ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why would you buy a cup over a full fat 172?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol, when mine was standard it had the legs on two mk2 172's. With the power to weight ratio in the cups favour it does make a difference, trust me ;) As a general rule the cups do make better times up the 1/4mile

BMW M3
Wait a minute, are we just talking about std 172s here? They do have a pretty low bhp/tonne ratio compared to the rest.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yes, he is asking about a mk2 172 (ff as some people call it) or a 172 cup..... not 182 ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
not a scoob. Its on H&R coilovers, just wound them down so it sat nice, and didnt catch down a good b road beating ;)

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
89kgs in it between the ff and the Cup?

Is that right?

So basically i'm driving around with a 14stone fatty compared to the Cup.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yep, its like having some hairy assed builder sat next to you ;)

172 Cup
What swung it for me - the Cup looks better (paint & wheels), it's lower and stiffer, it's also faster. Plus I didn't like the idea of the touchy ABS system, didn't care about traction control and I don't care about half leather interior.

However, my Cup does have AC.. which I'm glad about.

Nice to see the same immature t***s cropping up in these threads.

Get a grip lol. I'd get a full fat 172 only because I like flame red and monaco blue. A few tweeks etc = a smart quickish car.

No one should buy a Renaultsport clio with serious dellusions of they are massively different in speed. Sure a cup will smoke a 172 on track but on the road not a massive amount.

Get what you want. Everyone else should enjoy what they got and stop bickering about it, waving there penises in the air.

M2 Competition
Lol, so long as everyone likes their own car, then thats the best car to own. No need to bicker about it guys.

Its more of a handling thing than speed thing tbh.

I find, without driver aids, you can have more fun in the cup (bit scary at times though) but sometimes wish i had all the toys of a 182.
Hence i think the cup is the better track, dry day b-road car, and the ff the better all rounder. But not much between them fella.

Pick the prettiest one, and you wont go far wrong, theyre all good cars :)

Better than yours. C*nt.
In my opinion (and this is mine, nobody elses) you buy a Cup because you can't afford the decent ones. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that it's a raw, faster, more exciting experience. I can have a raw, fast and exciting experience in mine - while I have my better lights to see where I'm going and my gorgeous seats which I could sleep in! And my driver aids for when I'm caught out...

In my opinion (and this is mine, nobody elses) you buy a Cup because you can't afford the decent ones. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that it's a raw, faster, more exciting experience. I can have a raw, fast and exciting experience in mine - while I have my better lights to see where I'm going and my gorgeous seats which I could sleep in! And my driver aids for when I'm caught out...

Lol that post is gonna be so flamed.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

lol
now how did i buy these.....
me being poor an all,

cup1206014.jpg

as nice as your gorgeous seats? ;)

Better than yours. C*nt.

Flame it all you like! (Not aimed at you!) It's purely down to my belief that until you get to 100-200kgs, the weight of your car makes no difference on the road when power output is the same. Add to that that for the 80-odd kilograms I've gained a fantastic set of seats - ok, it's only a Clio but they are better than my A4s and on a par with my old man's old Merc E-class - lights which are supposed to be a shedload better (I haven't seen the standard ones on a Clio, but have seen the difference on other motors) and all the driver aids I think 80kgs is fair game.

Plus, the Cups I see are all driven by students and people on 16 grand. :D

Better than yours. C*nt.
lol
me being poor an all,

cup1206014.jpg

Wow. Wonderful. I sat in a set and while they hugged you nicely, I did 500 miles today and got out this evening and went to the gym. I couldn't do that in my old Smart and they were good seats - and just sitting in the Recaros I knew they weren't going to be able to do it either.

So, summed up, you've got pretty seats but you can't drive it for the length of time I can in my 'normal' seats and the standard ones don't really let you slap around from side to side?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hmmmm so when a manufacturer in touring cars win a race, or become dominant, what happens? They get a weight ballast added to the car to even them up with the rest of the field, so weight has no meaning... even though all touring cars have the same hp?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol
me being poor an all,

cup1206014.jpg

Wow. Wonderful. I sat in a set and while they hugged you nicely, I did 500 miles today and got out this evening and went to the gym. I couldn't do that in my old Smart and they were good seats - and just sitting in the Recaros I knew they weren't going to be able to do it either.

So, summed up, you've got pretty seats but you can't drive it for the length of time I can in my 'normal' seats and the standard ones don't really let you slap around from side to side?

nice edit........... you seem to forget that your 'gorgeous' 182 seats are exactly the same seats as found in my 'cheapo' cup.... only difference is yours are covered in cheap flannel and plastic :clown:

Better than yours. C*nt.
nice edit........... you seem to forget that your 'gorgeous' 182 seats are exactly the same seats as found in my 'cheapo' cup.... only difference is yours are covered in cheap flannel and plastic :clown:

That'll be leather and alcantara? And yeah, except that makes it infinitely more comfortable.

