ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viper making my Clio 182 Slower?

RenaultSport Clio 182 CUP
Hiya all

Fitted a Pipercross Viper on my Clio 182 and with out the Cold Air feed pipe fitted, feeled the same speed wise, but sounded better. However, when I conected the cold air feed, it is noticlby slower. I have the air feed and bell mouth installed in the bottom grill and there is no obstructions blocking the pipe, so am a bit baffled. Thought it might be because iv used a longer section (1 1/2 Meters) of pipe so perhaps, harder for the air to travel up. Just wondered if any one else had encountered the same problem?

Cheers

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Heard a few people say you need a remap to see the benefit of the Viper,different fueling mixtures etc etc.
I'm sure Ali will be along soon...lol.
John

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Without a remap you will lose a couple of brake. Remap will bring you back to about where you were before! lol

Can we make this a sticky ;)

Vipers are only for noise!

Ali

Cheers guys, was thinking of getting my 182 remaped at the FCS, just got to find £275 notes first lol Might actualy take the cold air feed off as well and just have it aiming at the Viper instead

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I think Mark M proved this to be the best approach. the bell mouth aiming at the viper, but not actually connected.

How can the viper make it slower though, I thought the more air you get, the better combustion will be?

Focus ST
chrisn01 said:
How can the viper make it slower though, I thought the more air you get, the better combustion will be?

You can have too much of a good thing.....

There needs to be the correct mix/ratios. Probably running too lean now.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No. It's not forsed induction, a supply of cold air is more than sufficient. the car can't deal with the increased amount of air.

Air to fuel mix is very important and the std Map cannot adapt to the increase in air. Hence a decrease in power.

I lost 2bhp and 5ft/lb torque. and i Knew that before i even put it on the rollers.

Racing Blue 182
i thought this with mine. Can imagine an insurance company wouldnt believe that it decreases power.

I just have my cold air feed aiming at the viper as it sounds nice lol

Mine seems to of lost the 5k kick though :-(

Vectra :(
Spoke to hillpower today and asked about a viper and the answer was a no basically. I am sure he wont mind me saying but the jist of it was all the viper is, is an enclosed filter, the surface area of the filter is actually less than that of a panel filter. The bigger the surface area of the filter the more air can come through. He mentioned something about the size of the viper is something he would use on a 1.4 not a 2.0litre engine.

Basically you already have a viper on your car as standard (filter element in a black box). Be better getting a performance panel filter and uprating the air feeds to it. Thats what i have done. Was thinking about a viper but after chatting to hillpower i wont be getting one.

Hope this helps

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
they are pish, took mine off and found grit in the air intake!!!! i now have the standard airbox with a nice big airfeed picked up out of the passenger wheel arch, with an itg panel filter

job done :)

Bye Bye 182....
same here. Got a brand new pipercross panel filter from ebay for a massive £3!!! He spelt the title piperx pan filter and no one cottoned on luckily.

ant

yep.
blah blah blah.

before viper - car was quick.
with viper - car is just as quick and sounds better.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
vipers are crap end off. spend your money on some proper engine mods instead. panel filter is more than sufficient and a fraction of the cost.

VRS
gt_gaz said:
they are pish, took mine off and found grit in the air intake!!!! i now have the standard airbox with a nice big airfeed picked up out of the passenger wheel arch, with an itg panel filter

job done :)

would a standard airbox with an improved airfeed benefit from the removal of the acoustic valve?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^ thats what i did, i just used the air feed pipe off my viper, removed the valve and reno airfeeds, and secured the new cold airfeed pipe in the passenger arch lining

Just removed the cold air feed and had it aiming towards the viper instead and noticed the power has come back hey hey. I would disagree with the viper have too little surface area as the standard filter on the 182 is tiny in comparison with some other cars. Most people have said that my car is getting to much air with the Viper and messing up the air to fuel ratio on the ecu. I would agree with this as I have noticed increased fuel consumption with the viper meaning that more fuel is being used to compensate I would assume :0)

Megane Trophy
I would have thought the clio has a Intelligent ECU that increases the fuel to match the increase in air flow??

Aiming the cold air feed at the filter is by far the best option

i lke my viper ......................:evil: even if it is slower , cant tell really but i think its better and sounds the bizz :approve:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i've had the experience so i know, fair enough, not saying your wrong etc, but with you saying 'even if it is slower' you like it, it just seemed to imply that even if it made the car slower you liked it just for the noise? I thought that was odd thats all, i'd never knowingly make my car slower just for abit of noise, or with adding bigger wheels because they look better etc

gt_gaz said:
i've had the experience so i know, fair enough, not saying your wrong etc, but with you saying 'even if it is slower' you like it, it just seemed to imply that even if it made the car slower you liked it just for the noise? I thought that was odd thats all, i'd never knowingly make my car slower just for abit of noise, or with adding bigger wheels because they look better etc

i believe its all psychological ........as its louder , u believe its faster when really its made no difference at all ....or has it ??????????????:rolleyes:

182 Trophy No. 223
sounds good, powere increase i believe it debatable either way, from what speed ure already driving at, to the actual air temperature too! Cold mornings it roars more tho! I have to say, it's not over loud.... in teh lower revs maybe,but less noticable from about 3.5k

ant

yep.
"if" and its a big "if" as far as i'm concerned, i've lost 2bhp [as ali states], then i'm sure the fact that my superlegs are miles lighter than the standard 172 alloys more than makes up for it ;)

plus i cant believe you can notice 2bhp?

ant said:
"if" and its a big "if" as far as i'm concerned, i've lost 2bhp [as ali states], then i'm sure the fact that my superlegs are miles lighter than the standard 172 alloys more than makes up for it ;)

plus i cant believe you can notice 2bhp?

and i thought it gains bhp but looses torque ...........wots goin on .
:S

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
but! if you had a panel filter and gained 2 bhp, it would be 2bhp quicker, so therefore quicker still lol :)

172 Flamer
The cold air feed needs to have as little bend / direction changing in it as possible otherwise air cannot efficiently whoosh its way into filter. Either remove it all together or disconnect & leave at the mouth of the viper.

If your feeling daring relocate battery to boot, find some 100mm tubing & move viper right to front of grill behind right headlight!!! Haven't done it myself yet but have been told that there is a noticable difference to be had!

As for the big wheels comment to sacrifice half a second on acceleration, depends what you are after, head turning or being a bonnet length in front of the next man. What if you put a subwoofer & amp in the boot?! That's an extra 10kg weight in car - can't have that can we!!!!

ant

yep.
gt_gaz said:
but! if you had a panel filter and gained 2 bhp, it would be 2bhp quicker, so therefore quicker still lol :)

the day i'm arsed about 2bhp will be a sad day indeed!

my car sounds better, is lighter and handles better than standard - that does me fine :cool:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
BigBarry172 said:
As for the big wheels comment to sacrifice half a second on acceleration, depends what you are after, head turning or being a bonnet length in front of the next man. What if you put a subwoofer & amp in the boot?! That's an extra 10kg weight in car - can't have that can we!!!!

nope, i wouldn't bother :rasp:

this is gettin quite funny .ppl wid viper will admit they r worth the money :approve: END OF .

PPL WILL ARGUE :S