ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UTTER HERO!!! <10 min 'ring Lap, in an Ax Diesel

Wasn't a diesel but my friend had an AX after he wrote off his car and needed cheap motoring - we had such a laugh with that little car.
We got a (full size) digital piano, 2 mountain bikes and us in that thing. Still not sure how we managed that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Quality!

Don't get why you'd say that?

Because its one thing driving that hard in a slow car, but drive with the same commitment in a fast car and you are far more likely to get into trouble, there are huge sections that he is doing with his foot fully welded to the floor which is fine when your car is slow but no good when you are in something quick.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
I learned to drive in a Citreon AX diesel, it was the 1.5 with a barmy 58bhp (according to Parkers). Amazingly slow which makes it even more amazing this guy lapped the Ring in under 10 minutes!

172 rag
My ax gt F reg was around 710 kg.
On standard trim, for pure mind engaging driving pleasure on the doorsep of disaster it was simply the best.
85 ponnies, a solex, skinny tires on 14 inch and 0 delay in your commands.
Happy days
My 309 gti afterwards was shockingly boring compared to that.

The guy is a hero no doubt...

172 rag
Because its one thing driving that hard in a slow car, but drive with the same commitment in a fast car and you are far more likely to get into trouble, there are huge sections that he is doing with his foot fully welded to the floor which is fine when your car is slow but no good when you are in something quick.
Correct but the counter argument is that if something goes wrong on a slow car its a one way ticket while on a fast car you have the grunt to save it.
If you learn to be that fast on a slow car usually you can cope with the extra power and be proportionally fast..

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
That's a great video! All respect to the lad for his commitment. I'm with chip with this though. Commitment is one thing but skill is an entirely different thing. Not saying that lad isn't talented behind a wheel at all but it is MUCH more difficult pedalling something around the 'ring in the same way with more performance. Controlling the throttle and brakes through the corners, over the crests and in off camber bends are what makes the 'ring a huge challenge in anything rear wheel drive.
That aside, I salut him and it definatly shows you don't need many ponies or much cash to have an epic time on track.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Anyone else see the 350z that past him stuck at the side of the road about 9 min 30 seconds in

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If he had something a lot more powerful (or even only slightly more) there were many many times he'd have had to brake, down-shift, and set the car up for a corner entry...something a lot of the time he simply did not need to bother with in the AX. Then there would be balancing the car through the turn and releasing it as you power out.

As I said earlier, apart from the run downhill at the beginning that got very very busy at times, he didn't have to do a great deal as every where was simply flat out.