, all looks wicked so far!

Have you sorted your clutch issues?

In the process of building up my mk2 project which was then abandoned, we had bought a vr6 clutch to use with the G60 flywheel as we had been assured by most that it would be strong enough for a 20V with ~280bhp and they are nice and cheap, under £80 from GSF if memory serves correctly

Keep it up mate, will keep an eye on this for progress!

ValverInBits
That's my plan too atm jez. Can't afford a proper paddle clutch atm so VR6 and G60 fly it is. Just struggling to find a G60 flywheel in this part of the country. It's ridiculous. They are all WAY tup north.

Update in a min

ValverInBits
Slight change of direction due to budget
I expected to have a little more cash to be finishing this project with :dapprove: It's got a bit silly now and i'm having to make cutbacks wherever I can. I won't be using the conrods I've got for this first build of the car. I literally can't afford to take the pistons out of the bores as then I'd need to replace the rings and re-hone. I plan to drop the compression later on anyway with some forged pistons as the AGU 20v compression is sadly very high at 9.5:1.
Also in the budget cut is clutch. I rang helix and they'd want £470 for a paddle clutch to do the job. Another company called CG motorsport do a cheaper one, but I still can't afford that really. So I'm going to run a VR6 clutch which are rumoured to handle the peak power of a K04 (audi TT turbo) ~280lbft/280bhp.
So the peak power the car can make is coming down, but I wouldn't say the new figures are going to be boring.

Driveshafts
GB engineering in nantwich are SLOW. I've now been promised free delivery on my custom shafts and he's said they will be with me by friday next week (18th)

Back to actual pictures and stuff.......

So, firstly, here's the gearbox, same colour as the engine. Nice and practical so I can see any oil spills. It's an 02J

Gearbox.jpg

Fitted the new oil pump (GSF) with pickup pipe (VW)

P1000964.jpg

P1000965.jpg

P1000966.jpg

And fitted with plastic sump baffle:

P1000969.jpg

My engine clearly came from a car that had a crash. There's evidence around the oil filter housing (now replaced) and on one of the OEM driveshafts. This is another place where it's had a knock. The crank alternator belt pulley. I looked into a VW replacement....but no....they are around £170:eek:

I just neatened it up delicately with a very thin grinding disk and sprayed a small amount of paint on. Took away the sharp edges and I think it can defo be used now.

P1000975.jpg

P1000976.jpg

I'm quite please that the donor car met it's death by crash really, it means that the engine was working when it was crashed.

Got the manifold back.

Mani1.jpg

Mani2.jpg

Built in 316 stainless by Jon Deeley.
[Plug]
Wolfy's Workshop NN13 5NU 07767743715
[/Plug]
The guy is ex pro-drive and made the exhausts and manifolds for the batmobile (tumbler or whatever) in the 2 new batman films :cool: :cool:

I'm really pleased with it. The engine flange was laser cut using a gasket, which makes them bigger than the actual ports on the head. So I have some porting to do, see further down.

Wanted to sort out the head with new valve stem seals and now also needed to port it so the valves had to come out.

Cams coming out
P1000924.jpg

Rocker cover had a clean
P1000921.jpg

P1000922.jpg

Tried a couple of borrowed valve spring compressors but neither worked properly on this head so made by own :approve:

P1000941.jpg

Had all the valves out in an hour (there are 20 ffs!)

P1000946.jpg

P1000948.jpg

Head went into the dishwasher :D

P1000932.jpg

Came up nicely

P1000958.jpg

This is my mum on the left catching me trying to sneak the head back out to the garage. She wasn't pleased :dapprove: lol

P1000954.jpg

Tonight I pretty much finished porting one cylinder (to match the new exhaust manifold). I'm no expert (i'm a beginner h'actually :)), I'm just using a die-grinder to gradually bring out the port smoothly.

P1000980.jpg

OEM size

P1000984.jpg

Ported

P1000985.jpg

That one is almost done i think.

