ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams Vs Redtop corsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Vectra :(
80bhp from cams? April fool come early? I would love to see where these cams can be bought and how much. It wont matter what powerband the cams are at they wont make 80bhp on there own. Even the wildest of cams wouldnt be making 80bhp and you couldnt run them on there own without other engine work (solid lifters etc)

IIRC the most you will get on hydrolic lifters is about 15bhp from cams alone. Will checkon the piper website as they have downloadable pdfs. Even going for a full race cam 80bhp will be a bit big i think and would need lots of work to make them run and wont be any use on a road car.

From the vids i have seen i would say Willy but also agree with whoever said about traction. The redtop conversions struggle with it. Seen a few quicker ones running after market TC systems

Last edited:
pdf attached

I am just bored tonight with nothing better to do...

Attachments

• vauxhall_5_cam.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 67

Foz

slammed clio mk1
Me and Ingram been askin a mate about the 80bhp increase n here's the proof http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Main.htm

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Lam7r said:
80bhp from cams? April fool come early? I would love to see where these cams can be bought and how much. It wont matter what powerband the cams are at they wont make 80bhp on there own. Even the wildest of cams wouldnt be making 80bhp and you couldnt run them on there own without other engine work (solid lifters etc)

IIRC the most you will get on hydrolic lifters is about 15bhp from cams alone. Will checkon the piper website as they have downloadable pdfs. Even going for a full race cam 80bhp will be a bit big i think and would need lots of work to make them run and wont be any use on a road car.

From the vids i have seen i would say Willy but also agree with whoever said about traction. The redtop conversions struggle with it. Seen a few quicker ones running after market TC systems
Here you go 70 - 80bhp gain http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Main.htm
those cams would fit in a 2.0 16v redtop n get you 70 to 80 bhp,nobody said how long they would last,and as you all could guess,not very long,but would get u a run down the quarter if you were competitive enough to achieve the best time,;)

"SBD1195 & SBD304 are combined to give the large increase in power suitable for full Race engines or Top Spec Sprint Cars or State of the art Rally Cars. + 70 - 80 BHP* over standard cams. Power band 4500 -9000 RPM"

Would cost you a small fortune ontop of the cams to make them run. I thought you said you could get 80bhp from cams alone, not spending 1000's on a full race engine. Put those cams in a standard car and it wouldnt even turn over without blowing an engine if they worked at all. Wouldnt even get you over the start line let alone up the strip. Obviously IMO ;)

Foz

slammed clio mk1
Yeah but you still gorra admit its pretty impressive for cams alone, never heard of that sort of increase before my mate mentioned it.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Willy would have it imo... I beat my mates redtop in my 182 pretty comfortably, so i would of thought the willy would do similar...

Tyson.

Clio 172 mk2
Williams better in every respect...even if the Corsa had 1000bhp.

At the end of the day it's still a Corsa!

The willy would eat the corsa alive. I remember doing a red top corsa conversion and afterwards wondering why the customer bothered! Didnt feel quick at all. Piece of s**t

al

ST on the way...
Ingram said:
both standard engines?shud bothe be 150bhp what do you lot think would be the fastest?

The Williams was designed to have a 2.0 engine........a corsa wasn't.

Snotter's
as a car the williams is better in every way however the redtop is the stronger engine with much more potential.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
^^ what he said. on track the clio would destroy it. in fact on anything with a corner. they are quick in a straight line though.

i've got a vid of me racing a C20LET (320+hp) corsa when i had the banana.

its far to hot to handle for cliosport tho!

yes engine conversion, red top NA is the C20XE, the red top turbo is the C20LET.

The C20XE on the early engines was coscast and pumps out 156bhp as standard, the later heads were cast by vauxhall, porous is the term used but its wrong as the head actually cracks, the fix for it is to sleeze an oilway which covers the crack.

The later 20XE ecotech engine only produced 136bhp. Has a better narrower included angle and is better for mega power if you have the cash. Has girdle bottom end etc.

teh early lump is better for road car cheapness.

Cav's asrtras, calibras donate as someone said earlier.

Just checked. Yeh they might give an 80bhp gain, but the power band is from 4500rpm-9000rpm, which means you need to go for an all steel bottom end at least to get it to rev that high.

We've just put a C16XE in my mates peugeot 205 1.1 shell. Just in the process of fitting GTI suspension and brakes, cams and throttle bodies. Should be quick.

