ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

“Charlotte” The 182 FF

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
It’s definitely new and I have the receipts showing how much it cost, daft thing is a new stainless system wasn’t much more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm..that's really cool. I was going to buy a new genuine system for mine - around £800 at the time - but heard how rusty they get in such a short space of time. Plumbed for a PMS system instead.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm..that's really cool. I was going to buy a new genuine system for mine - around £800 at the time - but heard how rusty they get in such a short space of time. Plumbed for a PMS system instead.

Yeah, it’s not great. I think what I’ll do is replace this one with a stainless, clean this up and treat it, then wrap it up and shove it in my loft so I’ve got it if i ever sell the car.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to report although I really need to sort the rattles in the cabin, they are getting to be pretty irritating. I think Sound deadening may be the next thing I put money into, should also help with the general noise. That aside I've really been enjoying driving it about.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
The steering wheel from @hopgop1 arrived today thanks again! , its it actually in really good condition vs the one in my car, so Im going to clean it up and put it in for now. I'll keep the other one as a spare for when I send this one to eventually be recovered.

Last edited:

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
94c11a507eafb9352256ca3b6fac6b90.jpg

cef077af164925160dc8915a67af0672.jpg

1ad53ce728ef35aac3738c4109354ab6.jpg

b2cbf9a7516eee4e9990b5d2c476c933.jpg

b574b815f41bb5f9a3408a3fd580c679.jpg

411808c2ad4614252aa85f8f08aa9546.jpg

0ef12e1d655144f00c7eb986cf7a2095.jpg

c4a5c55848fc13250d28f5d5b501ce7d.jpg
Despite some trepidation around the airbag the job was really easy. All back together and an added bonus of cleaning the crap from behind the wheel!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Also have the rubber seals a bit of treatment, not sure they’ve ever seen any before, looks a lot better but will take a few more applications before it’s as good as I’d like.

f91b214137c1f17499b7e00e2d665ac4.jpg

Also making a decent start on the seat belts, the drivers side is so grim that it isn’t as flexible as It once was and as such doesn’t retract properly, it’s better now but again not where I’d like, I’ll get an after photo tomorrow.

ccce6b66e457b5a701ba0ba3e7861690.jpg

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I have, I’ve then waxed over them, as but I a say or two they have spots of corrosion on them. It’s really frustrating [emoji1787]

Yeah I did see you say corrosion just didn't know if you gave it a try. I use wire wool with it. But not to worry if you've already tried.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So a few odds and sods turned up, just waiting on one more part before I stop buying bits until the cam belt is done..

Gas struts, cabin filter, door release handles, battery terminal positive with cover and new gear gaiter as mines broken and glued in.

Just waiting on a new gear knob, the rest will be an investment of time getting it tidied up.

4ddb8c61bbcb7eef07125cc22015ed64.jpg

5794640d544f665edf035ee93279cbc4.jpg

Speaking of the timing belt, confidence in it hein done recently has evaporated, I know cabin filters are often overlooked but really..

18071ad5979cf92a3f0dce5e3271781e.jpg

16142a7266194218973e05d002645b2a.jpg

f5d9820fe1e249604f2e8c3073f713ae.jpg

a2b159bd6b376ab7e0befe1c2af12487.jpg

f86ff4f886924b1b453870c5b73d9146.jpg

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So a few odds and sods turned up, just waiting on one more part before I stop buying bits until the cam belt is done..

Gas struts, cabin filter, door release handles, battery terminal positive with cover and new gear gaiter as mines broken and glued in.

Just waiting on a new gear knob, the rest will be an investment of time getting it tidied up.

View attachment 1577459
View attachment 1577460

Speaking of the timing belt, confidence in it hein done recently has evaporated, I know cabin filters are often overlooked but really..

View attachment 1577461
View attachment 1577462
View attachment 1577463
View attachment 1577464
View attachment 1577465

Gas struts for the boot, where were that obtained from please?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of super minor jobs this morning although one had dangerous consequences as it turned out.

The gas struts have been done, I’m not really that happy with them as they’re a lot bigger than the old ones and are really close to the bodywork, but not much to show on that.

The battery terminal cover is a different thing, it
Had been put on 90degs out and was really close to the metal cover behind the battery, it had been solved previously with insulation tape which isn’t ideal.

3f7896de2da3ccf6a54ebd8f71b6b640.jpg

So another simple job done but quite satisfying.
37b6906112d4c64e65d658944c89d9b7.jpg

There’s now a big gap between the terminals and the risk of it shorting out so it shouldn’t burn to the ground… well not from this anyway.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Probably should have just done a single update… didn’t think I’d do anything else today though.