Whilst i've been waiting for tools/part/etc, i've been strengthening the engine mounts.
VW bolted down these mounts in the OEM cars with 3 bolts, so I thought, for what it's worth I would too. I just used some bar to contruct a little setup on a plate and then weld it up.

Drivers side:
P1000901.jpg

The top is the tapped with an M10 thread and it bolts down like this:

drivers_done.jpg

Passengers was done in a similar way and welded down to the car. (primered).

Passengerdone.jpg

That should give the engine mounts extra support.

I think that's it. atm am porting the head out. Anyone know of a G60 Flywheel for sale let me know :D

Cheers,
Mark

ValverInBits
also, if anyone has any tips for head porting (even though i've already started) let me know. I think I'll leave the inlets if they match the manifold ok.

Also, massive thanks to ben who got me an air compressor for free last week! really pleased with it, even though it's small, it's free

BMW M5 & E36
Great work as ever mate. Manifold looks superb. Dishwasher scenario sounds all too familiar! Nice touch with the 3rd mount bolts.

Mainly a tow truck
I love looking at other people project threads, this looks great. Just gutted i will have to wait for more to come. (hoping it was complete)

Carl

ValverInBits
So bit of progress then,

Head porting was finished. Anyone doing this should note that it's much much easier if you keep the tungsten grinding bit oiled at all times. Then it doesen't clog.

finished.jpg

Matches the manifold well now.

Spent ages lapping in the valves with coarse and fine grinding paste and then using my home-made valve spring compressor to refit them with brand new (and expensive!) collets (cotter pins, whatever) and new valve stem seals.

P1010054.jpg

P1010055.jpg

Used pliers and a large jar of oil to gently try and pull as much oil as possible into the hydro-tappets before refit into original locations

P1010056.jpg

Refited cams, and cam chain tensioner and torqued down the cam bearing caps. Then removed the pulley off the cams and changed the cam oil seals.

P1010059.jpg

Then replaced the rocker cover. I originally thought that an RB rocker cover would be nice with the white car.....but I tried it with a rattle can of something close to RB and hated it :dead: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/Point8/TwentyValver/originalrockercolour.jpg

In the end went for primer, then laquer. Dub ;)

HeadDone.jpg

Yes, that's a genuine Bentley oil filler cap.
....cheers if your reading

Refitted the head to the engine using new headbolts. All torqued up properly. Manifold and throttle body also in primer+laquer.

EngineWhole.jpg

P1010073.jpg

Now I'm trying to source a G60 flywheel before it can go back in the car :( If you know of any for sale, please please please let me know. (golf MK2 or corrado.)

ValverInBits
Everyone loves a picture of a fat turbo. :cool:

WithTurbo1.jpg

WithTurbo2.jpg

Also spent a little bit of the afternoon making a custom turbo actuator bracket using 2 bits of 3mm plate.

It's been sprayed and the paint is drying, here it is before spraying. Before you ask, the original actuator bracket above won't work with the compressor housing at that angle.

actuator_bracket.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Audi TT 225 Quattro
looking good mate:D gotta say it looks like you will have massive problems getting the bonnet to shut with the turbo that way up, looks like it sticks up loads:eek: have you trial fitted it yet or even measured?

ValverInBits
The boy aint daft!

ta :approve:

She should be reet. :D It sit's lower than the standard F7P. Rain catcher has to go though.

as for the inlet manifold, as said it's so much easier to route boost piping if it picks up on that side. The AGU 20v engine code is the only one that picks up from the left afaik, so that was lucky.

Williams20V-306BHP
The boy aint daft!

Course he is... look at the size of the turbo!!! Its gonna be Bonkers!!

You’ll have to put a good heat shield between the turbo and the coilpacks, your turbo must almost be touching the bulkhead.

Turbo pipe work won’t be that bad... but you may have to trim the headlight cover. ;)