ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% complete 172RWD! - updated

Clio 172
Its just taken me all day to read this thread amazing project... Love it ... Makes the engine mods im doing to mine seem silly even though theyv cost thousands lol keep it up steve hopefully ill see
it soon ill be at cliosportsaterday will you maybe have it done by then ????

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
I don't think it's by far the best project,but mybe the longest
and most challenging build!
The easy bit is the fabrication.
Hardest parts to get round are
Cooling
Clutch
Throttle cable/wires
rear brakes
gear linkage was ok pretty straight foward.
Fuel tank(front)
Pumps lifter to swirl pot and hp pump .
Pipes plumbings.
Wires!!!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Fav mods dash and background carbon.
And lexan rear windows .

I do want front door lexan too but I dont reall want sliders
Plus if you do crash and the doors won't open
you can't smash the windows!!!!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What is actually stopping it from being ready?

Does it select gears?
Does the engine run?

Its not exactly rocket science to fit an engine to the back of the car and get it running so I dont understand what the problem is which is causing it to keep not being finished?

Evo 5 RS
I think it spends quite a lot of time at K-Tec doesn't it? I'd put money on it all being a bit beyond them. Sincerely, just take it to someone with actual qualifications. Honest to god you're only hurting yourself. I'd bet you any money this would of been done yonks ago otherwise.

It is an awesome project though, mucho respect for sticking at it - just don't throw the towel in!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think it spends quite a lot of time at K-Tec doesn't it? I'd put money on it all being a bit beyond them. Sincerely, just take it to someone with actual qualifications. Honest to god you're only hurting yourself. I'd bet you any money this would of been done yonks ago otherwise.

It is an awesome project though, mucho respect for sticking at it - just don't throw the towel in!

I just cant see why anyone would struggle, its really not a difficult thing to get an engine running 6 foot away from where it used to be, knock up a few mounts, get the gears working, wire it in and off you go.
Getting it reliable with the issues you will have with heat management etc is more of a task and something that takes time and development, but just to get it up and running and ready for an MOT is really not hard at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You would of done it all in an afternoon iirc.

Not at all, wasnt saying anyone can do it in that sort of time frame, its still a few weeks solid worth of work at least just to get up and running, but its not actually difficult or complicated, but this one has been taking years and had loads of people working on it now, so I really cant see what is stopping it? Hence my asking the question as it might be something I can help with as ive been there and done it all before.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Tbh having seen chip RWD nova I would expect him to be one of the few on here with enough knowledge to comment :)

MF4M9621a.jpg

Just in case JackJack hasnt seen it.

Its only a bit of fun, and Im not putting it up as a perfect example of how to build a mid engined car, its far from that, I would do loads differently if I was starting again TBH, but it does proove that getting one up and running and road legal (and chasing you to beligium and back in it -J-, lol) isnt dificult.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Now that's a project!
Nicely done chip.
Cars changed over a few times yes but it's taken so
long because theve first had to fix bits that were wrong that I put .
Engine damage,front end has been smashed(me)
Not using normal engine to dash to was omex!
The cars changed alot over the past 2 years!
Its allways took a couple steps back then gone one fwd lol.
I really hope it's done this year tho

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Plus I fitted a really crap brake setup on the rear.
Going for bigger better brakes all over .
Theres loads more but I don't want to spoil any potential feature in the future

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It has run before, hence the front end smash and why I haven't risked driving my project without knowing the brakes are perfect. Learnt from his mistake ;)

I'd argue that its not about having perfect brakes, its about keeping your driving in line with what the brakes you have can cope with, the same way you would in the wet etc.

Surely to take to shows and start doing some development on the car, things like that can come later, its only when you start trackdaying it hard you need to worry about perfect brakes etc?

Dont get me wrong, im not saying brakes dont matter at all, but even standard 172 front brakes are very adequete on the road with decent pads.