ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

0W-40 Oil - OK for my 172?

I've just bought some Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 fully synthetic stuff. I consulted a fact sheet in Halfords and it said it was suitable for 2.0 litre Clios.

Is this OK?

(The search function is buggered at the moment)

Your not the only one!

There was a good thread on here that explained what the 'W' number means etc.

I'm pretty sure this stuffs ok :S

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
W=winter.

10w-40 is the lowest grade to use, 5w-40 is better, 0-40 is better still, but over kill in this country.

it jusr means its visosity from cold is thinner, therfore prtects better

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I use very thin oil, defo not the best for this time of yr, but i drive nice and slow for a while.

W=winter.

10w-40 is the lowest grade to use, 5w-40 is better, 0-40 is better still, but over kill in this country.

it jusr means its visosity from cold is thinner, therfore prtects better

Cheers dude. I did some reading myself on the net and came to the same conclusion. Oh well, at least it won't do any harm.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Will be fine - I develop oil for a living, and as long as the vis grade is close enough you'll be fine - it's more important to make sure it's formulated in decent quality (full synthetic or decent semi-synth (hydrocracked) base oil, with plenty of decent industry approvals (the newer VAG and MB approvals are normally among the toughest to pass, so good to look out for...). Castrol edge wll be fine in the cup...
I see the effect that oil formulation has on the internals of engines and transmissions (we run a lot of engine and transmission tests at up to £150K a pop!) - and would never choose an oil based on saving money again!

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I use very thin oil, defo not the best for this time of yr, but i drive nice and slow for a while.

Thin as in ?w-30. wouldnt run that oil in a reno engine, oil tolerence is quite low, especially on a williams/1*2