ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is the best stuff to clean toad tar off my white 197

Black Gold with cup packs
As above I am finding that autoglym super resin polish is not quite good enough. It's getting rifd of some of it but not all of it, What stuff would you guys reccomend to get rid of it totally?

Mito Sportiva 135
Toad tar??! :dead:

Er I would try a tar remover, such as the AG version.

Once you have cleaned it well make sure to seal it, which I am sure you know, as it will reduce contaminants sticking again (although with fresh tar it still happens :mad:)

Yeah Autoglym Tar remover is brilliant, use a bug and fly remover pad too.

Yeah a clean and seal using SRP and EGP is in order. Mine still looks mint every wash now 4 months after doing it :D

Oki Doki I will buy some Auto glym tar remover, Clay and a sealent?
Not to clever on the cleaning front, always been, two bucket washer, then polish, then wax.

106 GTi
Another vote for the Autoglym Tar Remover, it is a safer option than shearing it off using clay which can cause scratches.

Its a brand new car and I really dougbt it needs a clay anyhow.
As I said It is very small amounts, the polish got rid of the majority.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Dont use polish to try and rub the tar off, does more bad than good. AG tar remover, leave it on to work its magic and wash as normal.

Turbo LY R27
Does clay really scratch badly then? Ive done it twive on my car and never noticed anything. I just kept folding the clay all the time. I admit my car is new so its not ever been that bad but it does work wonders on the places it builds up onthe most and when its been polished afterwards it looks the nuts.

106 GTi
Does clay really scratch badly then? Ive done it twive on my car and never noticed anything. I just kept folding the clay all the time. I admit my car is new so its not ever been that bad but it does work wonders on the places it builds up onthe most and when its been polished afterwards it looks the nuts.

Most dark colour cars will look worse after claying ! As long as your carefull you should introduce only minor defects, and on light colours you wont dee them. It is possible to leave major marring though.

Shearing off chunks of clay can be asking for trouble when they scrape against the paint. Why take the risk when you can safely dissolve it ?

Turbo LY R27
Dont you ever cley then rich? Whats best to keep my paint good mate if ya dont mind. Got an LY R27. I wash with 2 bucket method and megs mitt. dry with megs towel. Then good layer of SRP then AGP and megs wax. And megs scratchX for those light hairline scratches. The paint is super gaurded as well. Any good products you could recomend for the colour? I dont have a PC by the way, all done by hand. The paint so far has no defects (touch wood). What you recon Rich?
Any feedback mucho appreciated mate.:)

Ps waht is a GGR 333?:S

106 GTi
I spot clayed a couple of areas on collection but the whole car has never needed it. Has been garaged everyday and night in my ownership and never gets subjected to rain let alone stuff that needs claying !

The Scratch X will have removed you Supergaurd though. Sounds like a good process, AG SRP and EGP give great results, maybe look at a decent carnuba wax to add a little more to the looks.

As for the GGR Conversion just do a quick search on the word Gooch on here pmsl !

Turbo LY R27
Cheers mate. Legend!! Better leave the scratchX alone then LOL. I only used it on 2 areas. The 3rd day i picked up the R27 some git throw a bottle os something at my car!! Got the dent out but when i got the car back it had a few swirls in that one area. Got rid of most of them. Rest of the car is spotless. Does scratchX actually correct paintwork or just cover up and disguise? If so can you recomend any correction stuff? Or will i have to buy a PC? (was gonna buy a megs g220 in the spring and practice on my mums ready for the summer :rasp: )

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I've got both the AutoGlym item and Turle Waxes Bug and Tar remover. Far easier and quicked with the Turtlewax product....far more dangerous...???? Hmmm :S .

106 GTi
Guting about the damage Mike.

Scratch X with repeated applications should remove rather than hide the defects. Working by hand is just damn hard work, but some products can work well by it.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/car-lack-68-hand-polish-kit/prod_359.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/menzerna-250ml/intensive-polish-po91l-/prod_216.html

The later can be used by machine if you do update. The gloss you can get with a quick machine polish even with say a mild polish such as SRP really does easily surpass that you get get by hand.

106 GTi
If it is working for you and dissoving the tar, it will be safer than claying yes. Only problem with tar removers as they dissolve and remove the tar, they also remove the waxes and sealants!

Turbo LY R27
Yeah i was gutted to mate. it was on the left rear arch right on the bloody crease as well, luckily it wasnt any bigger or it would of needed re spraying after 3 days of ownership!!:dead:

But it cost me 60 quid just for the dent so wasnt so bad and looks fine now.

Cheers for the help rich.:)