ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Want a 197?

Turbo LY R27
yeh but its cheaper to buy a 182 with the mods ive got and have a better car imo! like i said build quality im not to fussed about its still an ok standard in the 182, i think 197 owners are using the build quality as an excuse as i neva hurd any complaints before???

Shut up you c**k! I had a 182, and i got a r27 now! much better car hav you ever driven one? Well i think your using that your car is 4 mph faster as an excuse!nice one mate! The car is not slow its the same, mine feels much more tourqey and the gear box makes it much easier to keep it on cam. Ill take you on any day mate!:butt: :butt: People like you really f**k me off when they moan for no reason! Leave it for the play ground:rolleyes:

yeh but its cheaper to buy a 182 with the mods ive got and have a better car imo! like i said build quality im not to fussed about its still an ok standard in the 182, i think 197 owners are using the build quality as an excuse as i neva hurd any complaints before???

PMSL at this thread, you could have spent £3k on a ph1 172 and got a better car than your £8k+ 182.

M2 Competition
Spend a grand on a 205 gti, spend 10 grand modding it at des developments, and you've got an 11 grand 'anything' slayer...

evo VI GSR

Shut up you c**k! I had a 182, and i got a r27 now! much better car hav you ever driven one? Well i think your using that your car is 4 mph faster as an excuse!nice one mate! The car is not slow its the same, mine feels much more tourqey and the gear box makes it much easier to keep it on cam. Ill take you on any day mate!:butt: :butt: People like you really f**k me off when they moan for no reason! Leave it for the play ground:rolleyes:

oh dear! cant see anywhere in my thread where im moaning? and yes ill be in milton keynes all day tomorrow so if you have a private track we could have a spin? i hate to point it out but the 182 has more torque than 197 so dont know how it can feel more tourquey as u spell it? if you have nothing constructive to say and just want to call me a c**k i suggest you do it outside the forum

Rally bus
or did you mean "talk" as in the amount of bull the respective drivers of each model spout? I'd concede that the 182 would indeed win in this instance.

www.renparts.co.uk

you have 'Neva Hurd' and complaints about the build quality of a 182. Don't read the forum much then i guess. As said your car is modified and probably got a lot more miles on. Your test is flawed and just because its not faster its not worth more money, brilliant way to look at things.

Sorry, I'm being pedantic here but it's pissing me off.
It's know not no when referring to knowing something.

As for the 197, I have test drove one twice now and yes, if I hadn't just bought a house, I would have one. It would be the R27 for me though.

I have test driven...;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Why is it when I look at the way you have structured your arguments and written the English language am I not surprised you would both rather have a Corsa VXR?

Haha dude no way, I was reading this thread thinking the EXACT same thing heh.

This thread needs deleting - it's worse than the weekly "CTR vs 1*2 which would win?"

Just for the record, I've driven both a few times now. The 197 is by far the better all-rounder IMHO - in a straight line I doubt either would pull away from the other. My money would be on the 197 in the corners. Of course, it's quite like the 197 driver hadn't had it very long, didn't wanna thrash it too hard, and didn't wanna risk binning it for the sake of showing up a couple of jealous go boys...

Dan

Black Gold with cup packs
Better looking, better handling, better build quality, can be used as a family car as there is alot of room inside the car, just as fast in my opinion, wait until a few of these cups and R27's are run in properly!
I think you would be in for a big surprise.
Vauxhall Corsa, these cars are the ideal image for a trust up CHAV. By all means buy one, if you talk in a lingo only you and your fellow chavs understand! As above. But if you want a car with quality, experience and have been making fast road cars for 20 years hit the Renault hard as it is superb. Otherwise, if you like Burrbery(hope thats how it is) buy the corsa as it will really suit your image :).

Clio 197 F1 R27

Well said, he sounds like a right Bell. Prob knobs his 182 aswell

Clio 197 F1 R27
The 172/182 is a great car, the 197 is just better, it's a no brainer, but thats not to say the 182 is bad, the trophy sounds awesome!!!! But you have to hate people who just have no clue and just love their car no matter what, idiots!

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
we currently own an R27 and a 182 with the cup pack. and we'd pick the R27 anyday, dont get me wrong our 182 is a fantastic car but not as good as the r27, there is no difference in straight line speed and the R27 corners better.
It sort of seems that a lot of people with 182's find any reason to **** off 197's.
They are both great cars for different reasons

Turbo LY R27
oh dear! cant see anywhere in my thread where im moaning? and yes ill be in milton keynes all day tomorrow so if you have a private track we could have a spin? i hate to point it out but the 182 has more torque than 197 so dont know how it can feel more tourquey as u spell it? if you have nothing constructive to say and just want to call me a c**k i suggest you do it outside the forum[/quote]

My god your like a woman!! Love to pick at every thing even my spelling! just a mistake im sorry mrs watt.:rasp:

Go test drive a 197 mate, then get back to me. Your forgetting i used to own a 182. I was the first to **** off the 197 a year ago then i drove one and loved it. To be honest i dont really see why you did this thread unless you like stiring up trouble? As for anything constructive to say, you have clearly displayed that you cant so you my friend can f**k off outside the forum!
Rant over!
I win

Mike 1
Mrs watt 0

Ps to any one that thinks im slagging off the 182 i aint so dont blast me, im just think he is a tool!:)

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Right, test drove the 197 today.