Again small stuff really.

New gear gaiter fitted… badly so I’ll need to do it again, a learning experience. Just half they’re zip tied on.

92737d21fb263d4356aadb3272a4a6b2.jpg

db1395f55f8e829645dccab02088d1a1.jpg

d5cc7afea19b702520d06ca341a97c25.jpg

3a5400a5f696b00b2d726c6a7412bf78.jpg

still it looks tidier.

Also, whiles messing about with my AC servo motor things I found the a rattle… just been forced in and the lug was bent, you couldn’t really tell but now it looks bette, again satisfying little jobs.

53f7db2c8dad997d9ba6c6251415ba95.jpg

Just need the gear knob then I’ll be happy with the overall look of the cabin, just need to sort out cleaning it properly. The weathers looking okay next week so might take a day off and get the seats and carpets out and give them the pressure washer treatment and a good wet vac, the the carpets, not the seats, they’ll just get the wet vac.

Plugging away.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Some further small updates, firstly an admission… I’m an idiot. I over filled the oil as the “oil ok” message disappeared, only for me to stumble across the fact it’s not there if you have cruise turned on, luckily not by much and I also have a pump where you can extract oil via the dip stick hole, so a bullet dodged as I didn’t go anywhere in it before realising. So now we’ve had confession.

My new knob turned up, easy enough to fit and I like the look of it but hate the feel of it, don’t know why but it just doesn’t feel nice so I can’t see it staying long.

90fdaedd5b51bfa0c119068ae2d3263f.jpg

3b406a0a4c0726c125a351a3f68cd29c.jpg

7fdb9528393bb0d6c5f87a645fdc4d34.jpg

I’ve got another on mind but it’s not quite the same as a standard one, but I think it’ll be much nicer to the touch.

I’ve also managed to sell a set of wheels I have for the Leon, so I’ve freed up some cash. Not that I’m about to spend it with a £300-£400 bill for fitting the belts coming up.

However I’m hoping to have some time on Monday to get the interior out for a good clean.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Couple more minor updates.

I’ve replaced the cabin temperature sensor on the hope it fixed my cabin temperature issues, I’m not convinced it will but I’m just eliminating things as I go. I’m now wondering if the control unit itself if faulty as you put it on auto and it literally does nothing, the fan speed doesn’t change at all regardless of the temperature in the car so I’ve got some more investigation work to do there.

ad72ccb4a5ed71b4700e0da81fbc8517.jpg

I’ve also did a test patch on the carpet as I wanted to see if it could be cleaned and it wasn’t just faded… it’s going to take some work!

Before

0690a1d0711b6f4c8a34360fb4d27595.jpg

Test spot after, this was a really quick scrub and wet vac, when I mean quick I mean 5mins or so.
37e1b96eedd870db4540723fa5d24b7a.jpg

I’m pretty sure it’ll come back to a reasonable standard, just going to take about 7 years… lol

I’ve also fixed the cigarette lighter light, the Earth had been cut to so fixed that and replaced the bulb and it’s back! Wish the heating issue was this easy!!

ac454076d092fe3e1d0893d7dc56d40c.jpg

Reactions: Gus

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
What’s the full symptoms of your climate control issues? Common issues are the resistor pack (under the scuttle panel) or the little cog that you can see in the drivers footwell near the centre console, which splits. It can be fixed with some cable tie/jubilee clips.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
What’s the full symptoms of your climate control issues? Common issues are the resistor pack (under the scuttle panel) or the little cog that you can see in the drivers footwell near the centre console, which splits. It can be fixed with some cable tie/jubilee clips.

Basically I can get both hot and cold air on manual and the motors both work, the little cog thing was okay in mine as that's the first place I went to, I also threw a zip tie around the cog since I was under there.

When you press auto nothing ever changes, you can up the temp and the fan speed and temp just remain static the same when you drop it. I feel like if the cars cold inside and you set it to "Maxi" the fan speed would go up and the same if you dropped it. Its all with AC set to "off" as I know there is no gas in the system (that's on the list for resolving), to me it seems like its just not really picking up a temperature to decide what to do?!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So, are you only trying Auto when the car is cold? Or have you run it in auto until the car is warm. The system has an in built ‘step up’ as the car warms. So if it’s stone cold in auto mode the fan level will be very low. As the engine warms it will step up the power. If you are pushing auto and the car is up to temperature. Then there is a problem I guess. Temp sensor would be a great start. If the fans are working in manual mode it’s unlikely to be the resistor pack and as you say you have checked the cog.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So, are you only trying Auto when the car is cold? Or have you run it in auto until the car is warm. The system has an in built ‘step up’ as the car warms. So if it’s stone cold in auto mode the fan level will be very low. As the engine warms it will step up the power. If you are pushing auto and the car is up to temperature. Then there is a problem I guess. Temp sensor would be a great start. If the fans are working in manual mode it’s unlikely to be the resistor pack and as you say you have checked the cog.

