ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What can i expect my ph1 172 to beat?

Countryman JCW
Just brought a standard ph1 172 sport and really enjoying it!

Was wondering what would and wouldnt be a good idea to try and beat off the lights?

Im hoping that i can give civic type r's a run for their money? obv not going to bother with Evo's and Scoobs etc... but just what should be fun to have a play with around some country roads and traffic lights

cheers

Countryman JCW
Haha!! well thats me sorted then, aslong as i can show up the chav in his saxo im set!

anyone raced a type r ?

340i
Haha!! well thats me sorted then, aslong as i can show up the chav in his saxo im set!

anyone raced a type r ?

Old type R hardly anything between them, he will prob creep ahead

New type R... from a standing start up to 90mph i was around 3-4 car lengths ahead :eek:

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
hi i have owned my civic type r for nearly two year and drove a 182 cup today, and to be fair the 182 isnt much slower than the ctr. up to 70-80 i doubt there would alot in it but, after that the ctr will just pull away mate because of the better gearing.

never drove a 172 tho

kev

Honda Civic Type R GT

anyone raced a type r ?

Old type R hardly anything between them, he will prob creep ahead

New type R... from a standing start up to 90mph i was around 3-4 car lengths ahead :eek:

Maybe the person driving the Civic was not going for it?

Maybe the guy in the 182 that I pulled about 6 car lengths ahead this morning wasn't?

Who knows, just a thought!

Evo 6, E92 320d
I had a bit of a tussle with a BMW 525i in my RSi... i lost on the dual carriageway but stayed well ahead on the b road:), thats where your battles should take place.

ST170
Don't try it with a Xsara VTS ;)

Seriously, cars you'll more than likely beat are Saxo VTS & Pug 106 Gti's (just), 306 GTi's/Xsara VTS just, civic type r's, Golf Gti's, Corsa VXr, RX8 190's, Impreza WRX (not classic or from standing start) about the same.

Don't bother with Astra VXr, Focus ST, Focus RS, Megane 225/230.

You could of course just buy evo mag and check out the figs at the back

Of course this is only straight line stuff.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Don't try it with a Xsara VTS ;)

Seriously, cars you'll more than likely beat are Saxo VTS & Pug 106 Gti's (just), 306 GTi's/Xsara VTS just, civic type r's, Golf Gti's, Corsa VXr, RX8 190's, Impreza WRX (not classic or from standing start) about the same.

Don't bother with Astra VXr, Focus ST, Focus RS, Megane 225/230.

You could of course just buy evo mag and check out the figs at the back

Of course this is only straight line stuff.

I've stayed with a Focus RS and ST in my Cup.

Above a ton they pull away but until then the Cup holds it's own.

Last edited:
  Tangoed Works
i can see cliosport turning in to chavva sport slowly. how long before a 172 cup then 182 then 197 owner starts writing these threads as the cars become cheaper lol.

Honda Civic Type R GT
i can see cliosport turning in to chavva sport slowly. how long before a 172 cup then 182 then 197 owner starts writing these threads as the cars become cheaper lol.

Naaaa it's sort of been like this from the start! lol

Could be worse we could be talking about Novas with big bores!

ST170
I stayed with them in my 182 when I had it, but I always felt they had the upper hand. Standard for standard, yes there is not that much difference in ANY of the hot hatches.

Hell, I've beaten a civic type r in my Xsara. On paper it's not that much faster than my lightly modded Xsara but I probably got my foot down faster and when you are talking about such small margins that's all it takes.

Tangoed Works

Very true son, I remember the old PECO BB4 and BB2 in the back of max power lol, never did all that mind you. Knew it was chav from day one.

How I have not stopped laughing since fast and furious came out and every one turned into a boy racer with what ever s**t box they owned... universal back box anyone? It can lose you 5 bhp straight away... open induction kit, theres another 5bhp out the window.

Hey it sounds like Ive got a gazillion horsepower now!!!

When will these suckers learn?

BMW E46 330i Touring
I beat a dude on a pushbike earlier tonight... he jumped the lights and got a rolling start, and was even wearing go-fast lycra and a helmet, but once I changed gear 27.346 times (fast and the furious style) and hit 2nd, he was a spec in my mirror...

Um, in all honesty, you'll beat the cars that you're faster than, you'll not beat the cars that are quicker.

172 ph2
Try a mobility scooter or a 3 wheeler or a pram

As for the coments on novas you will find more 'boy racers' on cliosport than PNG.

Countryman JCW
Sorry to those who thought i was being a chav by asking this Q, i have obviously offended a few people!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Not really offence mate, just the question about what various cars are quicker than comes up quite a lot!

There's so many variables, including driver ability, that it's very difficult to say what you can/can't beat. 0-60 times aren't particularly useable on the majority of the nation's roads, with the Clio's handling ability coming into it's own against supposedly faster cars.

Astra van,Mk1 nova

Tut tut, yet more nova slander, when are people going to realise that not all novas are chav and there are some real enthusiasts out there:dapprove:

2005 Impreza WRX STI
god, I missed the sarcasm on here! lol
But seriously...... You will not find much difference between vts/106 gti sort of pace up to 210/220 bhp cars ie subarus/focus rs etc. You will be suprised how little there is between them. Dont be racing on the roads though, thats for CHAVS. Get to some track days or 1/4 mile events!