Matt

Corsa 2.0 - when it works
Afternoon boys, been sent this, thought i'd reply as i own a 2.0 Corsa.

Righty...
20XE was the first redtop, came without cat, 155bhp - 147lb ft
C20XE came next, same engine but with cat, 150bhp - 145lb ft
Early engines came with Coscast heads, but BOTH heads go porous, but not all.. Usually happened on GM head, but did happen on Coscast also.

2.0 in a Corsa, most 2.0 are old and knackard and really makes a difference. Get hold of a fresh engine and running up to 16" wheels and a normal car (not outside tat) your looking at a 14.5-15.0 1/4 mile..

A Corsa 2.0 is about on par with a 172 Clio. How this goes against a Clio Williams im unsure.. But, a corsa on 15-16" alloys should hit 60mph in around 6.5-7.5 seconds depending on the driver.

As for 80bhp through cams, read that tech spec, WITH the other parts (i.e throttle bodies). Even with high lift cams, your looking at around 15bhp on their own... But that kind of duration on a standard engine, well up to you... Their not cheap though, to get a basic tp196 kit, including getting hold of other items to complete the conversion, your looking at the best part of £3k to do it properly. Although you can pickup 2nd hand TB and some new bits and do it for sometimes under £1k (TB are the expensive parts).

Running up to around 230ish bhp is good for road use, if you go much more, the rebuilds need to be done more and more often. I think V-max on TB on this engine is just over 300bhp.. Considering its a 20 year old design, not too shabby...

As for handling, don't be put off, get a diff and a good suspension kit, and it really does handle quite well, just a bit tail slippy. IMO it wouldn't stand a chance against a Williams on a track, but when setup, it really wouldn't be far off, but will always be behined.

AS for the comments, i"ts just a Corsa", well, tbh, thats brand snobbery, and coming from a very similar type small car owners, i find that rather amusing... Guess the Corsa hasn't got a reputation in rallying at all? (many times a class winner in the 1400cc and super 1600cc class). Also, a Clio isn't exactly the best built car, but i cannot disagree that they fly round corners, the 172 and 182 proves this. I've always known the williams to be a belter round the bends too, but brand snobbery, come on guys, anything french highly lacks in the interior quality department.... So those comments are quite amusing.. Guys, you own a clio, you cannot put down a corsa....

Any questions on 2.0 Corsas, give me a shout, but getting a 150bhp nippy small car for around £1k (conversion costs), I don't think is too bad...

car? need a license 1st!
French cars are comfortable .. better than any vauxhall tat :p

I've had both clios and corsas, and although they're both fun to drive, i prefer the clio.

Corsas are associated with the wrong type of driver (same as nova's).. I'm not saying everyone who drives a corsa is a chav or whatever, it's just how corsa's have become.

If u don't like it... buy a clio

Chewy said:
French cars are comfortable .. better than any vauxhall tat :p

The clio has one of the worse seating positions i have ever had the pleasure of sitting in. I dont have my clio anymore but one of the reasons i sold it for the gti i now have apart from saving some cash is i didnt like the seating position and could never get used to it.

I also have a 52 plate Vectra and a 53 Plate Corsa and both of which i would rate higher than the clio for seating in comfort. I do 30k a year in the vectra and its fine for comfort.

Both have less rattles between them than i did in my clio and in my pug now. The french can build an awesome hot hatch however attention to detail and comfort have never been a strong point imo

car? need a license 1st!
well to be fair, u must sit weird, cos i've never had a problem with clio comfort. either in mk1s or 172s .. I find them both really comfortable and can do lots of miles without a problem.

Snotter's
172'S are well known for there poor driving position.Bottom line is they are both small cheap cars,its a clio forum so most people will sway towards the clio !!

Corsa 2.0 - when it works
Not sat in a Clio in ageeeees, last was when the 172 was new out... It was comfy, but quite hard IMO. Early Corsa B's suffered the same issue. Newer models were a lot more comfy (Corsa B).

As for VX tat, no offence dude, but coming from a Reanult owner, thats laughable... If you think otherwise, you need to take a ride in some decent cars (above VX and anything from the land of frog).

Jay, read my above, yes they do, just not as good as a williams.....

As for the "you must sit weird" yes, anyone who doesn't agree sits weird..... LMFAO...... Errrrr hokayyyyy....

car? need a license 1st!
Corsa 2.0 said:
Not sat in a Clio in ageeeees, last was when the 172 was new out... It was comfy, but quite hard IMO. Early Corsa B's suffered the same issue. Newer models were a lot more comfy (Corsa B).

