ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washing, Polishing & Waxing

The Jinx

Right then. Ive seen loads of products mentioned on here and havent a clue what to use now.

I know of the companies, but:

Do you polish before waxing or vice-versa. And whats the purpose of the wax?

And then theres protection stuff?:confused: Dammit Im confused.

Polish first.. then wax to keep the shine in basically. Wax is the protection.

Meguiars 3 stage is excellent.

1 - Deep Cleaner, Gets rid of all the grime and stuff normal washing doesnt.

2 - Polish, gets it all nice and shiny, wet look.

3 - Wax, Keeps the shine in and Protects.

Alfa Mito 155TB

I use meguires three stage on my 172 and is excellent...going to use it on my girlfriends Streetka this weekend and the results will be awesome.

Autoglym and Autoglym extra gloss is a poor second in comparison...used it two weeks before using the meguires and the meguires stuff is tons better

GR7

Shiny red R32

Meguiars is poor second to Turtle Wax Extreme Polishing Wax and even poorer to the superb Turtle Wax Gloss Guard which you can even apply without polish if your car has been cleaned fairly recently. Armour All Car Wax, Simoniz Original and Comma Top Gloss are very good too.

Meguiars is a bit over rated!

haha, Turtle Wax isnt ANYWHERE near as good as Meguiars.. seriously.. Ive used both, and Turtle Wax, although good, isnt as deep and good a shine.. and it doesnt get rid of water in the same way.

Meguiars isnt rated enough - its by far the best Ive ever used... ever.

Toureg vW Transporte

nope ive use turtle wax extreme, mer, autoglym and meguires, and theres no match really, 1meguires 2 autoglym 3 turtle wax 4 mer

Alfa Mito 155TB

girlracer which meguires did you use and if you used the 3 stage stuff did you do the stage 1 stuff a minimum of two times?

I have used the turtle wax extreeme and the turtle wax gloss guard and it is pants in comparison to meguires...sorry thats just how it is.

I do like Turtle Wax Extreme - its a good polishing wax.. but its not in the same catagory of finish as Meguiars. Meguiars is definetly a better colour, finish and everything else..

It does take a long time to do all 3 stages.. but stage 1 only has to be done about twice a year, stage 2 every quarter of a year, and stage 3 as often as you want.. so after the initial clean, it doesnt take any longer really.

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 05 June 2003

did you do the stage 1 stuff a minimum of two times?
I used each Stage once, but spent time doing each.. it works better than anything else Ive seen.. hehe.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

yep.. meguires is the bizz.. i have never seen my car looking so shiny .. and with such a deep wet look to it..

Skoda Fabia vRS

i might try the Meguairs stuff, but ill only be gettin stages one and two

there is no wax better than this Zymol Carbon stuff ive got, its a PROPER wax, not loads of flammable chemicals and solvents with 5% wax....

hahaha. He saw the pic of my car and thinks this Meguiars stuff is worth a go.. he loves it..

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 05 June 2003

Girlracer which meguires did you use and if you used the 3 stage stuff did you do the stage 1 stuff a minimum of two times?
I have used the turtle wax extreeme and the turtle wax gloss guard and it is pants in comparison to meguires...sorry thats just how it is.

That just depends on how well you use the polish!!

I cant see how some people can be bothered to polish their cars and then polish over the polish several more times!! My car always looks shiny and brand new and I dont polish on top of polish, although occasionally I use a gloss finish.

I have tried the Meguiars Deep Crystal steps 2 & 3 and it wasnt bad, but it takes twice as long as the Turtle Wax Gloss Guard and some of the other polishes and it isnt worth the extra cost and time it takes. I tried Mer ages ago and it is far too powdery for my liking!

Just my opinion!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 05 June 2003

I might try the Meguairs stuff, but ill only be gettin stages one and two
there is no wax better than this Zymol Carbon stuff ive got, its a PROPER wax, not loads of flammable chemicals and solvents with 5% wax....
BRUN

You have to say that about Zymol because you have been given the stuff for free!!

;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

no i dont !

your jus jealous hehe

and its true about liquid polishes, try and light one, most of em will set on fire

they will have 10% wax at most, and its quality wont be anywhere near the Zymol stuff

a usual liquid polish is 80% solvents, only 5% wax, 10% cleaning compounds & the rest is silicate dust

GR7

Shiny red R32

Well whatever it is it keeps my car very shiny!! I rather like the original Simoniz hard wax in a tin and the Armour-All wax too.