A 06 normal 197 in red with 14,000 miles on the clock. I really liked the look of it in the flesh, much better than in pictures and i prefer the look of it to my old 172 cup.

I did the usual test of listening to the sound the doors make when shutting and it did sound more tinny then my civic and again inside the interior was lower quality than my car (though to be expected and still better then the 172).

The standard seats were really supportive and the chunky wheel feels good in your hands (did notice some wear on the top with the leather lifting slightly - possible problem again?).

Driving the car i found it to have more power at low revs than my old cup and i would say just as powerful through 5000 - 7000 revs - i doubt theres anything in it between the 2 cars.

The 197 could even get better with more miles under its belt.

I couldnt really go too fast into bends as it was greasy on the b roads near the dealership but immediately it was clear this outhandled my civic by a mile.

The gearbox has a nice short shift as well with the clutch being slightly heavier than the civic.

Overall a really nice , quick car.

I feel slightly let down with the build quality being not as good as the honda, but if i never drove the civic after coming from a 172 cup i would have loved it.

Would i get one?

YES!

Im currently in discussion with the dealer about getting a 197 cup with recaro's and in white! They're just trying to better there poor first px offer on the civic.

Apart from the recaro's and in white is there any other options i should consider?

RB 197 + Cup Pack
I considered getting a white Cup & would have had Recaros & Air Con as options ....ended up ordering a 197 with the cup pack instead though.

R26
Got to laugh at this thread.

As an ex owner of a 182 (cupped) and frequently visiting this forum it seems to me like there is seasons on this forum.

season 1 - new car is released - most slate it
season 2 - people go out and test drive the new car - most slate and will never buy it because it's not worth the upgrade or inferior to the last
season 3 - a few people take the plunge and get ripped for it
season 4 - lots of people have now moved over and get defensive and really fall into season 3 contenders.

I remember this chat roughly, all be it about 182 v 172 about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago when the 182 came out, I also remember almost everyone who posted for a certain period of time being feeling total shock and disdain for the 197 when it emerged from the drawing board.

comments like - its ugly, it's too fat, it's to slow, how come the in gear acceleration does not reflect the bhp per tonne etc.

Now had they stuck the R26 engine in the clio with LSD on top - well I wouldn't be writing this now - I would be out tearing up the roads and very shortly after - tearing up my licence

But one thing is for sure - it's not worth falling out over - save it for clio mark 4 when we start at season 1 again.

Last edited:
If you want a 197 dont me and a mate jus met up with one had some fun our 182s r only remapped and mine lowered 40mm and we had him easy even on the 2 corners we had. then on the moterway we pushed him out the way! imo cant see the point in spending that much on a car thats slower? just thought id let potential buyers no
I kind of see what your saying:) , I would still quite like one though!.Iam going for a r26 230 come september of this year, now if they put the 225 lump into a 197 then Id buy one tomorow.

Got to laugh at this thread.

As an ex owner of a 182 (cupped) and frequently visiting this forum it seems to me like there is seasons on this forum.

season 1 - new car is released - most slate it
season 2 - people go out and test drive the new car - most slate and will never buy it because it's not worth the upgrade or inferior to the last
season 3 - a few people take the plunge and get ripped for it
season 4 - lots of people have now moved over and get defensive and really fall into season 3 contenders.

I remember this chat roughly, all be it about 182 v 172 about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago when the 182 came out, I also remember almost everyone who posted for a certain period of time being feeling total shock and disdain for the 197 when it emerged from the drawing board.

comments like - its ugly, it's too fat, it's to slow, how come the in gear acceleration does not reflect the bhp per tonne etc.

Now had they stuck the R26 engine in the clio with LSD on top - well I wouldn't be writing this now - I would be out tearing up the roads and very shortly after - tearing up my licence

But one thing is for sure - it's not worth falling out over - save it for clio mark 4 when we start at season 1 again.
225 lump into 197, beat me to it:) !

Inferno 182
Cliosport is brilliant
my thoughts as well jeremy :lolup:

to watty yes i have had a 182 cup a 182 FF which are fantastic cars and numerous other fast renaults over the years and now have a 197 which is just a fantastic car and the natural progression,my guess is in about 3 years you too will probably have one?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
If they released a Clio RS with the 230 engine and an LSD I'd literally be ordering one tomorrow at 9am.

Dan

At the end of the day, if you want a performance upgrade and want to stick with renaultsport, the 230 Megane is where its at. Clio. Megane. I'm sure they're happy if you buy either.

My only problem with the 197 is that it's not all it can be...its straight line performance has been engineered to be slower than the Megane...Other than that it's a fantastic machine.

M2 Competition
At the end of the day, if you want a performance upgrade and want to stick with renaultsport, the 230 Megane is where its at. Clio. Megane. I'm sure they're happy if you buy either.

My only problem with the 197 is that it's not all it can be...its straight line performance has been engineered to be slower than the Megane...Other than that it's a fantastic machine.

What are you wearing?