ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Petrol Blue Project continued

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Slowly working my way though the interior and finally changed the broken led bulb in the cabin for a normal W5W one. So much more light and not the horrible faint blue glow.

20210504_203028.jpg

Door card of the front door is done now, just waiting for the paint to dry on the speaker rings and then the speaker and door card can go back in.
20210504_220540.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Little progress on the sound deadening, lots of work, little time.

Just a couple of small upgrades, fresh PAS fluid and brake fluid bleed last week ready for the Donington Park evening session.

20210515_084058.jpg

Very wet evening at Donington with about 15-20 M3s attending so quite a lot of spectacular sideways action!

Car ran faultlessly, didn't need anything but fuel and new wipers.
Screenshot_20210526-222108_Chrome.jpg

Ordered new wipers as they seemed to be giving up and I've been wanting to see what the whole PIAA thing is all about.

Gave the windscreen a clean, polish and then wiped with the included wipe, see if they are worth the money.

20210526_195212.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Interesting that you went for the D4 ATF and not the dedicated power steering fluid they do. I've just put some of that in mine.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Little progress on the sound deadening, lots of work, little time.

Just a couple of small upgrades, fresh PAS fluid and brake fluid bleed last week ready for the Donington Park evening session.

View attachment 1540574

Very wet evening at Donington with about 15-20 M3s attending so quite a lot of spectacular sideways action!

Car ran faultlessly, didn't need anything but fuel and new wipers.
View attachment 1540578

Ordered new wipers as they seemed to be giving up and I've been wanting to see what the whole PIAA thing is all about.

Gave the windscreen a clean, polish and then wiped with the included wipe, see if they are worth the money.

View attachment 1540575

Bin them and get bosch aerotwins

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I suspect the included window treatment wipe is very similar to rain x.

Do find that Rain X wears off quite quickly for speeds under 40mph.

Usually coat my windows in Gyeon View, so never really use the wipers on the motorway anyway but in heavy rain on track I found not using wipers not an option in low speed corners and with all the spray behind other cars.

Just interested to see how much truth their claim of leaving behind a water repellent coating while using the wipers holds.

If that turns out to be a load of crp I'll be switching back to the Bosch Aerotwins.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah in spray the droplet sizes don't seem to be big enough to clear properly, more of a mist than rain. I rain-x'd mine over a year ago and it's still going strong. I use the bosch aero twin wipers too.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Been using the Petrol Blue a bit more, almost 2000 miles in two months, including two trackdays, Oulton Park in July and Anglesey last Monday.

Two good days, both dry and sunny, which meant lots of comments on the colour.

Surprised a couple of people at Anglesey who assumed I'd wrapped it until @HAP showed up with exactly the same 'wrap'!

20210823_100040.jpg

Did notice that my horn had ceased to work.

Reconnected a loose wire in the wheel well which didn't fix it so feared I'd damaged the wiring when I had the airbag out recently.

Luckily it was just filthy switches, quick clean and all three work again. While there I gave the ignition switch a polish as well.

20210825_155323.jpg

20210825_155447.jpg

20210825_161804.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know why we didn't take any more, I literally have one single picture of cars that day.

HAP

ClioSport Club Member
  Petrol blue 182
To be fair my car was absolutely filthy! So it's probably best that you didn't take any pictures of it haha.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Annual service with a couple of extras done at Birchdown in Malpas. Oil/filter change, new track rods/ends, fit camber bolts and a couple minor things.

Brilliant service as always, thanks @Birchdown!

Had the car booked in for wheel alignment the day after but sadly the garage I'd booked couldn't adjust the camber. Bit of phoning around and Demon Tweeks were able to fit me in thst afternoon, took me from 0900 till 1500 to get the alignment done but it feels great, like a new car, so much sharper.

See how it feels at Anglesey on Monday.

Before
20211007_200527.jpg

After
20211007_200536.jpg

While I was at Demon Tweeks I got a bronze Ultraleggera out, I quite like it, nicer than the hyper silver I think.

20211007_140754.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Annual service with a couple of extras done at Birchdown in Malpas. Oil/filter change, new track rods/ends, fit camber bolts and a couple minor things.

Brilliant service as always, thanks @Birchdown!

Had the car booked in for wheel alignment the day after but sadly the garage I'd booked couldn't adjust the camber. Bit of phoning around and Demon Tweeks were able to fit me in thst afternoon, took me from 0900 till 1500 to get the alignment done but it feels great, like a new car, so much sharper.

See how it feels at Anglesey on Monday.

