ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why is the clio 172 slow

LOL.

The std book figures for the 0-60s on the VTS/106 were 8.6 to 60 BUT

after a few thousand miles when tested the were down to 7.7 which is about right. So you will see both figures and both are correct.

The saxo/106 overread famously on the speedo - my cousins VTS was apprently giving ridiculous low 0-60 times measured by him & his mate. I took my Standard Fiesta RST against him and it was just faster - it had the 134bhp on a RR 1 week later. That would give the VTS 0-60 of about 7.7 and 0-100 of about 20 secs, the same as the fezzie. Also his VTS reading up to 15mph more than my car at high speeds.

Proper timing gear is needed - im sure on the pug or saxo board you will find people with the correct figures for both.

Although craggies vids are great (takes me years to download) you cannot draw anything about the speed of a car as the driver is by far the most important thing. You cannot take into account if all people change gear at the correct time for the best power and who has the best reflexes.

I know a few cracking 1/4 mile VTS times ill see if i can find them.

CTR EK9 turbo

All the cars were talking about are really cool. All fast and nippy and good handlers etc. I agree with Nick totally.

Hi everyone. Had this argument many a time, dont know why though. Who cares what the stats say.

All i know is that every time ive raced the above mentioned cars (106 gti and VTS) ive slayed them in a big way and i mean Slayed with a capital S.

S L A Y E D - (so there!) hope thats clear enough.

Im sorry, they just couldnt keep up. The gap just got bigger and bigger while i was saying "BYEEEEEEEEE!!! see ya later!!!!" (I drive a rocket ship by the way)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Wow... this got a bit "wild" while I was away... :eek:

Some people need to chill out. ;)

Zafira and GSXR

I was racing a 106GTI the other day and at 125mph he passed me no problems. He also says he has seen 140mph on the clock aswell. Dont forget if a 106 speedo is out then a 172 will be out. At the end of the day no speedo is right.

Cant find the VTS times I was looking for - doh. I did find a thread where a owner of a VTS raced his mates 172 on a daily basis to work and basically the VTS was slightly slower but not much in it. There were certain times coming out of traffic in certain gears where the 172 was a fair bit faster. I was planning a VTS as they are cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap-ish to own, fast and handle well - but I should have the car i decided on instead soon. The image is the VTS/VTR big downfall and pedals are a pain.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CarlosTheJackel on 04 February 2003

The image is the VTS/VTR big downfall
One of the reasons I chose a 106 GTi at the time...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CarlosTheJackel on 04 February 2003

The image is the VTS/VTR big downfall
One of the reasons I chose a 106 GTi at the time...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

LOL

Nice one Simon! ;)

10 points for going to the effort of getting the pics...

Ok mate took me in a drive in his VTS last night (it has 16s but no other mods). We got to an indicated 130mph so as the speedos going to be out whats the reality speed? Plus we were on a slight decline with more weight so we would of been giving it a hand!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I can honestly say the 172 will do over 140MPH reaching nearer 150mph as tested on me nans privite runway with my GPS tracker, the Clio 172 speedo isnt out as much as you think.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

err dunno, just the standard rev limit for a 172.. 7250 or somthing like that.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

if it was 7250 and not 7000 as i first thought

Then 147.9mph is possible

ive just read this thread and what a beauty ...

someone asked for 1/4 mile times of all three cars (clio,106 & saxo) - I can provide a definitive answer.

my personal point of view is that the clio is faster, but not by much. my mate has a modified saxo (induction kit, superchip, soft compound tyres, lowered & stiffened suspension, sports exhaust & faster cams) and in the clio I still beat him but only just. The reason Im so certain is that we have raced him around Knockhill race track lap after lap and can reel him in on the straights & Ive drag raced him at Crail 1/4 mile drag strip.

So, Im certain the 172 would beat a std saxo more convincingly - and the 1/4 mile times show that to be true.

as the best saxo 1/4 mile time on the same day was 16.242 @ 87.2mph - by my mate in his modded saxo and the std saxos were 17.2 - 17.7.

In the clio I was doing 15.5 @ 91.3mph - although my best has been 15 dead (earlier in the year).

I raced my mates modded saxo serveral times and he was never in front of me - i was constantly pulling away.

