ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams mechanical gremlins

Hello all

Im just starting to get some of the inevitable problems on my Williams that I experienced during my Valver ownership, e.g. needs a new dog-bone engine mount and N/S/F wheel bearing. The car has 57k on the clock and Id love some advice on:

1. Recently my brakes have been sounding as if theyve got grit stuck in them or the pads have worn down (which they havent). Last time, a similar noise turned out to be seized rear brake callipers and cost me loads of dosh! Any other possibilities?

2. When I reach about 30mph, I get a noise from the near-side of the engine bay that can only be described as the noise a friction car toy makes (you know the ones when you move them back and forward, then let them go!). The noise doesnt go when I dip the clutch, but will go if I use a little throttle. What could this be? Differentials? Engine mount? Exhaust? :confused:

Cheers for any help :D

uv probably got a bit of grit or small stone trapped inbetween the disc and pad surface, or the pads have worn down, or one of the rear pads have fallen out(this is a common prob!!).

as for the toy car noise, sounds like a wheel bearing to me

jimbo

Cheers for that Jimbo.

The N/S/F wheel bearing is on its way out (although Im very sensitive to these things, so its not bad yet), but the car toy noise doesnt go away when I steer away from the near-side and when the bearing noise goes. Its always there from about 30mph+ whatever I do!

Does the grity sound go away.. ive noticed recently with the weather my disks have been rusting up realy quickly!! And also it doenst take much for the calipers to sieze up when its this cold and damp.. esp the rears :cry:

Could the other noise possibly be a bearing on one of the belts/pullys :confused:

The gritty brake noise is mainly audible in the last few seconds of braking at slow speeds. I cant really tell if the brakes are any worse than normal.

Has it had the cambelt done Ben?

My cambelt is well over due (almost 4k ago) and it started to make a horrible noise cant really explain it but it was coming from the NSF and have been told that it sounds like it could be idler pulley or cambelt tensioner!

Only a suggestion what with 57k on the clock!

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 03 January 2004

The gritty brake noise is mainly audible in the last few seconds of braking at slow speeds. I cant really tell if the brakes are any worse than normal.
Could this just be some crap on the disk/pads then.. go give the brakes a good going over and see if it gets any better;)

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 03 January 2004

Has it had the cambelt done Ben?

My cambelt is well over due (almost 4k ago) and it started to make a horrible noise cant really explain it but it was coming from the NSF and have been told that it sounds like it could be idler pulley or cambelt tensioner!

Only a suggestion what with 57k on the clock!

noise from the n/s/f bein a cambelt tensioner

funny ........mines on the o/s

lol

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 03 January 2004

Does the grity sound go away.. ive noticed recently with the weather my disks have been rusting up realy quickly!!
I get the same... then it goes. It brakes so sharp too when its making the noise.. heh.