ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wick’s CS story so far (serious essay content, you have been warned!)

Hi All. After 2 months of 182 ownership, I thought it was only right to get a little media thread going (hopefully I don’t fail miserably at photo uploads. Technology and images are not my forte). The car is definitely not worthy of a project just yet so I’ll keep it in the media section for the time being.

A bit of background… I have always been massively into cars, but I’ll be the first one to hold my hands up and say my mechanical knowledge is somewhat lacking. I learnt to drive and passed my test a few months after turning 17, under the supervision of the parents and a hefty supply of “brave pills”. Couldn’t afford my own car but the parent had purchased a C2 with me in mind (ins group1 FTW!!):

m_CS1.jpg

I spent about 3 years plodding round in the C2 as I couldn’t physically afford anything of my own (not fronting the insurance at any point I’d like to add) Until, in my final year of Uni I inherited a Saxo, another 1.1 :dapprove: :

m_CS2.jpg

After Uni I managed to land a job and finally was no longer a skint student. No prizes for guessing what the first thing on the shopping list was… My craving for more performance was ridiculous after almost 5 years of 1.1’s! I’d basically narrowed it down to a Renaultsport Clio, an EP3 Type R or a BMW Z3 2.8. After months of sifting through PH’s, Autorader and lurking on here ;) I’d finally saved enough for a 172, at which point I took the tough decision to hold out for another month or so until I could afford 182 territory. I eventually settled on this:

m_CS3.jpg

m_CS4.jpg

BG, 76K, cup packs with the belts changed. Bit of an impulse purchase as I really fancied RB and the mileage was a tad higher than I wanted, but the car was tidy and I was in love after the test drive, so I parted with my hard earned.

As soon as I got it home I went over the history with a fine toothcomb, found the receipts for the belts but there was no mention of Aux belt change, only the cambelt (impulse buys FTL!). This was nagging at me so for peace of mind I had it booked into JMS for a once over and Aux belt service. One phone call later from Tom and the bad news was the PAS fluid that I’d noticed was low when I purchased the car, was in actual fact a knackered PAS pump that was p*ssing fluid everywhere. Came back to find the car looking rather sorry for itself and my wallet imminently getting lighter (after just 2 weeks):

m_CS5.jpg

On the bright side, labour costs were kept down whilst the pump was sourced overnight and the timing on the cambelt was spot on (thank god for that!!). Can’t thank Tom and James enough. JMS is a top setup and I’d highly recommend them to anyone on here. Talked me through everything in layman’s terms that I could follow and worked late to get the car finished.

So car was running well, I was enjoying it more by the day…time to spend some money:D. First up was Silvervisions all round and a skoda splitter. Then I made the mistake of getting stuck in to the detailing section on here. JD, Gally and Yellowbelly to name just a few have contributed huge amounts of knowledge and I was overwhelmed by the volume of info and products.

Decided to start with the basics (2 Buckets, wash mitt, a drying towel, Megs Gold Class, Megs Clay kit, AG polishing cloths, AG finishing cloth, AG SRP, AG EGP) and gave the car a good going over. Then I got it over to Essex last weekend for my first meet up (next pic courtesy of WwWMike, cheers buddy):

m_CS6.jpg

Finally this week I had a Thursday off and decided to give the car a good going over. Didn’t clay as it had been done the month before but went for alloys off and cleaned, full car wash and dry, followed by a layer of AG Ultra Deep Shine. Heard mixed things about UDS and any of the more experienced guys will say the all-in-one stuff is no where near as good as a 3 stage polish, protect and wax. However for a newbie the UDS seemed to do a good job. Filled the paintwork swirls nicely and allows water to bead and sheet really well. Here’s the results:

m_CS7.jpg

m_CS8.jpg

m_CS9.jpg

m_CS10.jpg

m_CS11.jpg

m_CS12.jpg

m_CS13.jpg

m_CS14.jpg

m_CS15.jpg

m_CS17.jpg

m_CS18.jpg

m_CS19.jpg

95% of the time I wish I’d held out for an RB, but when it’s cleaned up BG is actually a very satisfying choice. I still have much to learn detailing wise though :eek:!! Future plans are…

Short term:
Invest in a decent camera
Fit alcantara interior trim (Just ordered from Chris205, cheers mate)
Fit sportlines as I’m still rocking the tractor stance
Smaller front plate?
Brembo Disks and some new pads

Long term:
Potential remap, matched inlets and v6 box.
Exhaust of some sort (Yozza is epic but not sure if I can live with it day to day :S)
Hopefully some 172cup turinis
Colour code diamonds, bullets and maybe wheels (in a colour scheme I am yet to come across on CS).

