ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

06 Clio dCi 100 - any major issues with them? Looking at buying one.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Afternoon all,

Looking at getting one of the above - fancy something with a bit more grunt as I plan on doing some motorway miles plus forays into Europe.

The one I'm looking at is 125k on the clock, 1600 quid. Worth it or worth haggling? Any major issues about to arise that'll cost me a fortune?

Cheers.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
As with all dCi's Injectors can give trouble. Check the usual service history and get someone to check to see if it's smoky on startup or under load.
The 100's are more difficult to source parts for IMO i.e I'm trying to find a radiator and intercooler, they're like rockinghorse crap!

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Presumably they aren't interchangeable with the lower-powered versions then?

Do the lower powered versions pull well? Looking at car camping with it and don't fancy struggling because it's underpowered.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
The intercooler and radiators are different to that of the 80's :(

Get yourself over to http://www.cliodci.net/ and have a look

The main differences are:
65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

Misc -

The reason the Pistons were changed on the dci 100 was due to the extra fuel pressure causing issues with the 65/80 pistons - worth noteing if you plan on changing fuel pressure

The dci 65 and dci 80 turbo is good for 1.5 bar but the dci 65 will NEED an intercooler to reach these sort of figures reliably and really the dci 80 will need a dci 100 spec intercooler at least too!

The turbo repair kit for the all the dci turbos is the Borg Warner KP35 kit
A handy list of turbo part numbers and oval plate numbers which correspond to the mentioned vehicles. These turbo's do fit other K9K variations ( of which there are over a hundred ) the oval plates are just rough guide lines to help you on the Dialogys. The part numbers given are the Borg Warner number ( k series ) and not the Renault part number. The Borg warner part number can be found on the blower housing ( blue / yellow / red badge )

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Cheers, that's really helpful.

Of the 3 then, which is the "best" one to go for? I don't want to be dicking around finding parts but I don't want a slow one either!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Probably the 80 tbf, still a fairly uncommon beast though, from experience people tend to only sell them when they go wrong! haha!

The 65 with a remap can be fairly nippy.

clio dci , ren8
if your talking clio 3 on a 06 plate then most of the above is rubbish as it will be the 106 bhp engine with the better seimens injection . Oil changes seem to be this engines down fall as the bottom ends will bang out . If its got good service history & had proper oil in it should be ok

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
if your talking clio 3 on a 06 plate then most of the above is rubbish as it will be the 106 bhp engine with the better seimens injection . Oil changes seem to be this engines down fall as the bottom ends will bang out . If its got good service history & had proper oil in it should be ok
Yes!

The dci 106 if looked after is a proper little weapon in the mk3 clio.

Easiest away to tell it has a 6 speed box.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
6 speed dci 106 mk3 is a much better choice however hold good money.

DCI 80 is a good car, I love mine, the ratios and gearbox are much better than the 100, but the engine in the 100 is worth the extra cash!
im trying to get my mate to part with his 100 daily to build a hybrid out of my 80 and his 100 giving me the benefits of both!

100 is a bit more laggy but has better mid/top end pull, if you just like to knock back and forward and spend loads of time on the motorway you will prefer the 80, if you like a spirited drive but need mpg you will prefer the 100

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Unfortunately I ended up with a 1.2 petrol as insurance dictated no diesel for me. It was an extra £200 to get the diesel (!) over the petrol.

I pick him up on Saturday though!

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
I don't do mega miles (and even less motorway miles) so possibly not that big of a saving. Plus I couldn't afford the payments on the insurance with the extra - I'm already paying nearly 800 quid a year for the petrol one!

Ah the joys of having no NCD :( I'm not even that young either, I'm 22!

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
I do prefer a diesel, but not for the amount extra it was going to cost me in insurance!
Still, it's my first car so I have that to be happy about. Can't wait to collect it!