ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo engine in a mk2 1.2?

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
anyone ever tried or thought of fitting a twingo engine into there mk2 dynamique?

Thinking as the engine + parts are pretty cheap and the mechanic work on my end will be free but wondering if its worth it?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Why go to the effort with the K4M for 110-130hp when the F4R is cheaper, far more available and gives 166-175hp

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
depends what twingo engine your talking about? 1.6 as mick says id rather go 2.0

but if your talking about the 1.2 turbo then its not been done as far as I know but should be easy

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Why go to the effort with the K4M for 110-130hp when the F4R is cheaper, far more available and gives 166-175hp
F4R just seems like it would be heavier lump up front and I dont want to completely convert my car into a 172 or 182 I thought the twingos engines would be lighter and providing much more power than my 75bhp would be good enough. Would I have to get new brakes, suspension etc? I would fit the discs in the rear if it helps.

@Martin_172 The 1.2 seems cheaper but most likely the 1.6 if its been done before

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
1.6 is a boring engine imo, id go 1.2 TCE so your still under a tonne with full interior etc and easily get more power than the 1.6 cheaply!
I heard a 1.2 TCE caps at 130bhp which is fine but wouldnt you have to rev the tits off of it to keep the power up? The 1.6 would not needs as much thrashing but thats the only factor thats keeping me from the TCE. What mods would have to be done? How much would you say this project costs?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
your the opposite way around mate, the turbo charged 1.2 when modified has the same or more torque than a 2.0 petrol and it all comes from 2000rpm so really you just keep it around 2000-5000rpm and it will make easy progress, where the 1.6 is a revvy little engine like the 2.0 but with less torque and power!

the TCE with the correct mods 145bhp is pretty easy, after that you need to look at turbos which then means its upto you what sort of power you want to go for, rods and pistons and you could get close to 200bhp.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
your the opposite way around mate, the turbo charged 1.2 when modified has the same or more torque than a 2.0 petrol and it all comes from 2000rpm so really you just keep it around 2000-5000rpm and it will make easy progress, where the 1.6 is a revvy little engine like the 2.0 but with less torque and power!

the TCE with the correct mods 145bhp is pretty easy, after that you need to look at turbos which then means its upto you what sort of power you want to go for, rods and pistons and you could get close to 200bhp.

ahah thanks! dont want more than 140bhp most likely as I want to keep my dynamique but it could do with the extra grunt. What to economy be like I get 38mpg combined atm. So what would I need to buy as far as parts engine, gear box, ecu etc... also would the trip computer still work in mine?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hutchy put a twingo k4m on fireblade throttle bodies in his 1.2.

But that was only because his works insurance would insure him up to 1600cc.

For the effort involved, just whack a f4r in it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ahah thanks! dont want more than 140bhp most likely as I want to keep my dynamique but it could do with the extra grunt. What to economy be like I get 38mpg combined atm. So what would I need to buy as far as parts engine, gear box, ecu etc... also would the trip computer still work in mine?
economy would be much the same my old 140bhp one would do 25mpg when driving it hard and low 45mpg just taking it easy.

to convert one I think it would be easier to buy a smashed twingo GT and convert the lot straight over including dash! or at least that's what id do as electrics are not my strong point!

selling yours and buying a twingo is a much easier option though lol! and you get a newer car, Bluetooth etc

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
economy would be much the same my old 140bhp one would do 25mpg when driving it hard and low 45mpg just taking it easy.

to convert one I think it would be easier to buy a smashed twingo GT and convert the lot straight over including dash! or at least that's what id do as electrics are not my strong point!

selling yours and buying a twingo is a much easier option though lol! and you get a newer car, Bluetooth etc

All my electronics are sorted in mine I have bluetooth upgraded speakers etc... Sound deadened the whole car got xenons 172 wheels had the car repsprayed. Just dont want to see it go and insurance for me is stupid high £3000 it drops to £900 this year but I can get anything else because it shoots back up! I'll see I just want a nice project and a faster car lol!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you could look down the route of getting 1.2 TCE inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, boost pipework, 172 injectors and having someone map your ECU if its possible to map them.

obviously theres a bit more fabrication involved in that but its a route you could go down

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I
you could look down the route of getting 1.2 TCE inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, boost pipework, 172 injectors and having someone map your ECU if its possible to map them.

obviously theres a bit more fabrication involved in that but its a route you could go down
is that all the 1.2 TCE is? a turbo'd version of mine? If so would I be able to make 130bhp?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your pre 2004 engine with grey engine cover then its slightly different, if your post 2004 engine with the black engine cover that's part of the airbox then yes the TCE is just a turbo charged version of this engine

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
if your pre 2004 engine with grey engine cover then its slightly different, if your post 2004 engine with the black engine cover that's part of the airbox then yes the TCE is just a turbo charged version of this engine
I have a 2003 :( Ill take a look at the swap just to be clear does it directly bolt in?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
different gearboxes but you could either use the twingo box or use your own box with minimum modifying.

you would need a downpipe made up custom to fit your exhaust

Mk3 clio 1.5
i've been considering this for quite some time, although mine been a 8v, would have to convert to 16v. You can buy the twingo engines with about 40k for £400-600 w/o turbo. They are only small so cheap to pick up. You would be looking under £800 conversion. Although alot of people will outline that a F4R option would ideally be better. But what they dont take into consideration, that road tax remains at £71.50, including mods to insurance would be far less than owning a 1*2 and economy on twingo is 50mpg! more pro's than cons to me. Well worth a go

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i've been considering this for quite some time, although mine been a 8v, would have to convert to 16v. You can buy the twingo engines with about 40k for £400-600 w/o turbo. They are only small so cheap to pick up. You would be looking under £800 conversion. Although alot of people will outline that a F4R option would ideally be better. But what they dont take into consideration, that road tax remains at £71.50, including mods to insurance would be far less than owning a 1*2 and economy on twingo is 50mpg! more pro's than cons to me. Well worth a go

totally different engines too, tuned D4FT's go so bloddy well! they are the same if not worse on fuel than F4R's though when your pushing on!

Mk3 clio 1.5
Yeah best way is to dp a full swap, although finding a custom fit manifold for turbo might be where costs come in, but the mk2 ph1 is surely lighter than the twingo, so wouldnt mpg be increased? (excluding hammering it)