Sorry for the absolute essay and combination of point and shoot/phone pics!! For those of you who made it to the end, thanks for your time. For those of you who didn’t, just humour me. Comments a criticisms welcomed, any questions fire away.

Cheers, Wick

Last edited by a moderator:
  e92 330i
Just looks so clean! I've just started getting into detailing myself, car stays clean for all of 2 minutes! Very tidy though mate, lovely example of a bg.

Disastra Coupe
Looks good that does. Black is an awesome colour when clean and swirl free. Can be annoying the rest of the time though!

Just looks so clean! I've just started getting into detailing myself, car stays clean for all of 2 minutes! Very tidy though mate, lovely example of a bg.

Know this feeling, black is the worst to keep clean. 6 hours work and 2 days later it looks like it needs it all done again!

Fantastic looking car, BG looks far greater tha RB when clean so good choice in my opinion! Good future ideas also, some say there 'sheep' mods but if it looks awesome who cares!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers Nick.

Baa-aa Baa-aa...that's me lol :) Took me about a week on here to understand why everyone does the same mods... Then I realised that if something looks good then why change it! Might mix it up with some different wheels if something takes my fancy in the classified, and if I ever get round to changing colour scheme it will hopefully make it stand out a bit.

Very nice indeed mate, if you decide you ever want to pop out for a few pictures, gimmie a shout :)

Definitely Rob. Be up for this whenever.

On a side note I'd really love some decent lowlight/night shots of it if your handy with a camera (I am not lol)!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Definitely Rob. Be up for this whenever.

On a side note I'd really love some decent lowlight/night shots of it if your handy with a camera (I am not lol)!!

Unfortunately, neither am I mate.

Only person I know who's half decent with a camera is TheEvilGiraffe and he moved to the other side of the water. FFS.

Mk5 golf gti
Black does look awesome when clean

i find im cleaning mine twice a week though :/

but its worth it :)

Unfortunately, neither am I mate.

Only person I know who's half decent with a camera is TheEvilGiraffe and he moved to the other side of the water. FFS.

Hmmm, between the two of us I'm sure we could bodge a few half decent snaps together... If not I'll ask one of my mates at Ravensbourne art college if he knows anyone local who'd be up for it

A little media upload from me.

Firstly, I now have a new (well 2nd hand but new to me) camera :) After TheEvilGiraffe suggested a Canon 450D I haven’t looked back and I am really pleased with it. The only downside is that my photography skills can’t remotely do the camera justice as of yet and I have a feeling that the world of SLR’s is going to be a very steep and slow learning curve…

Due to the camera purchase April was a budget month for the Clio…

I fitted all the alcantara trim purchased from chris205 last month

m_Car3.jpg

m_Car4.jpg

m_Car5.jpg

m_Car6.jpg

m_Car7.jpg

The main expense was new pair of Uniroyal Rainsport2’s. It was definitely time to ditch the miss match on the front axle (Firestone and Hankook both in 195 guise) for some nice new 205’s.

Ordered from Blackcircles for £69 each plus postage as Camskill had no stock. I was very happy to say the least when they arrive 2 days later and now I am just waiting for some rain!!

m_ArrivalofRainsports.jpg

(I know you should put the best tyres on the rear axle, but the Bridgestones on there still have 5mm or so of tread on, so I am hoping by the time they wear down they’ll need replacing all round next time).

Next up was the bullets and diamonds I got from GTI6Steve and Crippin photoshopped me purple trim (cheers guys):

photoshop.jpg

I realised that I probably should avoid a girls colour, so I settled on stealth black (Baaaa)… I had primer and lacquer in the garage so the only cost was only one rattle can.

Sanded right the way down to the plastic (this was an error, should have just keyed up the surface as it took bl**dy ages):

m_Diamond1.jpg

m_Diamond2.jpg

Set up a spray booth in the corner of my room, much to the dismay of the Mother who thought toxic inhalation would kill the family:

m_Diamond3.jpg

And set to work…

m_Diamond4.jpg

Then I did the same for the bullets, again sanding right back to the original primer/plasticy layer (another error, got so impatient I took a sharp chisel to it one point) before priming and spraying:

m_Bullet2.jpg

Colour of choice was Halfords Renault Pearlesent Black. I know that’s for PB 172’s but it was the closest colour match I could find to BG without paying for someone to mix me some up.