Okay, thanks thats useful to Re the way the system steps up but makes sense. I replaced the internal temp sensor but just started the car and it didn't do anything but that makes sense now.... an excuse for a drive out!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So I have just tested the "sensor" using a multi meter and it appears to operate as expected. The resistance varies depending on the temperature and is deceptively sensitive with me just needing to blow on it to make it change. Next up will be to see if I can identify the other end of the wires for the senor and check they are okay and there are no breaks in them. While a bit annoying I quite enjoy this fault finding forces me to think about things!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Just found this useful link as well...

So I now know what I am looking for and where it goes into the unit.... a job for another day.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Because I really want cracked and bloody finger tips I got on with the wonderful task of removing the rubberised coating on the dash.

Before
8e5335870d57ce7639f7dafb9e0c2aa8.jpg

4f813c755c52999df7b3a01c03a617ee.jpg

79736d9b436994399953d711616de850.jpg

1839c3d8cdcbedd37b5194dd7c29764a.jpg

bfd36d040949a96ad05f94f33922360d.jpg

8bb973401122a9d2da5811deecbc175e.jpg

a5179709b78c726df633e40b700a578d.jpg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I have been giving it some thought and as much as i'd like to drop money on nice things that can been seen @Jon Wright was correct in so much as its best to start from the bottom up, the car makes some knocking noises so my next steps are,

- Subframe - get blasted and powder coated
- Genuine Cup Shocks
- Top Mounts
- Bushes
- CV Joints
- Intermediate Bearing
- Track Rod ends
- Bottom Ball Joints

My intention is it also get the hub carriers and other parts blasted and coated as well and i'll probably replace the wheel bearings for good measure, then I'll move onto the rear end and basically do the same, then I can be happy that with the engine belts done and the suspension and steering done I have a solid car.

I intend to refurb the CV joints rather than replace the whole shaft with a replacement... but how on earth do you know what CV joint you need!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I have been giving it some thought and as much as i'd like to drop money on nice things that can been seen @Jon Wright was correct in so much as its best to start from the bottom up, the car makes some knocking noises so my next steps are,

- Genuine Cup Shocks
- Top Mounts
- Bushes
- CV Joints
- Intermediate Bearing
- Track Rod ends
- Bottom Ball Joints

My intention is it also get the hub carriers and other parts blasted and coated as well and i'll probably replace the wheel bearings for good measure, then I'll move onto the rear end and basically do the same, then I can be happy that with the engine belts done and the suspension and steering done I have a solid car.

I intend to refurb the CV joints rather than replace the whole shaft with a replacement... but how on earth do you know what CV joint you need!
Go on blame me :ROFLMAO:

TBH the RB drove horribly. The previous owner mentioned it was on Eibach Pro-line springs but i've had those before and they never felt like this.

Another owner mentioned that if i replaced all the rubber bushes to genuine then run them on new CUP dampers they'd be fine and they are. The car drives amazing now. I even prefer the Eibach to the Cup springs.

To be fair i only replaced the things which were either falling to bits, like the shafts (only £200 for Shaftec versions) or the parts which were aftermarket like the wishbones. Everything else was just parts refurbishment or correcting any bodging. Sadly in my case that was a lot.

At the time when i was up to my neck in crap i did think i'd gone a bit too far, but i'm so glad i did it now.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

- Genuine Cup Shocks
- Top Mounts
- Bushes
- CV Joints
- Intermediate Bearing
- Track Rod ends
- Bottom Ball Joints

I'd do the steering rack bushes as well if i was you. I pretty much replaced everything on my BG, like my RB, except the rack bushes. It eliminated the knocking but every now and then i'd get some clicking when turning out or into the drive. Went back and did the rack bushes and it's noise free.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I'd do the steering rack bushes as well if i was you. I pretty much replaced everything on my BG, like my RB, except the rack bushes. It eliminated the knocking but every now and then i'd get some clicking when turning out or into the drive. Went back and did the rack bushes and it's noise free.
Well… now I’m definitely blaming you… lol.
I’ll assess it when I get a chance to get under it, I just feel like some of it I might as well do now if it’s apart, but if the shocks are okay I may just replace the top mounts and etc. But there’s a definite knock at times which I’m sure is cv joints. So they’ll defo be getting done.