ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twin cone filter - cleaning/servicing method?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
bought this air filter off this guy a week or so ago and it's one of these universal twin cone jobbies, but it's a bit rusty.
I'm going to use it tomorrow as part of the relocated IK setup in front of the battery but it's a bit rusty in places.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...gine-Cover-amp-Xenon-HID-kit&highlight=azrael

Can I just soak it overnight in white vinegar to clean it up?

And do I need to re oil it before I put it in? I have a K&N recharging kit from ages ago with the oils but this filter doesn't seem to use cotton/paper?

Probably will end up replacing it with a decent cotton cone but for now can anyone advise?

Thanks.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cleaned it up and sprayed it with pipercross spray stuff. will this be ok? These filters just use mesh so don't know what use the spray will have been.

Mk3 clio 1.5
you can use something like petrol or turps. should clean it up well, and leave it to dry over nite. Re oil a filter?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Soaked it in a load of vinegar I got from spar! Sorted!

Yeah you're sposed to re oil aftermarket filters aren't you? Altho think it might only be for foam/cotton ones, this one looks like just mesh which is a bit gash.

Mk3 clio 1.5
Soaked it in a load of vinegar I got from spar! Sorted!

Yeah you're sposed to re oil aftermarket filters aren't you? Altho think it might only be for foam/cotton ones, this one looks like just mesh which is a bit gash.

cant say ive ever heard of oiling a filter, why would you want oil going through your air intake? :S

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Indeed. Could smell it a bit for first few miles but give now. Only sprayed a light mist over the mesh outside.

Think the sound is a bit ott tho, would a different type of filter make it a bit quieter or no difference unless the setup is more enclosed?

Mk3 clio 1.5
most open cone filters will sound the same. If your looking for something quieter try going to a piperX enclosed filter or a BMC/CDA and using a cold air feed pipe. Performance differnce you wont notice unless your car is mapped.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah I'm not arsed about performance diff from an air filter. Just like the look of it in the engine bay. I have an ra tuner 'map'. Not so keen on the enclosed filters cos they just look like halfords 'super race sport' standard air boxes. I think the sound if the standard airbox with disconnected caf pipes sounds better. Ah well will see how long I can cope with it. Is fudging loud tho@!!!! Good on motorway but you look a right bellend round town with it

Mk3 clio 1.5
the BMC ones look quite tidy imo. why not just get a cheap single cone filter in the mean time, there only about a tenner for a universal one, wont be much differnce between that and a K+N cone filter.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
That's what I'm using. Came with the silicone bend but needed cleaning up. Prefer those ramair foam jobbies, got a pipercross one but the neck is too small for the elbow pipe