ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% complete 172RWD! - updated

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Re: 70% complete 172RWD!

im going to look into getting a stand alone ecu later.
mybe omex or similar.
what boost you running?
what ecu is yours?
mines rr @only 250bhp.
0.6bar boost.

mine was about the same before my rebuild. It is a standard ecu with the bbpt/fastchips map.
mine keeps overboosting since iv sorta reworked the exhaust manifold lol:)
around 0.8bar now???:S and then it cuts off because its not mapped to that high.

car066.jpg

car062.jpg

car061.jpg

car056.jpg

car070.jpg

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

check out the home made gearbox/engine mount lol
its lasted well i must admit.
it was only made for temporary use lol

Tungy

Good work dude. Your one talented and brave mofo. Would love to see this beast when it's up and running.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

Good work dude. Your one talented and brave mofo. Would love to see this beast when it's up and running.
i just pick it up along the way really lol:)
yh if you come to sw airfield on 9th march you will see it mate:)

Awesome mate. Its really taking shape now!

Good to see you doing a proper job of the wiring aswell.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

Awesome mate. Its really taking shape now!

Good to see you doing a proper job of the wiring aswell.
thanks dan.
mybe you should come down the wkd and have another look:)
ps what do you know about wiring?
your a accountant:rasp:

R5GTT, 2L turbo

sorry if its been asked before, but do you plan on putting the rad up front eventually ? I have a 172 turbo motor too, all beit built from odds and sods, but one thing I've noticed about F block turbo's is they need alot of cooling :) the water pump should be upto coping with the rad up front :)

R5GTT, 2L turbo

maybe you could lash up some rear calliper off of some other car (something with big vented discs obviously) then just use them for handbrke
yep thats what im after mate.
prob make a adaptor bracket to make it fit lol:)

re that one, unsure what its like in the clio world, but with the R5GT its possible to fit rear calipers to front hubs and then use a 238 x 8mm solid discs. I did it this way when I built my rwd car (matt/not normal's). it might be worth offering rear calipers up for trial ? :)

re that one, unsure what its like in the clio world, but with the R5GT its possible to fit rear calipers to front hubs and then use a 238 x 8mm solid discs. I did it this way when I built my rwd car (matt/not normal's). it might be worth offering rear calipers up for trial ? :)

yeah scoff i did mention this breaking set up to steve, i rememberd you mentioning it to me a while back:)

oh i pre warn you mate.....cue the head blaging regarding gear linkages soon....if had stevo blagging my head for months regarding these, but to be frank i didnt have a f**king clu!!;)

A

ashy_gtt

sorry if its been asked before, but do you plan on putting the rad up front eventually ? I have a 172 turbo motor too, all beit built from odds and sods, but one thing I've noticed about F block turbo's is they need alot of cooling :) the water pump should be upto coping with the rad up front :)

Oi what you doing in here!!!:evil:

R5GTT, 2L turbo

gear linkage is easy enough, needs a funny bend downward though at the g/box end to clear the underside of the casing :)

matt, ashy, howdy :)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

yes i plan to put the rad up front at a later date pal but im forced to plumb it in at the rear for now:dapprove:
im pretty sure the pumps up to the job.if anything i would of thought it was easyier on the pump.
if not then i may buy at xtra pump.electric?

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

gear linkage is easy enough, needs a funny bend downward though at the g/box end to clear the underside of the casing :)

matt, ashy, howdy :)
ha ha yh its easy lol thats what i thought:eek:
needs a funny bend lol
i was going to cut away the casing a bit:lolup:

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

na the rear calipers dont nowhere near fit bolt on wise but i could easy fabricate a bracket so they do;)
the next prob is the disc size:mad:
front 172hubs have vented 22mm i think?!?
and the rear ones around 6?

R5GTT, 2L turbo

na the rear calipers dont nowhere near fit bolt on wise but i could easy fabricate a bracket so they do;)

ah, I can answer that one atleast, rear's on the 172 are 238 x 8mm wide, I suspect some of the poverty model clios will use the sime dimension disc on the front so you could nab some of those from gsf or somewhere. thats basically what I did with the R5.

I had a feeling the calipers wouldn't go, I think your 172 front calipers do not fit on the R5, which tells me they're different :(

what are the hubs like ? will older 16v/williams/R5 hubs bolt upto your balljoint/control arm/suspension leg ? if they do it'll save you making an adaptor for the rear calipers :)

re water pump, yeah, it'll work, I ran an old c1j GT turbo engine in the rear first of all, that worked ok with the long pipe run and even the volvo engine (essentially the same w/pump as the 172) worked ok too :)

ha, the gear linkage, honestly, pretty easy. mine came backward from the gearbox linkage about 2", then down 2" then forward right upto the gear lever. ie, it navigated the underside of the gearbox.

