ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16V versus Ford Puma

Got a mate with a puma 1.8 16v, he has an induction kit and magnex back box. he wants to race me and reckons he will kick my ass. Checked max power and they should have the same acceleration when standard. 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds. mine is standard.

Has anyone had a race with a puma before and what was the outcome? Shall i race him?

That will be a 1.7 16v unless he had had it bored out? hardly worth it though lol, and i would say, straights you will have the edge, but throught the bends watch out!

If he drives it on the limit, they handle sooooooo well, very forgiving, and inspire great confidence.

Classic error - never check Max Power for figures. They give the Clio 16v 0-60 in 8.6, but the heavier 19 16v 0-60 in 7.4 (same engine) - erm...go figure!

Unless its a Racing Puma (500 ever made), it has a 1.7 16v that pumps out 123bhp and 116lb/ft of torque (unbelieveably at higher revs than the 16v). Youre looking at about 120bhp per ton.

The Clio will be puting out 140bhp per ton as standard. Race him and watch his face!;)

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

My mate had the racing puma.

I raced him many many times. In a straight line my 16v was slightly faster, however on corners it did handle very well. But he would never get away from me.

ben H the std Puma has 123bhp the racing has over 150bhp costed£ 22000

When new & aint much faster than std... 0-60 in 7.4 top speed just under 130... bag o w**k if you ask me....

Whoops! You must have read the post differently. I mean that the 1.7 Puma has 123bhp, apart from the FRP.

I raced a racing puma off the light and i was quicker mine slightly tuned but the puma seemed slow!!! so a 16v should eat a normal puma.

go for it i raced my mates puma yesterday and yes i was surprised at how quick it was but i still whipped his arse.

jaimie

i got to drive a puma last week, 1.7, and it was slow!! i thought he had the 1.4 engine until he lifted the bonnet to show me!!

as for the racing puma, i heard a worrying fact from a mate who works at ford!!

he told me that it was basically a normal puma with stick on wide arches etc!! he had to replace a rear panel, took it off to find a normal puma panel lurking behind!! they had basically took a hammer to it to bash the panel as flat as they could then stuck the new wider panels over the top!!! no wonder theyre not much faster!!!

the best puma they did seems to be the 2.0l limited edition, about 200 units i think and they match the performance of the racing!! although if you want one you have to get a job as a hairdresser!! ;)

Laner - AFAIK there was no 2.0 Puma. The only special one was the Racing Puma, which had the normal 1.7 tuned to 150+bhp.

Laguna 2, Westfield

Quote: Originally posted by Laner on 07 April 2003

as for the racing puma, i heard a worrying fact from a mate who works at ford!!

he told me that it was basically a normal puma with stick on wide arches etc!! he had to replace a rear panel, took it off to find a normal puma panel lurking behind!! they had basically took a hammer to it to bash the panel as flat as they could then stuck the new wider panels over the top!!! no wonder theyre not much faster!!!

;)
Sounds like the 3.0 clio aswell, the ones ive seen you can see the glue/bonding stuff used to fix the arches on coming out the gaps where they are fixed on the normal clio panels.?? :confused:

iwas told by someone at puma, that the last 200 pumas had the mondeo 2.0l engine dumped in them, never released as a special/limited edition, just something ford chose to do?!