Before
View attachment 1561401

After
View attachment 1561402

While I was at Demon Tweeks I got a bronze Ultraleggera out, I quite like it, nicer than the hyper silver I think.

View attachment 1561403

Not a good match for the car colour imo anthracite all the way

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
It's just something else, think gold would match the gold paint flake better but they're a bit too bright.

Matte graphite is the grey option for these, but I think they might look a bit dull. Easy to clean after a trackday though!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Not much happening with the Petrol Blue, didn't drive it much as I was off work for two months due to the arrival of our second child but been to Oulton Park last Tuesday.

Brilliant day, cold and slippery in the morning but sunny all day so the track dried out mid morning. Still amazed at how much difference a bit of extra negative camber up front makes.

20220118_094059.jpg

Did get winter tyres fitted and gave it a wash yesterday as it was absolutely covered in salt and grime.

Initially wasn't a fan of black wheels but they're actually growing on me. (and finally found and fitted the center caps @HAP!)

20220120_142028.jpg

20220120_165117.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Nearly a year without updates.. Just not had the time with work and kids!

Clio has been doing well and just celebrated three years of ownership.

Quick summary of things done this year:
Rear shocks
Spark plugs
Gearbox oil
Indicator lens
Gear lever gaiter

Boot lock stopped working so took that apart, was just full of plastic dust and grease, all cleaned out and working fine again.

20220804_162220.jpg

With winter approaching and no more trackdays booked I decided to SORN the car and review the brake system.

Noticed three out of four bleed valves were leaking last trackday so got the calipers sent off to M.S. Custom Engineering.

Max was great to deal with and within two weeks I had the refurbished calipers back, ready to go on with the PMS 280mm brackets so I have the option to run 15" wheels.

received_819956719053849.jpeg

Genuine Renault discs this time
20221122_155150.jpg

Rear flexis replaced with braided HEL hoses
20221025_144837.jpg

Other upgrades are titanium shims, Ds2500 rear pads and Castrol SRF.
20221103_133348.jpg

Only thing I'm waiting for now are air scoops to fit the brake cooling kit. They should be arriving in the new year and then I'll have to get some more trackdays booked.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
All ready for Oulton Park tomorrow.

New Zestino Gredge tyres fitted, all fluids topped up, oil change done, brakes bled again and cooling fitted.

Air scoops arrived and are a perfect fit. Seller was super helpful and willing to adapt the design to fit the 54mm air ducts for the BYC kit.

20230126_134439.jpg

20230124_142734.jpg

20230124_142728.jpg

Brakes look tiny in these wheels now, coming from 300mm discs!

20230126_134423.jpg

Looks like it's going to be cold but sunny, hoping for a great start of the season!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
All ready for Oulton Park tomorrow.

New Zestino Gredge tyres fitted, all fluids topped up, oil change done, brakes bled again and cooling fitted.

Air scoops arrived and are a perfect fit. Seller was super helpful and willing to adapt the design to fit the 54mm air ducts for the BYC kit.

View attachment 1629018

View attachment 1629019

View attachment 1629022

Brakes look tiny in these wheels now, coming from 300mm discs!

View attachment 1629016

Looks like it's going to be cold but sunny, hoping for a great start of the season!
Be interesting to see how those Gredge perform. Any reason you went with the Soft compound over the medium? I guess it's still very cold so they'll probably suit the current conditions.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I've read very little about them but the price was good so thought I'd give them a go.

Was going to go for the medium but soft is TW140 which is what my old 595 RSR were and they coped quite well with 20 minute sessions in winter and summer.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ticked over 110k, which means exactly 10.000 miles in my ownership and still going strong.

First time I've got a light as I've removed the passenger seat to finally put the stereocables away.

20230828_114923.jpg

Steering got a bit vague and started pulling left and right coming on and off the throttle which turned out to be the balljoints. Replaced with Lemforder items and all is good again. Just been for a drive and the vagueness is all gone.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Got a wheel alignment done in preparation for Anglesey last Monday.

2023-09-29_18.59.56.jpg

Was a great day, beautiful weather and except for splitting an air conditioning pipe the car performed faultlessly.

53213817406_cc55085534_o.jpg
53212909387_a21574e61f_o.jpg

Also finally finished the speaker cable/sound deadening in the front. Have been driving around with cables across the cabin for more than two years 😂

2023-09-29_19.01.20.jpg

Had to crack on a bit so not many photos as I wanted to get it finished before Anglesey again on Monday. Not driven it except to move it on the drive but it sounded a bit quieter again.

Still can't believe how awesome these little cars are, fairly comfortable, usable and economical on the road and lots of fun on track!