;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

you tried the Extreme proper wax GR ?......the one in the tub with free applicator ?

GR7

Shiny red R32

There isnt much I havent tried - I have a cupboard full of car cleaning stuff!

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 05 June 2003

Well whatever it is it keeps my car very shiny!! I rather like the original Simoniz hard wax in a tin and the Armour-All wax too.

;)
Thats what I use - tried loads and everything thats easy doesnt last very long - havent tried Zymol of Meguires yet tho.

I need some advice please

I dont wash or wax my car at present - just take it to the car wash and get it done there (I know you are probably thinking - WHAT?!?!!?!!!). Does the finish last a lot longer when the car is washed an waxed?

just a couple of questions:

1.How much longer does the finish last than just a wash?

2.how much does all the stuff costs to get a good finish?

3. what do i need to buy? (heard you talk about waxes and olishes etc..)

cheers for your advice.

martin

Skoda Fabia vRS

right, first of all, yes.........WHAT?!?!!?!!!

dont take it through the car wash, especially brush ones as they create loads and loads of swirl marks on the paintwork

you can get no better wash than a hand wash

wax is essential in protecting your cars paintwork, it should be done 3-4 times a year to fully protect it

the finish lasts as long as the weather mate, but you should find that your cars a bit cleaner than usual for longer

you should be looking at £30 worth of bottled stuff minimum, and then you need a big bucket, a good sponge, and definitely a chamois.......you need a chamois, also polish applicator, buffing cloths and some good terry towels

if you wanna get it all from Halfords then id recommend a good shampoo such as Zymol Auto Wash, its very concentrated.....an very good

for the polish id go for Zymol Cleaner Wax or Turtle Wax Extreme

then you should buy a wax, a proper one in a tin/tub.......you can get Simoniz original from Colin_S on here for £6, from Halfords id go for Turtle Wax Original Hard Shell, or Turtle Wax Extreme

id recommend buying a Zymol Wax however, they are far superior to your usual waxes......for a silver car go for the Cream Wax.....it costs £40 a tub but it should last for 4 years even if used every month.....keep it in the fridge too.....so it only works out to £10 per year

once you have waxd your car then you dont need to polish it again for ages, just wash it, and every so often apply another layer of wax

http://www,mbrunskill.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water-sperms1divx.avi">Video 1

http://www,mbrunskill.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water-sperms2divx.avi">Video 2

look at my videos here to see what water does on a properly waxed surface, if you look around a car park when its rainin you can see which cars have been waxed, the ones that havent the water just kinda sticks to the paintwork an all the rain droplets just create a wet blanket on the car, on a waxd car the rain sits on the car in proper droplets and runs off

The Jinx

Ive heard elsewhere that Turtle Wax Emerald is the best as its the only one that contains 100% Carnauba. And since this is so there is no light refracted/reflected by the slicione particles, thus you get a true colour reflection.

Could be b****cks for all I know though.

Guess whos head office is right opposite mine:

Meguiars,

Just bought a load of product of the MD very nice man as it goes.

Anyway while there asked for club discount. He said that he couldnt offer me any direct but that if Jas or someone approched a local dealer saying that all club memebers would buy from them that we would get a 10% discount of the stuff. So come on area reps make a couple of calls

dont bother with 3 stage get clear coat body scrub and gold class clear coat wax. its what the md recomended to me and you can buy it online from www.meguiars.co.uk

clio sport mk1 golf

i like autoglym. Thats good stuff. Ive never heard of the meguirs stuff before, maybe i should try that. ps whats the best alloy wheel cleaner on the market? anyu ideas?

nosh and chloe

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

http://www.speeding.co.ukwww.speeding.co.uk is the best place I have found on the web for meguiars, only place I have found that does free delivery.

Loads of places stocking the stuff in the midlands but all only stock certion stuff. Only been able to get gold class wash and wax. Want three stage, drying cloth and lambswool mitt.

Ive used Autglym resin polish, turtle wax extreme, turtle wax emerald series and meguiars cleaner wax. To be honest, I cant really notice much of a difference between the products. The extreme wax beads water for a long time after application, the emerald series last a bit longer than that. Only use the emerald series when I have more time as its harder to apply. I wash my car at least 1 a month and always apply the wax after washing and dont see the point of applying several layers of other waxes, point of diminishing return etc.

cheers all for the help.

in particular, many thanks BRUN for the run down - needed it from the basics - so spot on. cheers mate.

will polish it up when it comes out of the panel beaters and put everyone round here to shame!!!

martin