I'll shut up now, lol. good luck with it all. Chris

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

ah, I can answer that one atleast, rear's on the 172 are 238 x 8mm wide, I suspect some of the poverty model clios will use the sime dimension disc on the front so you could nab some of those from gsf or somewhere. thats basically what I did with the R5.

I had a feeling the calipers wouldn't go, I think your 172 front calipers do not fit on the R5, which tells me they're different :(

what are the hubs like ? will older 16v/williams/R5 hubs bolt upto your balljoint/control arm/suspension leg ? if they do it'll save you making an adaptor for the rear calipers :)

re water pump, yeah, it'll work, I ran an old c1j GT turbo engine in the rear first of all, that worked ok with the long pipe run and even the volvo engine (essentially the same w/pump as the 172) worked ok too :)

ha, the gear linkage, honestly, pretty easy. mine came backward from the gearbox linkage about 2", then down 2" then forward right upto the gear lever. ie, it navigated the underside of the gearbox.

yh it might help if i had other calipers to offer up lol or measure :)
il make it work!;)
thanks for you needed help in the tread:)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

yh it might help if i had other calipers to offer up lol or measure :)
il make it work!;)
thanks for you needed help in the tread:)
oh forgot to ask what did u use for piping?i have some stainles pipe borrowed from work:D was going to use that and link up the ends with samco bends/ends?

R5GTT, 2L turbo

yeah, I think if you can run rigid 30mm pipe under the car that'll be best, then silicon bends either end to route it about as you say.

I used some industrial rubber hose, silly strong stuff rated at 10 bar or something daft, it came from the local hydraulic/hose place, then strapped it up underneth the car in the tunnel just along side the gear linkage :)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

yeah, I think if you can run rigid 30mm pipe under the car that'll be best, then silicon bends either end to route it about as you say.

I used some industrial rubber hose, silly strong stuff rated at 10 bar or something daft, it came from the local hydraulic/hose place, then strapped it up underneth the car in the tunnel just along side the gear linkage :)
yh im going to do the same at a later date as im hard up at the mo:evil:
allways at work too:rolleyes:
only time i get to finish is nights on weekends and then my girl wants to spend time together :dapprove:
but sometimes she lets me get on width it and i achive some good work!
takes me an hr to decide what to tackle first;)

White Sti Hatch

First pic rear wheel steering is it lol ??

Looking good mare how long you think till your done ???

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

this friday im working flat out on it!
finish in bristol 16.00
drive home.hr
then doing an all nighter untill saterday then going straight to work bout 6am-1pm
drive home 1hr.
see mrs till 18.30
work on car till 23.00
go home to bed.
up again 6.30am.
off to work again 7am-1pm.
drive home.
go home see mrs till 18-19.00
work on car till 22.00 lol
monday up for 05.00

R5GTT, 2L turbo

cool, this is all bringing back memories of mine.

one thing, what are you bolting the front hubs/bearings up with ? ofcourse if they have no driveshafts through them the wheels will want to fall off. I seperated some outer's from old driveshafts and bolted just the stub's through, renault did basically the same on some of their factory RWD cars :)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

cool, this is all bringing back memories of mine.

one thing, what are you bolting the front hubs/bearings up with ? ofcourse if they have no driveshafts through them the wheels will want to fall off. I seperated some outer's from old driveshafts and bolted just the stub's through, renault did basically the same on some of their factory RWD cars :)
iv done the same thing mate!
they wont be falling off;)

Exige S1 + Honda S1

how close do you think the geo will be? Does it have a lot of adjustment?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Fantastic workmanship but i cant bring myself round to think why fit a 172 lump in the back - surely theres lots more exotica out there than the F4R lump ? I would have gone 1.8T myself but each to there own.

A fantastic and proffesional piece of work - spot on !!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

just because you had a blown F4R laying about?

i can't wait to see the end product!!!

ValverInBits

Fantastic workmanship but i cant bring myself round to think why fit a 172 lump in the back - surely theres lots more exotica out there than the F4R lump ? I would have gone 1.8T myself but each to there own.

Agreed, surely the 20v turbo has a little more potential. But then agen if you already had the F4R and it's going to make the loom a little easier etc.. etc

Can't wait to see this finished!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

hi matt bin trying to fone you not long back mate.
after parts lol.
yh i used the f4r lump because it was pretty much straight foward really thats my only reason:)
should go ok;)
now iv got the old clioTT slicks on lol:approve: