ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

when buying a mk1 valver....

is it better to have an older car (say 91/92ish) but with lower milage (lets say under 80k?) or a newer car (95 onwards?) but with higher milage (90k onwards)?

basically im looking for a mk1 valver, but the only ones in my price range seem to have astronomical miles on them, one i saw had got 135k on the clock! :S

does high milage mater in a car like this, or is the engine pretty much gone after say 85k?

The engine is far from gone after 85k.

Just get the best you can find - old or new..

I'd say condition is much more important than mileage.

53 Clio's & counting
agred,i used to have a silver valver before my hybrid and that had done approx 154k when i sold it and that had a hill power chip so it revved out to 7700 and my god i drove that thing hard lol,and it just came back for more! thing is mate as long as u get one thats been lokked after and take care of it it will last

320d
The F7 engines are very strong get the best all rounder you can

Get one with as much service history as possible that way mileage isn't much of an issue, remember to check the cambelt has been changed aswell

Gearboxes are weak points and loose steering columns are common

Later phase 2's have nicer interiors than the blue and yellow fleck phase 1's

Cosmetically the rear arches are prone to rust and under the bottom of the boot lid tends to go aswell

Leaky sunroofs are also common

megane coupe F7R
Just buy the best you can mate. Check engine mounts and the gearbox though as ive broke my box twice. Other than that really my car still goes really well with no signs of giving up. Its now done 152k

ross_16v

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My old valver was on about 130k miles and still going strong and I used to thrash it all the time. As above, just make sure its been looked after.