ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valve stem oil seals: Life shouldn't be this complicated

2005 Clio 1.2 16v
Hello all,

I'm having more than a wee bit of trouble trying to replace my valve stem oil seals. The car in question is a 2005 1.2 16v. I believe the engine is a D4F, but I honestly can't seem to determine whether it's a 712, 714, etc. Anyway, in reconditioning the cylinder head, I've removed the valve stem oil seals. They're the originals, and the markings on them read as follows: CFW C37 VA03 5.5-17. The seals are the fixed-position type, and they're very, very small. The head gasket set I ordered from the UK contains the top hat-type seals, and they're clearly too large for the recesses into which they need to be installed. Not only that, the valve springs won't even fit around them. Oddly, everything else in the kit looks right for the engine in question.

Based on the information I've supplied here, would anyone be able to come up with a specific manufacturer's part number for the correct seals? Endless searching online has only led to frustration for me, since there are simply too many model and year variations to confuse parts queries, and most of the time (at least in the case of Elring and Corteco) the items are not even pictured.

Picture 1: Original seal on the right, new seal on the left

http://sdrv.ms/15QEsY2

Picture 2: New seal installed on valve stem. Makes a nice seal, but doesn't seat into the cylinder head and valve spring can't clear it.

http://sdrv.ms/1bVoCSb

2005 Clio 1.2 16v
google victor reinz

OK, thanks for that. I have actually stumbled upon Victor Reinz parts information along my tedious search. Like Elring and Corteco, Reinz doesn't show pictures of the parts in question, and points the reader back to engine codes. As I stated in my original post, I don't know if I've got a D4F 712, 714, etc. Every time I've tried to sort out the engine information, as far as I get is a post on this site breaking down the MK1 and MK2 Clios by engine code and oval plate number (D4F CB05). Apparently, to find the correct Reinz parts, I need to first know the engine code (D4F 712/714/706/722/728) as well as the engine no. (030820, 030821). Any other helpful ideas?

Lionel Richie
pm Renault Wolverhampton, but he won't respond until monday now, D4F's to my knowledge are all the same internally, we've fitted a 728 when the original was a 712 etc

2005 Clio 1.2 16v
D4F's to my knowledge are all the same internally, we've fitted a 728 when the original was a 712 etc
Mine is a 722, and it is definitely not the same internally as other D4Fs. I eventually sorted this on my own after lots of dead ends. The correct valve stem seals are Elring 522.940. The rocker cover gasket is also different than what usually comes in a head gasket set for a D4F, and the one needed is the Elring 522.950. To make the whole head rebuilding process simpler and avoid all the frustration with improper parts, I would suggest just ordering Elring's head gasket set, which is 505.050, or Renault 77 01 475 822.