ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What colour for my OZ F1s? Black Ph1 172

FormulaFord Ecoboost
My wheels need a refurb and I'm not ready to be spending £250 on a refurb so I'm doing it myself.

First instinct is Ford Graphite (baa baa!) as I think it'll look good. Don't really want to head down the bright coloured route though. Don't really fancy silver or black and can't think of any other colour.

Any suggestions or comments?

Mk5 golf gti
ford graphite looks good on the black phase 1's

ps Black Phase 1's are made of win ;)

FormulaFord Ecoboost
I think I'll try the spare and then see what I think in Ford Graphite. If I change my mind then I'll do the others a different colour.

Thanks for the comments, I also like black Ph1s :) looks fantastic clean

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
BLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACK.

Yup, black.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
I've started the process of refurbing them in Ford graphite, there are loads of threads on this but I thought I'd pop some pictures up

Couple of gouges on the spare with some kerbing (not my doing!)
eb491363.jpg

Close up
97559f06.jpg

20c731ca.jpg

Sanded it down and them filled. Went a bit OTT with filler but it sanded down ok

eed72e3b.jpg

f16d51b4.jpg

c7686c02.jpg

Built a ghetto spray booth using 3 cheap shower curtains and some washing line

150dadea.jpg

2ac02b68.jpg

More to follow

Last edited:
  172 RS Ph1
Sweet! Fun to see this, hope you keep posting pictures!

What did you use to fillt hem, and what grade sandpaper are you using?

FormulaFord Ecoboost
  FormulaFord Ecoboost
All done with the primer, might consider a couple more coats on the inside/rear though

70c97704.jpg

Bunged up the bolt holes to avoid getting paint where the head of the nut meets the wheel.

87de7cf4.jpg

A couple of marks from the kerbing that I've not managed to get perfect with the filler. No big deal, not trying to get them perfect, besides this is the spare.

e64190ca.jpg

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Nice work there mate, doing wheels is all about having patience.

Keep it up

Damn right it is, this is a labour of love I'll tell you. Spent hours on the first wheel and I've got the rest to do. At least I'll be quicker with the next wheel as sanding should be quicker.

Question on that. Will sandblasting take too much of the existing primer off? I don't mind the painting bit because I'm OCD but the sanding down takes ages and drives me nuts. If somebody could do all that bit quicker then I'd be happy.
If I did sand them down to the metal, is the process the same to add the primer, then paint?

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Update:

Ready for laquer now
ba3b9db4.jpg

I cocked up, I painted the back last and in doing so go overspray on the sides of the spokes. I also turned the wheel on it's front, rested on a towel... The fibres left a pattern in the paint :(

I sanded the areas lightly with 1200 grit and then did two more coats... We're upto 7 coats now :( The other wheels will be done more economically due to the lessone learned.

I've also painted and finished off a centre cap, which I'm very pleased with.

dfe8c538.jpg

b55c4934.jpg

FormulaFord Ecoboost
How do I get a mod to rename this thread as it's become more of a 'OZ F1 wheel refurbish' thread now. Maybe it could also go in the media section?

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Thanks

It's just whatever lacquer Halfords have:

Halfords Grey Primer
Halfords Ford Graphite
Halfords Clear lacquer

In fact everything was bought from Halfords, purely because they're round the corner :)

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Did I mention that I've never done anything like this before? In fact last time a sprayed anything was a mountain bike when I was twelve... It looked s**t with all the run lines LOL

2004 ph2 172
Nice Job there fella!

What filler did you use?

EDIT
: Just read the post where you say what filler you used... *slaps self*

Last edited:
  Renault Clio sport 172
looks like you're doing a good job mate!!

whats the best silver to go for, as i'm thinking of doing mine silver?

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Hmm, put it on the car and now I'm not sure at all...

df1f0e1f.jpg

1aab146e.jpg

Looks too dark so maybe I should just stick to silver or certainly a lighter grey?

FormulaFord Ecoboost
I would, eventually like to get some sportline or prolines. I don't really like the look of really low cars but it could do with coming down a little bit. Subtle is what I want :)

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sorry mate. I meant to ask where can i buy some centre caps from. Ive got a second hand set of F1's but i need some centre caps. I can get stickers off ebay but i like your renault ones better. Are they off Speedline Turinis