ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

“Charlotte” The 182 FF

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
So ideally you want the mating surfaces to be metal on metal the way they did it the stub axle will be painted side to metal.
Oh, I don't know. It'll save you buying spacers.

Clio-2.0Clio-2.0-45.jpg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So the old girl has an oil leak, its nothing major and to be fair has been there a little while, although recently is has become a little worse. When the belts were done we couldn't work out if it was the main seal or the sump gasket and I was worried it was the new main seal but I am pretty confident it is the sump gasket now as I cleaned all the oil off and there is a dribble down the side of the pan but its not above it.

Given I am hoping to swap the subframe for a nice powder coated one in the next couple of months I am debating whether to get it done now or just wait until I have the subframe off. I am also wanting to do an oil change but that could result in me doing it twice in short order that seems a bit of waste, so I'm just debating with myself what the best course of action is.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
So the old girl has an oil leak, its nothing major and to be fair has been there a little while, although recently is has become a little worse. When the belts were done we couldn't work out if it was the main seal or the sump gasket and I was worried it was the new main seal but I am pretty confident it is the sump gasket now as I cleaned all the oil off and there is a dribble down the side of the pan but its not above it.

Given I am hoping to swap the subframe for a nice powder coated one in the next couple of months I am debating whether to get it done now or just wait until I have the subframe off. I am also wanting to do an oil change but that could result in me doing it twice in short order that seems a bit of waste, so I'm just debating with myself what the best course of action is.
Not a massive job with the subframe off, just a few bolts at the bottom of the gearbox to remove, then the bolts out of the sump.

My BG sump was leaking in multiple places, including the crankshaft oil seal, but primarily from the corner near the starter.

IMG_5453.jpeg

Great opportunity to get it aqua blasted and clean the filter on the oil pump.

IMG_5551.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Not a massive job with the subframe off, just a few bolts at the bottom of the gearbox to remove, then the bolts out of the sump.

My BG sump was leaking in multiple places, including the crankshaft oil seal, but primarily from the corner near the starter.

View attachment 1632525

Great opportunity to get it aqua blasted and clean the filter on the oil pump.

View attachment 1632526

Thanks Jon, I kinda figured it was pretty easy with the subframe off. Think I will try and bring forward the subframe timeframe and get it done next month. Its not a major leak but it does annoy me.

Do you need to support the engine with the subframe off? I have seen a couple of conflicting messages.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Jon, I kinda figured it was pretty easy with the subframe off. Think I will try and bring forward the subframe timeframe and get it done next month. Its not a major leak but it does annoy me.

Do you need to support the engine with the subframe off? I have seen a couple of conflicting messages.
I took the engine out when I did mine as I needed to access other parts, but I've had the subframe off with the engine in. The top engine mount is sitting on the body and the battery support above the gearbox is bolted in, so it won't go anywhere.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Subframe back from the powder coater and front axles back with bearings,

View attachment 1636643

View attachment 1636644

Also made a star, hadn’t actually meant to do this much but got carried away, as you can tell from the tool explosion…

View attachment 1636646

View attachment 1636645

Should be easy enough to drop the rear axle on, some rust to sort out first but nothing major, pretty please with how clean it is really.
Horrible job but it's got to be done! 👏

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good. I fancy getting my subframe painted/powdercoated. Might have to break out the hammerite smooth when I pull the gearbox back out... Again🤣

Just make sure you clean up those mating surfaces on the hub flanges. Ask me how hard it is to remove stuff when powdercoat has welded it in place🤣 *Insert video of smacking off brand new powdercoated wheels using a copper hammer because they'd welded themselves on after a trackday*

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good. I fancy getting my subframe painted/powdercoated. Might have to break out the hammerite smooth when I pull the gearbox back out... Again🤣

Just make sure you clean up those mating surfaces on the hub flanges. Ask me how hard it is to remove stuff when powdercoat has welded it in place🤣 *Insert video of smacking off brand new powdercoated wheels using a copper hammer because they'd welded themselves on after a trackday*
Haha. Yeah I’ve also heard it can cause wheels to come loose so go figure, but it’ll all be coming off before I fit the wheels.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Neighbours just been around, viewing on his house tomorrow was wondering how long the “car is going to look like that” 😬🤣

Going take the from the front end apart in the next day or so, it’ll look fine then.
Aye been there. My neighbour made a habit of making passive snarky comments during my resto.