The Lacquered results…

m_Bullet3.jpg

m_Bullet4.jpg

Hardened for 48 hours in the airing cupboard and then attached to the car. Getting the old ones off was a right PITA. I snapped one of the clips on my silver ones before I realised how to pull them off, so had to get the Soldering Iron out and bodge a plastic weld together.

For anyone doing this pull them off from the front of the car. Of the 3 clips the front one is the hardest one to get off and if you pull it from the back it will be snap time :(

m_Car1.jpg

m_Car2.jpg

And here is how the car finally stands… It will get a good clean over the BH weekend and then some more goodies purchased for it in May.

m_Car8.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcomed as always. Cheers, Sam

Oh and I’ll be practising my photography as much as possible in the coming weeks… So if you see me snapping at any meets, say hi and give me some tips!!

Last edited:
  Audi TT 3.2
Looks very smart!

This coming from a former RB owner for 18months, BG is so much better!

Cheers Davis, if you read the whole lot you probably gathered I wanted racing blue from the off... Stunning colour in my opinion :cool:

As planned, I finally had a chance to clean it up this weekend. Here are the results... I still know nothing about photo editing so just winging it on what looks half decent. The colours still aren't how I want them but tinkering with photos of a black car is proving tricky at the mo. (Shadowness' white balance guide was spot on accept for the fact I shot all of these in jpg not RAW, so white balance was tinkered with on the camera)

m_RSedit4.jpg

m_RSedit2.jpg

m_RSedit1.jpg

m_Rsedit3.jpg

Cheers, Sam

Last edited:
Cheers for the positive comments. Conditions is pretty good for the mileage, but the front end has its fair share of stone chips!!

Very small update....

Just went outside to grab some snaps of my Grill. Sprayed satin black last week but only just had a chance to update here. You can see how bluey/grey it looked against the BG paint in the photos above:

m_IMG_4811.jpg

m_IMG_4812.jpg

m_IMG_4813.jpg

m_IMG_4815.jpg

Any questions fire away :)

Cheers, Sam

BG 182
very nice mate, would love to do the alacantra bits and spray my grill like yours, what things did you purchase to spray the grill?

very nice mate, would love to do the alacantra bits and spray my grill like yours, what things did you purchase to spray the grill?

All the interior goodies were originally done by Austin-182 on here.

As for the grill I was going to do a guide but in all honesty it was really simple, the only tricky bit was getting the grill on and off!! Regarding products, I prepped it with...wait for it.... A brillo pad! Sprayed with Hycote plastic primer and followed up with Hycote Satin Black spray. No need for lacquer as I wanted to retain the satin finish.

Dr Jekyll recommended the products and gave me a couple of these brillo/scotch pad things as they aren't overly abrasive, just enough to key the plastic. Then taped the bonnet catch sensor and the stickers I wanted to keep them free from paint. Washed again after keying up, then 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of satin. Job done :)

the grill looks good my man. top job there and it looks good with with the badge done too. much better than the blue/grey look before, eh?

Cheers mate! I'm starting to love this DIY spraying melarky and was just eyeing up some OZ wheels in the for sale section but apparently ET37 doesn't work so well on a 182 :(

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
i thought the turinis was et37?

edit: 172 cup turinis are et37.5 (standard colour silver). The turinis fitted to trophies (anthracite) are et45.

Last edited:
38.5 I think for the cup ones. And 45 for the trophy.... Again unsure on that though.

Apparently with et37 you see srubbing on the bumper bracket inside the arch. I will probably hold out now for Turini's or F1's. I do quite fancy a refurb project though if I can find a good price, then go to town with the rattle cans!

Sheepish Anthracite is currently winning over stealthy black (need something to break it up now)... Although I'm not adverse to something a bit different (Maybe matte Blue OZ F1's :S)

... Not sure how it wold look against BG though

htup_1009_01_z+2004_honda_s2000+passenger_side_front_view.jpg

or...

url

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
i like the colour, i think it would look good. i know its not the same but the jms r/car looks good with blue rims. would have to do a few other bit blue to pull it off i reckon though. badges, wing mirrors etc.

love them oz's.