ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

v6 or ThrottleB's (172)+ next '2nd' car - PROBLEMS!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
decision problem for me here.

been offered a lucrative position with another firm in my profession which will involve a 80 mile daily commute to work + whatever that throws up in terms of sites/ meetings/ commitments. Therefore looking into diesel power for a '2nd' car. With that in mind im thinking Cupra Tdi 160 + remap (only £345 - RS tuning are the business :D ).

However, this would be brand new purchase (why - well £13,7 gets me a full spec ibiza or i can pay £9k for an 04 with 35k or so on the clock - whats the point in that - no warranty etc - hence the new purchase - which is also the '2007' facelift model.)

BUT - i was planning on some throttle bodies for the 172 to coincide with my 25th bday (insurance cheaper etc) - this would be circa £3-4k dependant on exactly what was wanted etc - to be honest not fully looked into that, but always loved the whole TB thing, and the 'trumpets' :approve:

a further but is, the v6 has always been a very interesting choice, rare as anything up here in jockville - would be great to be a vee owner.

So the dilemma is this - buy a 2nd car (shitty diesel vectra for about £7k ) then when at 25 just plump for a 2nd hand vee, or

buy ibiza and continue with plans for the throttle bodies?

I cant really do the ibiza and v6 as it would mean £18-19k for the vee and £14k for the ibiza, with the 172 as a 'trade in' at some point.

hard decision.

Have to decide for the plate change (lead in time on ibiza is 10 weeks as well) and i need to decide if i commit to the ibiza thats really the end of the v6 plans, hence why bring it up now.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Dyson
TB the 172 and buy the 160 seat. I've got a 175bhp Tdi Saab and the torque is amazing!! it pull past most on the m,way!

You've gotta love diesel power!!!!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
hard choice .... do u have a garage ? if not i would say throttle bodys n a cupra :)

if uv got a garage at the new gaff then get a Vee ... aslong as it fits of course.

Buy my 306 turbo diesel in the for sale thread...cheap, economical and reliable... just get's you from a-b for work.

And get bodies and a v6 lol. Or allows you to spend more on one!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Buy my 306 turbo diesel in the for sale thread...cheap, economical and reliable... just get's you from a-b for work.

And get bodies and a v6 lol. Or allows you to spend more on one!

saw it mate, cant allow myself a red car, otherwise id have been interested!

J

J182sport

get a nice golf TD! and get a V6 its somthing you can look after drive on the weekend and show off!..some wicked fun for the weekend!

or buy my scoob! 310bhp for the weekend!:clown: and will still have 4 seats! cheap at 13500..

Clio 172 mk2
get a v6 six they are rare and everyone will look at it as u drive by

not to mention the noise that comes off them which is awesome

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
I bought myself a 172 Mk1 end 1999. I sold it 2 years later (130.000km) for a Leon 150hp TDI (tuned upto 198hp). 2 years later I sold it (120.000km) and now I had to decide, a 182 or an Ibiza 160 hp TDI. I testdrove the Ibiza for 3 days with lots of exectations. At the end I bought the Clio.
Why? Difficult to control power (lots of wheelspinning) and it's more thirsty than the Clio. I had an average of 12l/100km, the 182 has 10l/100km.
Also an important point is that I didn't feel safe in the Ibiza

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
^ but hes buying the ibiza aswell as the clio ... or if he gets the v6 something else instead of the ibiza.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
My tupence...

TBs on a Clio sounds nice....but remember you are basically throwing away your money. It won't add much if anything to the resale price. A V6 on the other hand will retain some of it's value. So you would have to REALLY want to TB the clio.

Why do you want a performance oriented diesel as a second car? Isn't that what the V6 is for? I was considering buying a 2nd hand HDI 406. My mum has a petrol 406, it's roomy, very comfortable and very quiet. You can pick up good examples for under £2000 because the depreciation is shocking. I'm also very tempted to run it on vegtable oil bringing the running costs down to almost nothing. This would leave me with stacks of cash for trackdays and car upgrades!

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
V6 retains some of his value? Not in Belgium. If you wan't to sell it here, you will lose lots and lots of money

clio 200 F4Rt
172 on t/bs will be quicker than a v6, so go with that.

as for resale value, any mod wont gain you value. you should never think it will. tune/mod because u want to, not because you think it will add value to the car.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
172 on t/bs will be quicker than a v6, so go with that.

as for resale value, any mod wont gain you value. you should never think it will. tune/mod because u want to, not because you think it will add value to the car.

agree wi that wont add alot of value and it could beb viewed as £3-4k down the pan.always a bit of an issue

Lionel Richie
hey copying is the greatest form of flattery

i mean look at my history, i was the first to get FK coilovers, now everyone has them

i was the first to paint my wheels ridiculous colours, people have followed

etc etc

;)

LY 182
^^ Yeh if you like it in the ass!

Anyway if you can afford the v6 and want it then go for it!

Iceberg 172
I wouldnt bother spending the extra money on a performance diesel. If you're driving at rush hour there's no need for the extra power so you may as well save the money and get something thats comfortable and with good mpg. Although i'm sure the tb's are tempting I would get a v6. You can always sell for a similar price after a few months if you dont rate it whereas you will definately lose money on the tb's. Then you have the opportunity to tune it further at a later date should you be so inclined ;)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
I wouldnt bother spending the extra money on a performance diesel. If you're driving at rush hour there's no need for the extra power so you may as well save the money and get something thats comfortable and with good mpg. Although i'm sure the tb's are tempting I would get a v6. You can always sell for a similar price after a few months if you dont rate it whereas you will definately lose money on the tb's. Then you have the opportunity to tune it further at a later date should you be so inclined ;)

spose, might look at golf etc, but most at 7-8k are overpriced, out of warranty, with 60k on the clock, so why risk it just to save £100 a month on payments.

All diesel will be getting paid for, so mpg isnt a huge issue, just no petrols allowed :( or it would have been a meggy R26