And in response to your touring car post, ffs you idiot. Clios are road cars. Anyone that tries to argue otherwise need to look at the suspension design and have a good long think as to whether it's a very sporty hot hatch, or a lame supercar...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

the weight of your car makes no difference on the road when power output is the same.

i rest my case.... i was pointing out how silly your quote was ;)

and how does synthetic leather and alcantara make something more comfortable when the seats have the same padding and support?

M2 Competition
Mike, Jeez, why are you so angry?!

Live and let live fella!

Me and gaz love our cups, you love your 182, whats there to argue about? Surely everyone's happy... :)

Better than yours. C*nt.
the weight of your car makes no difference on the road when power output is the same.

and how does synthetic leather and alcantara make something more comfortable when the seats have the same padding and support?

ON THE ROAD you blind fuckwit. In a race, yes, there is a difference. Unless you're special, you do 90% of your driving minimum on a road. Therefore, no difference. You don't get to line up Santa Pod/2F2F style and drag race all the time, and if you do you prove my point that you're an idiot. So, for the 90% minimum that you're on the road, would you rather have a near unnoticeable weight difference, or cruise control, leather/alcantara seats and something to save you when you're caught off guard...

Next one, clever dick?

Better than yours. C*nt.

Live and let live fella!

Me and gaz love our cups, you love your 182, whats there to argue about? Surely everyone's happy... :)

Because he's making b****cks points.

If you prefer your Cup's driving experience then I can't argue with that. What I don't agree with is people trying to make out that the weight difference makes a difference on the road. It doesn't. End.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

ON THE ROAD you blind f**kwit. In a race, yes, there is a difference. Unless you're special, you do 90% of your driving minimum on a road. Therefore, no difference. You don't get to line up Santa Pod/2F2F style and drag race all the time, and if you do you prove my point that you're an idiot. So, for the 90% minimum that you're on the road, would you rather have a near unnoticeable weight difference, or cruise control, leather/alcantara seats and something to save you when you're caught off guard...

Next one, clever dick?

when you have a 14 stone bloke sat next to you on the way to the nearest dogging site.... you'd feel the difference ;)

M2 Competition
Lol, and as for the seats/ comfort argument, ive got fixed buckets, no interior or carpet, and a near unsilenced exhaust.

Should come for a ride in mine sometime mike, see how comfy that is... Hehe! ;)

Better than yours. C*nt.
when you have a 14 stone bloke sat next to you on the way to the nearest dogging site.... you'd feel the difference ;)

Don't go dogging - several reasons:

a) I have standards - my car is far too good for any girl I'll pick up in Derby.
b) I have a bed. That's what it's for.
c) I tend to be drunk when I'm looking for women. I tend to realise they're a waste of time when I'm sober!
d) They see it as a Clio. As much as it is, it's also not. It's not the same car as your mum does the shopping in. Much.

And as for the 14 stone bloke comment, I took my old man and dear to the stealers the other day and only noticed a minor handling difference in that there was more weight in the back. A 2litre engine that only has to haul a ton around has life easy if it only has to carry that extra weight once in a while.

Leon Cupra 300
haha i cant belive this mike bloke is for real! can i have some of what your on please?

The whole weight difference does make a difference, after driving a 182 and my cup i can honestly say the cup feels a bit keener!

HOWEVER

the reason for buying it wasnt because it IS faster, it really was how it looks! colour and wheels! aircon didnt matter to me as its more to go wrong and ive never had it so won't miss it, leather and alcantara is nice yes but makes no difference when your sat on it as you cant see it, and i admit it would be nice to have driver aids but again ive never had them so not fussed and i was more than willing to make that sacrifice for having the faster better looking car IMO!

And down to what you can afford, lol.. its what your prepared to spend and how much your prepared to loose and what else you have to spend your cash on! you TIT :D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Live and let live fella!

Because he's making b****cks points.

If you prefer your Cup's driving experience then I can't argue with that. What I don't agree with is people trying to make out that the weight difference makes a difference on the road. It doesn't. End.

You are so wrong.

You may drive along oblivious to what you can sense, but 89kgs less to me makes a huge difference, come road or track...and that's not me being a 172 Cup fanboy.

Also, your comment about "me" not being able to afford a FF172 is laughable at best :D

Impreza P1
At the end of the day fella test drive both it's your decision, as for comments mentioned about only students and people that earn under 16k drive Cups someone obviously has serious hang ups.

But then again im on Gt-gaz's side why cos he has a Cup lol.:rasp:

Oh the weight thing is true to a certain extent , If I raced my Cup against my R5 , there would be no contest the Cup would get raped. :(

Virtually same power output but the weight difference causes the Cup to watch the 5 sail past.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^ it cant as they are on the road...... thats different :rasp:

Status
Not open for further replies.