Still at it then Jon? Can’t be far off now Jon? Got much more to do then Jon?

In the end I just told him to f**k off. And I rarely swear. He got the message.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I just said “remember the last one? Maybe a bit longer than that…”

The last one was like that for months, so long in fact it’s on Google maps in that state.

Although I’m hoping to have this back on the road next week.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I moved into my house in early February (2019) and by early March I was breaking cars on the drive

I can't imagine what my neighbours thought of me as I dragged entire shells down the drive onto a flatbed🤣🤣 Probably 🥧🔑

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Kinda progress today, got the back end back together, looks really good I’m pleased with it. However the BAS sensors I preemptively bought are not right and I suspect I’ll end up spending £320 on 4 new ones 😫

B3388C72-E09A-4B41-A3D9-74B7BE158F39.jpeg

FBDE657C-7923-4EFC-928D-F86669C3684F.jpeg

02F498A9-952E-4601-BD36-004077261EDB.jpeg

0351CD6A-99B7-4CCF-A730-53555686AC69.jpeg

DDA479CF-753B-4230-A028-0D85E62A2046.jpeg

4A098F2F-1257-4CCB-81AC-5E175CD42DB1.jpeg

Also my handbrake outers seem mega tight, almost like they’re too short so might end up replacing those as well.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Still need to bleed the brakes as well but going to wait until I’ve done the front end as I may take the calipers off the front as well not decided yet.

Making a start on that tomorrow.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Moving on to the front end, made reasonably positive progress pulling the subframe off. Everything seems compliantish at the moment, couple of the frame bolts are tricky but the swan neck spanner’s working a treat so far.

I did manage to snap one of the bolts holding the D supports on which is frustrating.

Hoping to have it dropped off tomorrow or Wednesday.

2ED39554-CB92-4EA0-92D8-A35486534508.jpeg

F5AB3889-82F8-404B-AA57-D91730AA5826.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Basically a whole day spent on the car, dropped the subframe, built a up the new subframe…. Twice… fitted the new subframe, cursed the engineer when I forgot the steering rack bolt you have to install before installing the subframe, dropped the subframe, fitted said bolt, knocked it all I to shape and added the hubs. Fitted the new sump gasket as well, looking forward to the leak being worse than before.

Pretty close, although I’m waiting on new abs sensors so it’ll be another week or so before it’s actually finished.

2B419001-BA33-4142-AD39-F7E7B45FFBEA.jpeg

706365AC-7062-421A-A52B-6E235E129514.jpeg
780EADDE-B160-4F55-B8E5-1F4B0CCA03FE.jpeg
D449B32E-7A5B-4D66-A9E2-30BADBF9B143.jpeg
D449B32E-7A5B-4D66-A9E2-30BADBF9B143.jpeg
5E5E35C1-82A8-477D-BC2C-E7FA2DD5E49B.jpeg
728CC5E1-2154-4F6D-ACCE-45AFE163D7B1.jpeg
B15D109C-3008-4845-ADC4-6854487D55DB.jpeg
DB80EA5F-A572-4719-AE43-C352194F6360.jpeg
095932C8-0369-47D5-925B-501D94E9979C.jpeg

Attachments

• D05E91CF-B397-4CA7-8096-0F88ADB7FE48.jpeg
    D05E91CF-B397-4CA7-8096-0F88ADB7FE48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
As a slight aside the captive bolts were really easy to get to with swan neck spanners, although one actually held in place which was a small miracle. Not sure why I’ve heard of folks cutting the chassis to get to them, there’s literally a hole already in the chassis.

Worst bolt was the one holding the lower coolant hose on, took for ever and the car ate (later regurgitated) three 10mm sockets.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Back on 4 wheels, but no pics.