But be warned: on the same day I raced a heavily modded 106 gti and he was doing 15.195 @ 91.8mph - i.e. he was just beating me (my excuse is that I was on the original tyres and over 7k on them, hence too much wheel spin).

so point your browser at http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/entrants.asphttp://www.crailraceway.co.uk/entrants.asp you can sort the columns on car type and look for 106, clio & saxo

have fun,

kenny

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 05 February 2003

Ok mate took me in a drive in his VTS last night (it has 16s but no other mods). We got to an indicated 130mph so as the speedos going to be out whats the reality speed? Plus we were on a slight decline with more weight so we would of been giving it a hand!
What was it revving at then???

Tom (if we ask nicely) should be able to do the calcs and tell us what a VTS "should" be revving at when doing 130mph. Then we can compare to what your mates car did.

My old 106 GTi used to do approx 6500rpm at approx 130mph (indicated) and heres the proof >>>

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Pug106GTi/Misc/speeding.jpg

(on a dis-used airfield)

If Tom would again like to do his sums (please) and tell us if a 106 GTi is geared to do 130mph at 6500rpm, or if not what it "should" be, then we will know how accurate my speedo was!

To my knowledge it was one of the more accurate speedos...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 05 February 2003

if it was 7250 and not 7000 as i first thought

Then 147.9mph is possible
I thought it was 7250 on the lower gears, but reduced to 7000rpm in 4th & 5th???

Also, a mk2 IS geared shorter than a mk1.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by cr172@18 on 05 February 2003

CRAGGY I WOULD LIKE 2 CHALLANGE U IN A 1/4 mile RACE
This should be fun! :D

Of course the 172 will win, but it would be interesting to see by how much.

This has already been done, as Teady (from here) raced a guy at Crail with a boggo VTS and it was very close...

Thats a point, some cars do max speed in fourth, not 5th as 5th is for overdrive. Would that complicate this maximum revs calculation? Also max power isnt produced at max revs so can someone explain the calculation??

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i dont have access to the gear ratio info on a vts

rich d those pics are not far out but still wrong

your car should have been doing 128.7mph at 6500 rpm

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 05 February 2003

rich d those pics are not far out but still wrong

your car should have been doing 128.7mph at 6500 rpm
How is that pic wrong???

Look at the speedo and look at the rev counter...

It is doing bang on 6500rpm (in 5th) and you said according to your calcs that it "should" be doing 128.7mph. Well, is it just me or is the speedo needle pointing at just under the 130 mark and so about 128/129mph and that makes it pretty much as accurate as you can get!!!

Prove from both a photo AND the maths to back it up!

err youre forgetting aerodynamics of a 3 door hatch doesnt match up with the maths. Anyway point is you said they will do 140mph!!

No ive looked very very carefully and its definately 129.23mph. Even the times wrong on the clock - 8:10 its clearly 5:17pm at the mo

320d M Sport

172 will do 140.

VTS + 106 will do 130, no doubt about it, sorry if anyone cries at this information.

Just everyone get their ass to York to settle this rollocks once and for all! Kin ell!!!!!!!:mad:

mk2 172

ill be at york everyone mate, so come to any and prepare to be taken out, quarter miling is an art, not just power, and my slick shifting and launching ability will shine through................i hope, iv scalped plenty of 172s at york, not in this car but its a habit iv got that i cant kick:D

Megane R26

Well, in me old 16V clio I got toasted by my mates Rover Vi (those K-series are wicked engines!) and a same mark clio 16V (which looked totally standard - mine had zorst + chip) an got toasted again (acclerated away from me at 100 like I was standing still!)....

Just to check it wasnt me being c**p, I swapped cars with my mate (Rover Vi) and beat him... b**locks!

Was time for a new car after that! LOL! :D

My point being (i think?) You never can tell!

320d M Sport

Craggy, i wanna race your williams....actually youre stripping it out arent you??? Hmmm........................

mk2 172

paddy, go to york and you can, i have timing slips consistent at 14.8 and 14.9, weather wasnt amazing but it was good enough for a good time. beat that consistently and wallah!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 05 February 2003

172 will do 140.

VTS + 106 will do 130, no doubt about it, sorry if anyone cries at this information.

Just everyone get their ass to York to settle this rollocks once and for all! Kin ell!!!!!!!:mad:
Wise words mate! :D

Shame I sold that 106 GTi in June last year though... :(

But I can bring either my 306 or R5 aling instead! ;)