ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining 172 owners (and the 182)

You didnt think the 172 would be the last Clio launched by Renault, did you? Im bored of hearing all you new-ish 172 owners going on about resale values and "why didnt Renault tell me about the 182" blah blah blah. Accept the fact you bought a 172 and live with it. Renault dont have to tell you anything, and it looks like theyre not even telling their own dealers yet. Cars/bikes/TVs etc get updated all the time and often out of the blue.

Glad Ive got that off my chest :mad:

At least youve GOT a car...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes 182 is such a minor update, most of which is retro fittable.

get over it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

dont read their posts then, simple. Im still pissed off about the p900 and that released over 1 year after I shelled out for the p800 which is like ages in mobile years.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 October 2003

dont read their posts then, simple. Im still pissed off about the p900 and that released over 1 year after I shelled out for the p800 which is like ages in mobile years.
Dude sell your p800 for £200 and then pay £50 more to get P900 on orange.

Well id be pretty pissed if i just ordered and paid for a 172 and there was a better model out a few months later...think of the depreciation! They have every right to vent their anger/worries as much as you have.

-Rob

thing is im not botherd about the update anyways. just makes mine seem slower to everyone else. example "nice clio over there" "yup its the 172" "but its not the fastest theres a 182 now isnt thre?" "yeah that rocks"

even when the answer should be "yeah but its actually no faster"

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 29 October 2003

Ye spose.. but I bought the phone outright on paygo scheme cause I was sick of monthly payments so I paid full retail for it.

Out of interest do you know if the p900 will support > 128mb external ?

Sorry dont mean to hijack this thread.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Yeah...so you only have a 172...get a decent zorst, Sealed IK, get the R-sport ECU and youll most probably be leaving the 182 behind

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ye spose.. but I bought the phone outright on paygo scheme cause I was sick of monthly payments so I paid full retail for it.

Out of interest do you know if the p900 will support > 128mb external ?

Sorry dont mean to hijack this thread.

No the duo pro cards wont be supported until firmware changes are put in place

Well im one of them pissed of Renault 172 customers expecting to take delivery of a 172 in 4 weeks. I wouldnt be bothered about the new model but the fact is I phoned renault uk before i placed my 172 order and asked if there was going to be a 182 version the reply, "No the next version will be the complete new model due in 2005" So on that advice i ordered a 172, now if they had been straight with me and said yeah theres a 182 due out around the begining of 2004 i would of waited. So in my opinion I have been mislead by renault UK.

And if you dont like the moaning posts dont fuking read them ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Moan moan moan

How did you hear about the 182 in the first place?

if you knew about it why did you order a 172?

Moan moan moan

How did you hear about the 182 in the first place?

if you knew about it why did you order a 172?
Because i belived the pictures were photoshoped, after renault uk told me there would be NO 182 :p

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

To be honest i doubt renault uk would tell you anyway.

They probably didnt know (Customer Services)
Why would they "leak" info to joe public?
And even if they did know they would want you to buy the current model.
I sympathise with your situation but to be honest its not a big deal is it?

Im with Tom. If there was a 182 in the wings, would Renault let their secret out to somebody off the street? I think not. I dont think you were mislead either, as Renault UK probably didnt know about it when you asked.

If you had doubts, and it bothered you, you shouldnt have order a 172.

You can always cancel your order, anyway.

I still think Id rather have the 172 for the following reasons:

the 182 is obviously going to be more expensive,

the 182 may have a higher insurance group,

the twin exhaust dont look that good anyway,

the 182 probably wont be any quicker than a 172 with IK remap and exhaust, or handle any better than a 172 with decent springs and tyres,

all the minor tweeks they have used to raise the power by 10 will be available, from friendly people on the forum (IGOTPARTS etc) if not from aftermarket suppliers.

The same thing happend on Scoobynet when they released the new version to replace the Bugeye and second hand prices nose dived.

TBH unless I win the lottery I will never buy a new car - the depreciation is a massive waste of money.

I can understand why people are pissed about this. But then again I can understand Renault too. Sure, you dont want to buy a brand new car that is already out-of-date and Renault need to sell those out-of-date cars before the new one comes. Thus is life.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 29 October 2003

TBH unless I win the lottery I will never buy a new car - the depreciation is a massive waste of money.
I thought the same, until I got a new Cup at used prices thanks to my mate... ;)

My depreciation wont be much at all ;)

Im not bothered bout the 182 now, I cant be arsed waiting anyways :oops:

Only 1 hour till I pickup the 172 :D

Boyo

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 October 2003

I thought the same, until I got a new Cup at used prices thanks to my mate... ;)
Well for the price I paid for my Williams I wouldnt have been far off a cheap cup but thats another story:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 October 2003
Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 29 October 2003TBH unless I win the lottery I will never buy a new car - the depreciation is a massive waste of money.[/QUOTE]I thought the same, until I got a new Cup at used prices thanks to my mate...  ;) 