As for VX tat, no offence dude, but coming from a Reanult owner, thats laughable... If you think otherwise, you need to take a ride in some decent cars (above VX and anything from the land of frog).

Jay, read my above, yes they do, just not as good as a williams.....

As for the "you must sit weird" yes, anyone who doesn't agree sits weird..... LMFAO...... Errrrr hokayyyyy....

VX are tat.. i mean look at the astra VXR? great 250 bhp.. 2WD.. can't handle it.

as for riding in decent cars.. hows a Focus ST grab yer? my dad has one, and i've driven it quite a bit, fantastic car.

and seeing as u don't agree with me, your comment suggests that ur the one that sits weird.

Now excuse me while i go spit on a vauxhall.

VaVa
Lam7r said:
The clio has one of the worse seating positions i have ever had the pleasure of sitting in. I dont have my clio anymore but one of the reasons i sold it for the gti i now have apart from saving some cash is i didnt like the seating position and could never get used to it.

I also have a 52 plate Vectra and a 53 Plate Corsa and both of which i would rate higher than the clio for seating in comfort. I do 30k a year in the vectra and its fine for comfort.

Both have less rattles between them than i did in my clio and in my pug now. The french can build an awesome hot hatch however attention to detail and comfort have never been a strong point imo

You sold a Clio for a 106 because of the seating position? LMAO!! The 106 seat/pedal/wheel configuartion is worse than any car I've ever been in.

Clio RSi
Posted this link on corsasport in the interests of fairness..

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=304006&page=1

Own an RSi now, have had one before and been in a few 16v's just not the Williams

Also owned two corsas and been in both a GSi and 2.0 Corsa.

Think both cars are good for what they are both have their pro's and con's.

Going by the RSi and 16v I'd have the Williams just because both these cars handle brilliantly and would hope the Willy would resemble that.

The corsa is more comfortable and looks better imo however you do have to get the corsa set up, its not a case of just putting an engine in, for starters brakes and suspension are a must. The c20xe is quick though and pulls strong and then they are easier to tune, shame you've had to spend extra money setting the rest of the car up tho.

I just wouldnt want a car that goes fast in a straight line, you dont get many mile upon mile straight roads around here and I'd want the whole package..

Clio 172 mk2
Chewy said:
VX are tat.. i mean look at the astra VXR? great 250 bhp.. 2WD.. can't handle it.

as for riding in decent cars.. hows a Focus ST grab yer? my dad has one, and i've driven it quite a bit, fantastic car.

and seeing as u don't agree with me, your comment suggests that ur the one that sits weird.

Now excuse me while i go spit on a vauxhall.

Have to agree

Now I'm not keen on the ST but Vauxhalls latest offerings are very poor

car? need a license 1st!
glad to see someone does :)

The ST didn't impress me at first, but my dad got the orange one.. and I tell u seeing it in the flesh/metal .. it's awsome to look at, has an immense amount of presence.

Then driving it.. wow.. i have to say, it's just as nimble as the clio 172/182, if anyone saw the top gear where they tested it, it was lifting the back wheel.. IN THE WET!

focus STs are awsome cars. But i still love clios :p

Laingo said:
You sold a Clio for a 106 because of the seating position? LMAO!! The 106 seat/pedal/wheel configuartion is worse than any car I've ever been in.

I dont believe either the post i posted in this thread or in the numerious other threads about my move to a 106 mentioned the fact it was solely for the seating position. My actual comment was that the seating position was bad and therfore i didnt like it. This i think is a very good reason to not keep a car after all sitting in it and being comfy is a must as occasionally i had to use it to commute to work which at times can be a 500mile round trip. However the main reason i sold up was financial like stated. The pedal position in the 106 is awful thats true but you get used to it unlike getting used to sitting uncomfortable. Seats in 106 are spot on i think. Saying that i have never done a long trip in the 106 as its a weekend car now.

The clios seating position is VERY widely critised (sp) so not just me sitting wierd i doubt.

megane coupe F7R
How can anyone say a corsa is more comfortable? Phase 2 valver and willy seats are the best seats ive ever sat in :)

535d / t5 caravelle
Adams_16v said:
^^ what he said. on track the clio would destroy it. in fact on anything with a corner. they are quick in a straight line though.

i've got a vid of me racing a C20LET (320+hp) corsa when i had the banana.

its far to hot to handle for cliosport tho!

POST THE VID ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.