ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why not to buy a powerflow exhaust

Sunflower Ph1 172
I didn't buy this, it came on the car. Want rid of it when I can afford something better. However it started blowing late last night, thought it just needed tightening up as it sounded like it was coming from the flange.

5 mins from home and *bang-scratch-grind*

With it being dark I thought the bolts had just come loose, appears the actul weld on the flange completely sh*t itself. Annoyed is not the word, now I have to either source a standard exhaust for next to nothing, or pay to have this piece of cr*p repaired.

dfeb6781.jpg

Terrible exhausts. Ive bought two cars with them, might aswell not bother with the silencers 'cus theyre so loud.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Terrible exhausts. Ive bought two cars with them, might aswell not bother with the silencers 'cus theyre so loud.

The annoying thing is that it's louder inside the car than outside. Can't justify the price of a yozza, so will have to get this sorted and put up with it for a few monhts.

ITB'd MK1
said it for years, they're made of the cheapest grade stainless they can get away with calling "stainless" and the welding is normally very questionable.

lifetime warranty only counts for the original owner

I have one on my 205 and I must say it is w**k, 1 box means its loud as f**k. As it gets warmer its gets a f**k load more louder :(

The welding is pure bird s**t but it does look strong.

Im disappointed that the warranty is only for the original owner. Especially with the nature of buying/selling modified cars.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Thats nothing to do with the exhausts, it's to do with what the buyer requests. Mine is hardly any louder than a standard exhaust...

It depends on the person building/fitting them.

My local powerflow place is 100% spot on.

+1
Got mine done at Powerflow Burnley (who have a good rep) and 4 years on it's been faultless:).

Thats nothing to do with the exhausts, it's to do with what the buyer requests. Mine is hardly any louder than a standard exhaust...

+1
Got mine done at Powerflow Burnley (who have a good rep) and 4 years on it's been faultless:).

Mate, ive had two myself and heard countless others with powerflow, they are generally loud as f**k! When i took mine to have another silencer welded in the guy could not believe it already had two silencers, said theres nothing else he could with it.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Mate, ive had two myself and heard countless others with powerflow, they are generally loud as f**k! When i took mine to have another silencer welded in the guy could not believe it already had two silencers, said theres nothing else he could with it.

They might well be generally loud as f**k but if you ask them to make you a quieter one then they will, simples...

You said you bought 2 cars already with them:S. Had you gone to them to make one from scratch then you could've requested it to be quieter...

No mate, i bought it with a powerflow on, it was waay too loud. Took it back to them and all they could do was fit a slightly larger back box, which would of made hardly any difference even the guy said that.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Probs doesnt help that your car is on its ARSE. Ha. You struggled getting on/off the rollers.

Sam!

Ok, let me break it down for you as your struggling to understand.

1, Bought a car already fitted with a powerflow cat back system, was rediculously loud.
2, Took car back to Powerflow, request they make it quieter.
3, Fitter puts car on ramp, shakes head. Fetches me from reception. Explains that he could squeeze a slightly larger back box in, wouldnt make much difference.

Just cus you have one doesnt make them good. The welds are generally s**t (my welding was ok TBF) Bends are shocking, as Danny said the stainless is crap and the silencers are s**t.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, let me break it down for you as your struggling to understand.

1, Bought a car already fitted with a powerflow cat back system, was rediculously loud.
2, Took car back to Powerflow, request they make it quieter.
3, Fitter puts car on ramp, shakes head. Fetches me from reception. Explains that he could squeeze a slightly larger back box in, wouldnt make much difference.

Just cus you have one doesnt make them good. The welds are generally s**t (my welding was ok TBF) Bends are shocking, as Danny said the stainless is crap and the silencers are s**t.

FFS:rolleyes:

Read what I put...
I said you got the car with it already on... Because of that it's unfair to say they are too loud just because they were unable to modify yours to be quieter.

I then said if you went to them for a brand new exhaust then you could ask to have it made quieter like I did and then they will.

As for mine been good, well imo it is... It's been on for nearly 4 years, is quiet/sounds nice to me and when I looked at it last week when I had it on a pit to do my oil shows no signs of any problems. Been the person who ordered it I have the lifetime warranty if it does go wrong.
As has been said a few times now the build quality seems to depend on who does it.

Powerflow are custom made by one franchised individual so going by your experience this can vary from person to person. I had one on an ST200 and it was excellent quality. No probs.

None
A lot of people don't realize that stainless steel welded too hot basically makes it not stainless steel any more so an amateur or inexperiences welder can think putting lots of weld onto a joint makes it stronger, wrong it just makes the bit of original pipe next to the weld a lot weaker and prone to rusting, golden rules when welding stainless steel pipe, purge it, weld it quick then leave it alone :)

Evo 5 RS
Powerflow are custom made by one franchised individual so going by your experience this can vary from person to person. I had one on an ST200 and it was excellent quality. No probs.

Was waiting for someone to point this out..

As above they are a FRANCHISE so you will get good ones and bad ones. I had a powerflow years ago and it was spot on. Others haven't been so lucky.

secret
I have a powerflow on mine, its brilliant and just how i want it. Quietish when just driving about and loud when you boot it, i know the bloke down here who does it and you cant beat his work. 90% of people i know go to him. Ive never had a problem with any powerflow ive had. But as stated its the person fitting and making the exhausts, half of them dont have a clue

secret
wouldnt happen to be phil at stafford would it dude??^^^

It sure is, hes all i use. Hes spot on with his work and i honestly cant fail him. Him and the mechanic there fitted my 182 manifold and re did all my pipework. Hes a top bloke, aparently he is the 2nd best fitter in the uk

Do you go to phil???

on my other 2 cars i did mate first a 182 cup had it 3 weeks and off come the exhaust.BUT i took it to another powerflow place first and they made a huge fook up.they managed to get silicone sealer to clog up the cat off it come and phil fitted a de cat.
then my 225 i had 3 systems done by him after mij drilled mine to the floor!!!!!