Now your just asking for a kick in the knackers. ;)

ps. thx for the info Tom, thats what I thought.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Now your just asking for a kick in the knackers.
LOL

Its handy having a mate that gets cheap cars... :D

havin a moan is good for you. and promotes discussion so hows about this for a moan: everything about the clio could be described as sh*tty and low quality, i dont dare hit the dash for fear of air bag going off, its just a can with wheels but i fu*in love it, more because it feels light and responsive. it doesnt actually need a big bore exhaust, the engine sound glorious when opened up, the brakes are great, the handling is firm enough, thank god its not any harder it would jar and make my cds changer skip more. less is sometimes more, so..with that said why dont you shut for fu*kin mouth.

phill*

R

rich[182]

Ive calmed down now from my initial anger and can see both sides of the argument, 48 hrs later my only gripe is in the timing of Renaults imminent announcement at at time when Renault know full well that their are a number of customers who are still awaiting delivery of their 172 whilst announcing the arrival of the 182 before they have been given their keys.

However a counter argument is that they (me included) have also been given the choice to either cancel our 172s or take them, something that would not be the case if Renault delayed this announcement until say January, Then Id have gone ballistic !!

With the exception of the resale value issue that some are concerned with, Ive now come round to thinking the 182 is not worth waiting for and am gonna take my 172 in mid november

* 182 IS heavier so the +10bhp is probably cancelled out

* They wont sell it for the price I got my 172 for !!

* Twin rear pipes will NOT sound as good as a K-Tec or Magnex etc

* Quality of standard exhaust will still be crap, No aftermarket choices yet

* 172 with De-Cat, Cat-Back, IK and ECU will be quicker for same price

* Waiting for 182 - Might as well bloody wait for NEW 2.0 TURBO..........

* The last batch of 172s will have had more niggles sorted out than 182

ie 182 is NOT tried and tested, Might have a 1k rattle from new exhaust

* Cant be arsed waiting any longer

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by phill* on 29 October 2003

havin a moan is good for you. and promotes discussion so hows about this for a moan: everything about the clio could be described as sh*tty and low quality, i dont dare hit the dash for fear of air bag going off, its just a can with wheels but i fu*in love it, more because it feels light and responsive. it doesnt actually need a big bore exhaust, the engine sound glorious when opened up, the brakes are great, the handling is firm enough, thank god its not any harder it would jar and make my cds changer skip more. less is sometimes more, so..with that said why dont you shut for fu*kin mouth.

phill*

lmao

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by phill* on 29 October 2003

phill*
Excellent rant phill* http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/edoom/cussing.gif

i agree m8. i got my 172 for an absolute steal so when i come to sell it in 2.5yrs only need £2500 to pay of my finance. so i should be able to put some money towards megane rs :D

+ my clio hasnt so far (touch carbon) developed any probs i think the last batch may have had some niggles removed, i got mine about 1 month ago.

phill*

Hello everybody, new member speaking. Picking up a 172 from Motorpoint next week for my wifey, quite happy with the car for the price. She wanted a MX5 but I will drive it sometimes so persueded her to test drive the 172, big grin and convinced hehe!! As mentioned in other threads, being a bit older, I like discrete cars. I bought an import Leon Cupra last year, thinking I could chip it later. It hasnt been necessary, how fast do you need to go? Reading some of the old threads and reviews on here my only concern is build quality, can some of you reassure me it aint that bad??

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by cornish on 29 October 2003

my only concern is build quality, can some of you reassure me it aint that bad??
Yup It isnt that bad.

( Whispering in true cornish style ) its worse.;)

I think as soon as they decided to go ahead with the 182 they should have discounted the last of the 172s. I got a good deal on a CUP with CC so Im not that concerned but if Id ordered a 172 Id be pretty displeased. The 182 is going to be in some nice new colours and probably have better wheels which will be a big plus point. The extra power is not really important.

I might get one next year if I find the CUP too harsh.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Is the 182 gonna be the same shape as the current clio or the new clio??? :confused: Also I thought the 182 would only be available late next year early 2005 ????

Im really not arsed about the 182, just wish they had managed to build me a proper 172..... and not one from all the reject parts.lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by adtmits on 29 October 2003

Is the 182 gonna be the same shape as the current clio or the new clio???
Its just a facelifted version of the current mk2 model mate, not the "all new" one thats coming out in the future...

build all depends on what your individual cars like. Some clios fall apart some dont.... the ones that dont are a great second hand buy (but how would you know??) but will still have rattles, much more than a leon which is VW build.