ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water Pump Bolts Rounded ADVICE NEEDED!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
So thought I'd change the water pump after it had failed on me. I was able to remove 6 of the 9 bolts without any issue.

The remaining three have rounded. As there is little space I have removed headlight, tensioner and alternator.

Any tips for removing the rounded star shape bolts? I've tried bolt removers and mole grips but to no avail. I saw a recommendation of breaking bolt heads off and removing the studs after?

Regards,
Jay

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You say you've tried bolt/nut removers? Which type?

The Irwin ones have always been good for me.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Dremel a flat on 2 sides and put a spanner or wrench on it. If your changing the pump anyway. Get them warm prior to attempting to loosen them too.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If I do this, will breaking away the water pump make the bolts easier to turn?
Yes, as with the water pump casting out of the way, you’ll be able to get on the bolts with a pair of vice grips.

Whenever I’ve encountered this issue I’ve just used a small sharp chisel and knocked them round tbh. Even done it this way on sump bolts