ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why choose 172

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

dunno why people slate civic type rs i like em - find me a breadvan/mpv that looks like that. i wouldnt have one though as u have to thrape em everywhere

if you want one, get one, but if your thinking of going faster than a 172 then good luck......they are evenly matched.

but if you want a fast bread van, nothing will deliver the toasties faster than a M coupe......flipping fantastic car.

lol, @ kdf and dash, i have a 172 my dad has a ctr and yes its slightly faster in a straight line but its more expensive has less toys on it and tbh there is nothing in it on a twisty road, when i was looking it buying my 172 i bought loads of magazines with hothatch group tests and it was always the 172 and the ctr at the top of the list, some preferred the 172 some the ctr. they drive very differently but are both very quick they just deliver the power in different ways, to some the clio will appeal, to others the civic.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

That CTR pic in not standard it had had body modification. I like the CTR but Im not a fan of its looks but thats not to say it isnt good looking. Every one has different tastes some dont like the look of the clio!

i think the ctr looks stunning, it stands out alot more than 172s. Also it is a honda, and therefore reliable...you know the word that renault dont seem to understand.

Both cars have their good sides and bad sides, but you 172 boys are wrong to write the CTR off!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by ClioJohn on 03 June 2003

i think the ctr looks stunning, it stands out alot more than 172s. Also it is a honda, and therefore reliable...you know the word that renault dont seem to understand.

Both cars have their good sides and bad sides, but you 172 boys are wrong to write the CTR off!
he was askin for it comin on here sayin that sh*t though. and it is justa fast MPV!!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Price, toys and size. CTR is a very good looking car and every now and then I feel the CTR urge, but I do not regret buying my 172, I love it and will hate to see it go as I am getting a company car soon.

I do like the CTRs but much better looking???? Give over mate, Id hate to see your girlfriend ( only joking ) I do like the alloys and front spoiler but at the end of the day its just a Civic to me ( ie new gen people carrier style car ) At the end of the day they are good motors, but I cant see a 172 / Cup owner switching to one as the perfomance isnt any/much better.

G

Gezzer172

The civic range has always been the type of car my grandad would buy (i think he did buy one actually!). Althought the CTR looks very differnet from the standard civies, although it looks lovely and although it is built by Honda (thus very reliable), it wll always have that grandaddy feel to it for me. Hence why i opted for the 172 despite a marginal performance difference.

Oh dear this is getting nasty,

CTR - Ugly (very poor styling), Xenons - No, Leather - No

172 - A Beauty, and an all rounder, apart from being a little tight in the back.

CTR EK9 turbo

I like the look of the CTR.

Yet to find one to toast me tho. Apparently they have a much higher top end? not from what ive experienced.....

VW Potato

i cant put my finger on why, but.... I always think the CTR lacks substance. Im not too sure what I mean by that, but its my gut reaction (and over-riding impression) when I see one.

g

Suzuki SV1000S

If you read the topgear review on hot hatches you will find that the clio cup is actually the fasted car round a track for 20k.

the cup also produces 168hp per tonne and the civic type-r produces just 162hp.

Also Before I bought my cup I test drove all the small and fast cars including mg tf and elise etc, and the clio cup was definately the most fun and the best sounding car

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 04 June 2003

If you read the topgear review on hot hatches you will find that the clio cup is actually the fasted car round a track for 20k.
But if you read the last AutoCar group test, the CTR was actually quicker round a track than the Cup, so go figure...

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I think it would depend entirely on the circuit. There was another Autocar group test where the 172 beat the CTR round the track. Long straights suiting the CTR whereas tight bends would probably suit the 172

2012 WRX Waggon

Flashed past a CTR yesterday as the driver was lounging in the slow lane, it was funny cos he had his window down flappin his arm about trying to keep cool - His arm shot back in...but it was to late LOL.

Oh the joys of Climate Control.......wot it dont come as standard on a top of the range civic :eek:!!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

It is nice, i had the choice but the 172 won!!!! Who wants a Honda!!!! it may be slightley quicker and a bit more reliable, but its a Honda OLD MANS CAR, no CTR has got past me yet and i will give em a damn good go if they dare try :devilish:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

As stated in another thread, I had a little blast with a CTR last night. Basically there was nothing in it.. if anything I pulled about a car length or so closer, from about 20mph up to 80-90mph.

the CTR is a great car but just take a look at this... standard CTR (200+ bhp) and a 172 MKI almost standart (180 bhp) at Estoril...

http://www.sobrerodas.org/movieswww.sobrerodas.org/movies

not even in a striaght line with its spectacular 6 gears it caught the clio.

just an observation CTR 6th gear 7000rpm --> 240 km/h

clio 172 mkI 7000rpm 5th gear --> 250 km/h

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA we should get that posted on the Honda forum! :p

Lotus Elise S2 111S

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Yes the guy that posted it was asking for it, and yes this is a 172 forum, but some of you dont half talk some utter drivel.

Some of the ill informed comments are not worth listening to, and the fact you are all so adamant about the 172s capabilities is amusing.

If I want toys Ill buy I wanky Vectra. The CTR is a DRIVERS car hence the lack of gimmicky crap.
Its all extra weight which slows it down, even renault think this which is why talking about ditching 172 and adding ABS and aircon to Cup.

I wont get into I beat this and that like you lot seem to, I have wasted 172s, but its not always about the car, 40% of the reason is driver too.

When looking for a car, I tried the CTR, the 172, the Cooper-S, Cupra R, but as Cupra was too dull and 172 and the S have NO legroom and stupid steering wheels I went for the CTR. Widely regarded across the mags as the best alrounder.

Performance wise its close, the CTR is faster, but barely. The engine and gearbox and chassis, no arguments, are the best in its class.

And I l;augh my arse off at the fact all you can ever say is Bread van MPV etc etc Its pretty weak.
I think the clio is completely feminine, nad its very amusing to see a 6 bloke climbing out of one.

I await the replies!

Why choose 172??? Because you want one - you need no other reason or to have to explane it/Justify to any else! Its personal choice - Why I got a Williams and all my other cars - you like a CTR - so what! I like a Focus RS - others dont - so what!! Buy what you like . SIMPLE