ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which single mod gives biggest improvement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Which single modification in your opinion gives the best improvement in power output/delivery from:

Induction Kit
Matched Inlets
RS Tuner/Chip

Car is 1*2

Cheers
Si

S4 Avant
remap on its own probably wouldnt do much, when combined with decat and matched inlets, then it'd be a lot more effective

Da

Less
The RS Tuner will improve driveabilty/power delivery noticeably.

The other two wouldn't in my opinion.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
learning how to drive it ;)

Haha, touché :)

I'm considering some VERY subtle upgrades in the not too distant future but don't really want to spend a fortune and I'm dubious about the real life difference some of these 'mods' will actually make.

Thanks for any input guys :)

On a car with none RS stamped inlets then the inlet matching imo.

If it has matched inlets though, then RS Tuner/remap.

Cammed 182 :)
Remap doesnt need to be fastchip any good one will do avoid generic mapping. If you have a 172 then go for inlets matched. But to be honest its nots going to be hugely different unless you spend more ££.

Da

Less
Remap doesnt need to be fastchip any good one will do avoid generic mapping. If you have a 172 then go for inlets matched. But to be honest its nots going to be hugely different unless you spend more ££.

A remap is upwards of £300 though, and for the money (£100~) you can't beat the RS Tuner generic maps.

Inlets is dependant on the engine and IK is on the whole proven to lose power.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
So an RS tuner remap and matched inlets would probably yield the best bang for buck ya ?

Last edited:

Da

Less
Depends, we talking a 172 or a 182?

You'll feel a difference with the RS Tuner map alone.

Iceberg 172
I'm also dubious about modding a NA engine.

Do people who have all the above mods think they're worth it!?

I could put my decat and stealth exhaust from my old cup on my 172 but for the gains I don't think it's worth putting up with the noise! Plus I can't see the point unless i do the other mods mentioned above. Which I personally don't think offer the sort of gains I'd want for the money they cost.

The RS tuner map is more about increasing driveability than just power gains i.e giving you a smoother power delivery throughout the rev range rather than feck all until 5k then getting it all in one go.

Drive or be driven in a car with the work done. That way you can always make up your mind if it is really worth your heard earned pounds.

We have a 182 & a 172, both of which we gladly take people out in day to day, at meets or on trackdays to help people make up their own mind. Unfortunately we do not have the posh insurance (yet) where anyone can drive the company cars. :(

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Group N engine and gearbox mounts have given the biggest improvement to my car so far. Car felt completely transformed after with sharper throttle response, tighter steering and better handling.

Golf GTD Mk7
172Ben said:
Its not better, imo a live map will always be better.

But when you can buy the RSTuner for £170, remap it and sell it for £100.

Its a bargain.

Easy to do mate? Does it plug direct into the ecu or under the ash tray?

Golf GTD Mk7
172Ben said:
Under the ash tray. Yeh mega easy, just read the instructions and you're away :)

Hmmm tempting for sure. No power loss with it? Probably should get it mapped properly, but not got the funds

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I'd do the whole RS Tuner thing myself but would be worried to death I was going to brick my ECU, I think I'd rather Pay JMS to do it properly...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Yozzasport exhaust.

Not a lot will make your 1*2 faster, but by god will it sound faster! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.