ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upper Steering Rack Bush Bolt - Torque Settings

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Quick question please.

I've scoured the forum and also been into my Renault dealership to ask about the torque settings for the upper bolt which comes as part of the Steering Rack Bush kit. Number 4 in illustration and marked as a red arrow on the picture.

It's the small M8 35mm bolt which goes through the top bracket, not the larger M10 bolts, 6 and 2 in illustration, which go through the subframe and secure the brackets.

Torque settings on this forum suggest 50Nm but again that's for the M10 bolts. The small bolt isn't a 10.9 profile like the M10 bolts and is only 8.8. It won't take 50Nm, i know because i've snapped 2 trying haha.

So does anybody know the settings?

There's nothing listed in the manual, on the Renault systems and i wasn't able to pull a techie away from his workload to ask.

My gut feeling is just to tightem up as much as possible by hand. Any experienced techies in here that could help?
parts-cat.jpg
renault-7701470760.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
M8 of that spec would be around 25-30Nm usually.
Thanks James.

I used the torque calculator so suspected that was the case. The problem was slightly exasperated as the previous owner looks like he's used bolts from Halfords hence them snapping with very little torque. I've since got some 10.9 M8's now so they'll probably handle more Torque anyway. Just felt 50Nm was a touch excessive.

I might add it to the Torque settings thread for future reference.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks James.

I used the torque calculator so suspected that was the case. The problem was slightly exasperated as the previous owner looks like he's used bolts from Halfords hence them snapping with very little torque. I've since got some 10.9 M8's now so they'll probably handle more Torque anyway. Just felt 50Nm was a touch excessive.

I might add it to the Torque settings thread for future reference.

Yeah 50Nm on an M8 is asking for trouble 😅