ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Waxing after every wash

F56 MINI Cooper S
Now i usually wax after every wash which consists of, Jet wash - wash with washmitt and shampoo - dry with drying towel - wax on and then buff off - job done. However today I did wash - dry and thats it cos of the weather it started raining.

Should I be waxing after every wash because I can see loads of swirls in the paint now even more because I havnt waxed it or anything? Also the paint feels not as nice as it does when waxed?

I presume its not ideal to just wash, dry and then job done? If so what goes on after every weekley wash that i do?

cheers - Jordi

172 cup
Im no expert but I usually use aqua wax after every wash, which you can do whilst wet (you can dry and wax the car all in one). I use the HD wax every other month or so.

I also done this on my Megane f1 in liquid yellow. Looked mint all week round :)

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
A decent wax should last a few weeks easily.
Have you clayed it recently?

F56 MINI Cooper S
Never clayed

what do you mean get a better wax, what for, I mean i havnt used any today ands its showing more swirls and feels abit rough/not as smooth without wax. I use Megs Gold class wax

172 cup
It also depends what shampoo your using. If its the equivalent of a traffic film remover you wouldnt expect your wax to last long.

If the paint feels rough with your finger tips it needs claying.

Rinse
Wash
Tar remover
Rinse
Clay
Rinse
Polish
Wax

What are you using to dry?

If you have applied a wax thats durable then it shouldnt need doing every wash, you can a wash then a wipe down to bring back the shine with something like Z-6, the wax will still be there to protect the paintwork.

Clay is what it says in the name, a bar of clay that you rub over the paint work with a lube to get any contaminates out of the paintwork. This should alsways be followed by a polishing stage.

F56 MINI Cooper S
When i wax it feels nice and smooth, today after drying it feels rough and isif its never been washed which annoys me as ive done it every week since Ive owned it.

I used a MEGS water magnet drying towel, fairly new aswell.

Like i said, i apply wax every week but today i havnt but probably should have.

Are you saying I need to wax every week, or is there someting else i can use?

What wax are you using? you are proberly washing then just putting another layer on top of whats all ready thier.

If it was me i would strip it all back and start from scratch.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Megs gold class wax it is, yellow stuff.

what is the weekley process then, wash dry and then what?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Do as JS_182 says.

Once you clay it and remove all the contaminants the paint work will feel smooth like glass, then apply a decent wax (Ive got Auto glym HD wax, Dodo Juice and some plain carnauba wax) give it a few layers, that should last you a good few washes, provided your using a shampoo that wont strip the wax ( I use Dodo juice - Born to be mild, Dodo juice - Sour power, or Chemical Guys - maxi suds)

The wax wont remove swirls, it might fill them slightly and make them less visible. If you want to remove them you'll have to machine polish the car.

F56 MINI Cooper S
them few washes in between what do you do, just wash and dry or is there something other than wax to be applied?

it all depends on what you did the week before and how you sealed or protected it, Plus how dirty it has got that week. See my post above with the stages thats a big clean after that if you do it every week just a rinse down, wash using the 2BM, then just use a QD or something similar to bring the shine back.

If am honest i do my car probs 2 a month if am lucky.

them few washes in between what do you do, just wash and dry or is there something other than wax to be applied?

If you applied the wax say the week before then it will still be present the week after, a rinse, wash, QD will do fine. I surppose i good way to check is if it still beads, if it beads then the wax is still on.

Quick detailer, have a look on here http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/ take a look at the car car advice section.

Proberly Werkstat i think the Glos might be best for your colour am not 100% though.

I got recommeded Zaino Z-6 although its not a QD as such, you can use it for the same sort of thing after the wash and dry panel at a time spray on wipe off brings back the shiny look.

I dont know tbh, Gally might know.

Blackfire is a good product so it should be. The werkstat ones at the bottom are cheaper.

Like I said early mate it you run your finger tips across the paintwork after a wash and it feels rough it needs claying, may only be an 07reg but that's still 4years of contaminants attacking the paintworm if it hasn't been looked after.

F56 MINI Cooper S
It has been though, because i brought it last June and have washed it every week without fail (even in winter temperatures) since i got it. So it has been VERY well looked after since ive had her.

F56 MINI Cooper S
no its not, only like glass if I wax it, otherwise its not as nice to feel. this is why i wax it every week when I do a wash. But you said there is no need so maybe a spray would be ideal?

clio mk1 RSI
i find it better to add 2 coats of wax after i have clayed it , infact just loading pics fot thread spent all weekend detailing mine

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You need to back to basics mate.

Someone like him the polished bliss advice page.

Just clay the car, if you keep waxing on top of it of course it will 'feel' like glass. Strip back the wax, clay, polish then seal/wax.

BG 182
Thats what im asking for advicies for yous

The advice has already been given mate, regular washing won't stop contaminants bonding to your paintwork, hence the rough feel. Clay it, polish it, then wax it and you'll be fine. Depending on the wax you're using depends on how many washes you'll get before waxing again.

You're a member on detailing world aren't you ? Look at the guides from junkman, he has a video on claying and explains things very well.