ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel wax, which one...?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Never used the CG Wheel Guard.

Poorboys Wheel Sealant is ok though http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/poorboys-wheel-sealant/prod_9.html

or Gtechniq C5 http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armour/prod_878.html
if you're after long lasting durability. It does seem expensive, but you can just use a bit of it and sell the rest on.

Thanks for the link mate!:) Yeah does seem to be one of the better ones going on the report, very good claims on it's durability. Sadly one of the most expensive and it's out of stock.:(

172 Cup
I like Poorboys wheel sealant. Once the wheels have been fully cleaned (tar remover etc), i usually apply a couple of coats of poorboys to them and it gives good protection imo.

I am considering trying something like Swissvax autobahn once i have finished with my poorboys though ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Never used to myself, Jon.G swears by it though, he used it on his white turbines and they were still immaculate when he sold them. Get a few layers of it on and it's great, very durable too.

I'll link him to this thread to see if he will give you a quick review.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd never use any wheel sealant except C5 or nanolex. I don't use a sealant at all at the moment. Even if you're cleaning with shampoo you still need a wheel brush to get into the back to clean properly.

C5 and nanolex are the only 2 of the top of my head that are anano sealants for wheels. Protecting from serious tar and brake dust etc whilst lasting longer than 1 month ( read poorboys)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Thank you gentlemen for all your comments/info.:)

Seems the C5 really is getting the thumbs up! Just wondering if I can justify the price,hmmm....

FK1000p was brilliant and made them easy to clean, literally could clean them with a cheap microfiber on its own (no water etc). However like gally said tar and brake dust will start to eat through the wax quickly. Even with 5 coats of FK on my turbines tar did build up quickly (like it will anyway).

I'd like to try C5 next as it is suppose to be one of the best out there.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Cheers mate, and thanks for the offer but since I've got three cars on the drive to take care of I might as well buy one new.:)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Hello mate, haven't seen a monaro about.

C5 is the best, but wheels must be perfectly cleaned and isn't the easiest to apply, although a little thought and you should be fine. I have it on the front wheels of the focus, yet to do the rears, and a pressure washer is enough to bring them up.

If you're not wanting C5 then a thorough clean and cover with FK1000 or Colli 476 wax should see you through a good 3-6 months. but brake dust will still burn through it.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Hello mate, haven't seen a monaro about.

C5 is the best, but wheels must be perfectly cleaned and isn't the easiest to apply, although a little thought and you should be fine. I have it on the front wheels of the focus, yet to do the rears, and a pressure washer is enough to bring them up.

If you're not wanting C5 then a thorough clean and cover with FK1000 or Colli 476 wax should see you through a good 3-6 months. but brake dust will still burn through it.

...and you won't see that much of the Monaro either, I know they're juicy on the mpg but average of circa 12 to the gallon!! I wasn't prepared for this! High days, dry days....and pay days!!!!

The C5 is difficult to apply? How so dave? I'm hoping that tiny amount in the bottle lasts for sometime? Doesn't need a heavy application?

Thanks mate.:)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
if left to long it crystallises apparently. the prep should be perfect as well. I used lots of wheel cleaner, tar and iron remover before I gave them a light rub down with a mild polish compound and IPA wipe after. I'm looking to just about do 4x 17" focus alloys with 15ml. As long as you don't rush in you'll be fine.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
if left to long it crystallises apparently. the prep should be perfect as well. I used lots of wheel cleaner, tar and iron remover before I gave them a light rub down with a mild polish compound and IPA wipe after. I'm looking to just about do 4x 17" focus alloys with 15ml. As long as you don't rush in you'll be fine.

Ah, so a good surface which is keyed for application is essential. Do you reckon it's worth the money then Dave are you really impressed with the results? IPA wipe after the polish, never used beer to wipe my wheels before ;) But seriously whats IPA?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
think of it as pure alcohol. lol
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Isopropanol_cleaning_fluid_1.html
it ensures the surface is free from any oils or solvents ready for application. I used to get it from local chemists but they're a bit funny about that sort of thing now.

I've never enjoyed cleaning wheels so this is ideal for me if it lasts longer than a year. normal wheels sealants and waxes are ok but never really last all that long. there are others comparable to C5 like the nanolex that GAlly said but never tried it. I guess it depends on the condition of the wheels and how clean you want them, and want them to stay like it. The fact that your in the detailing sub forum and your past cars I reckon this or similar products may be just for you.

Not a 320d
I'd never use any wheel sealant except C5 or nanolex. I don't use a sealant at all at the moment. Even if you're cleaning with shampoo you still need a wheel brush to get into the back to clean properly.

C5 and nanolex are the only 2 of the top of my head that are anano sealants for wheels. Protecting from serious tar and brake dust etc whilst lasting longer than 1 month ( read poorboys)

f**king this.

Do it once and do it properly.

If its not within budget (Bearing in mine youll neec C5, IPA, Iron X and Clay - Elite car care does all this iirc) then Id choose FK1000p, Colly insulator or colly 476s that way youve got something for the door shuts too. but dont expect miracles.

Fk is still holding up, several months down the line. Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Rim wax mate well priced a all in one and a brill finish

rimming wax only ever gets used now on exhaust tips. can't remember the last time I used it on wheels. there are certainly much more durable items out there although it's not bad at removing cooked on carbon, especailly with a de cat

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I need to get some more c5 for my dampers. Never thought about using it for exhaust tips tbh. I hate decat soot!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
smart wax makes rim wax and i think its a top product myself :clap:

I'm well aware who makes it, it says on my pot that's still sitting in the shed.

Aucky have you used C5 on struts or dampers before, how did it perform? I'm needing to do it when I replace all my Golf suspension but was thinking of using C1

BWAB FTW

Not a 320d
rimming wax only ever gets used now on exhaust tips. can't remember the last time I used it on wheels. there are certainly much more durable items out there although it's not bad at removing cooked on carbon, especailly with a de cat

rimming wax only ever gets used now on exhaust tips.

rimming wax only ever ...

rimming wax....

1260554831862.jpg

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Dave, I've only used C5 on two sets of wheels and rear shocks which did about 4k so far.
If I had the chance I would've used C1 because afterall it's a lacquered surface. I'm not sure if the dampers are though. They might be metal paint/resin.

But anyway, I can't get C1 even of I wanted it. Not trade :(

R26
How far does 15ml of c5 go? Does it need diluting down or something? Sorry don't know too much about detailing.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've used half my 15ml C5 bottle to do 2x 17" Focus wheels, so should get the 4 done with a 15ml bottle unless I do something wrong. you don't dilute it

I can't decide between C1 & C5 for the struts, still hoping Rob of GT is going to reply to my thread on DW