All had gone well expect I can’t get the brakes to hold pressure. Fluid is clean and air free but the pedal just goes to the floor. Suspect I need to bleed the abs module but need a clip for that. So I’m a bit stuck at the moment.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Cars back on the road! Work all finished brakes finally bled and last few odds and sods sorted. Took it for tracking and I need new track rod ends and tie rods. So they’ve been ordered. Never stops.

Having been sat not really moving for a few weeks it’s only natural that it has some new issues, air bag light has come on and cruise control has stopped working 🤣

The joys!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Oh… also got a horrible knocking from the rear. I didn’t order oem bolts that go through the bush so I’ve ordered some in the hope that resolves it, I can’t think of what else it could be.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
It’s been a little while since I updating things.

Picked up some bucket seats, got two Sparco adv grp tech seats for £350, would probably have preferred seats without the head wraparound but not a major issue and the price was right.

Fitted one, waiting in a harness and the cage for the other one.

IMG_3665.jpeg

Also got a new steering wheel, went for a monatec semi dished as a flat one would have needed a spacer to get it where I wanted, this is pretty much perfect for me.

Also fitted the button set I got from @idubl.

IMG_3664.jpeg

Waiting on a half cage turning up in the next week or so hopefully.

IMG_3644.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
It’s been a little while since I updating things.

Picked up some bucket seats, got two Sparco adv grp tech seats for £350, would probably have preferred seats without the head wraparound but not a major issue and the price was right.

Fitted one, waiting in a harness and the cage for the other one.

View attachment 1648425

Also got a new steering wheel, went for a monatec semi dished as a flat one would have needed a spacer to get it where I wanted, this is pretty much perfect for me.

Also fitted the button set I got from @idubl.

View attachment 1648426

Waiting on a half cage turning up in the next week or so hopefully.

View attachment 1648427
Won’t be long now then 🚙💨 Only it’ll be the other way around 😂

IMG_0676.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Got my cage and wanted to do a rear fit… why? Because I need the car to get to Luton airport in July and need to still be able to fit my bike box in… I was hopeful…

Cage is great, as recommended by @VenomUK it’s a true bolt in cage, super easy to fit really, took less than an hour to get the whole thing in.

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

It’ll need to come back out for a little while as the bike box doesn’t quite fit.

Only cost me a windscreen though 🤦‍♂️
IMG_3714.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like I will need to have another go at the coolant hoses. For some reason there are a couple that just seem to leak from the joints, its not loads but I need to top it up every month or so and its defo leading as you can see the residue. I suspect at this point I have over tightened the Mikalor clamps which I don't actually think are great for this application. My intention is to get new hoses and use the original type spring clamps to hold the hoses on which will hopefully sort the issue.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bin the mikalor clamps. They never seal 100% right and back off over time. Stainless high grip genuine jubilee clips are always the best on silicone coolant hoses.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Bin the mikalor clamps. They never seal 100% right and back off over time. Stainless high grip genuine jubilee clips are always the best on silicone coolant hoses.
Just been out and checked... some of them were worryingly lose other were just loose... Will add tightening them to my regular maintenance until I can get them swapped out. Glad you posted about them back off, I would likely have been sat on the side of the road in the not too distant future.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Just been out and checked... some of them were worryingly lose other were just loose... Will add tightening them to my regular maintenance until I can get them swapped out. Glad you posted about them back off, I would likely have been sat on the side of the road in the not too distant future.
Common issue sadly and good job you noticed it. I bought a set when they were the rage years ago for boost hoses and have removed them all for jubilees due to them backing off.

Got my cage and wanted to do a rear fit… why? Because I need the car to get to Luton airport in July and need to still be able to fit my bike box in… I was hopeful…

Cage is great, as recommended by @VenomUK it’s a true bolt in cage, super easy to fit really, took less than an hour to get the whole thing in.

View attachment 1649330
View attachment 1649331

It’ll need to come back out for a little while as the bike box doesn’t quite fit.

Cage looks great!

Sorry about the windscreen, does it come all in one piece?

Is this one that doesn't require drilling? If so, do you have a link please?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks, yeah it’s true bolt in no drilling at all. It’s all one piece except a bat that goes through the rear footwell to add some more strength but that just bolts in.

That’s the chap, really good guy, has a 182 track car so knows them really wellZ