ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v_paddy's bent Naples unbending & F7R rebuild

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Right it's long overdue because of general laziness & seive like memory :rolleyes:but it's about time I get this project thread up & running.
As you all know I was involved in a bit of a nasty smash on 5th Nov 08 :cry: and my valver got a busted rear quarter, B-pillar & creased roof :evil: only 2 months after achieving mintness :mad:
But this is what happens when chavved up corsas have a go at a Naples :nono::rasp:
Image010-1.gif

But the naples is getting fixed :D Here's the latest pics in her current state of bodged repair befor she goes off to the garage to get the brakes fixed then the bodywork sorted and back to mintyness
Image027.gif

Image028.gif

Image029.gif

Now the interesting part........Megane F7R 710 engine to play with :evil: I can't decide between bodies or boost yet, but either way it's getting a forged bottom end 1st and some fancy shizzle with the crank & flywheel.
I'll make the decision when the time comes to buy pistons, but that's only going to happen when the compo cheque lands, and that could be a while yet :rolleyes:
IMG_2195.gif

IMG_2197.gif

IMG_2205.gif

I've got a few questions, can anybody tell me what sensors these plugs are for?

IMG_2199.gif

IMG_2200.gif

I'm assuming this 1 is the oil level sender :S
IMG_2201.gif

And what are these 2 for?
IMG_2202.gif

Let the fun commence :evil:

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
IMG_2200.gif

oil pressure switch i believe just has the one wire coming off of it and the piccy below will be the oil level sensor

Bus w**ker
Get some full pictures of your car up mate. Looked mint when I came and got that rad.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Well I got on with stripping the engine last night :D Pics to follow soon

Unfortunately a lack of a T55 bit stopped the fun just short of taking the head off :dapprove:

120d M Sport
SO glad u are repairing this mate. Absolutely love it

Though I must say, u seem to have no luck at all:dead: wat with the rear quarter before then getting rammed by the Corsa. Best of luck with getting it sorted Paddy

BMW M135i
As said first is a knock sensor, second the oil pressure switch and the third are just engine earths.

And i'll give my opinion of boost ftw!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Latest Update

Got the car to the garage to get the brakes checked, turns out that all the crap from the other lads car I ran over had somehow knocked loose the goodridge hose at the back & was leaking a tiny bit of fluid, hence the sponginess

So my mechanic nipped them tight again, then bled the system and left it on the pressure bleeder @ 2 Bar overnight. No more leaks, the brakes are s**t hot again :D and best of all........He didn't charge me a penny :D

Wdenesday morning I took my m8 to pick up his V6 from my paint man and left my valver with him to fix :evil: just got to wait for the insurance cheque to land :mad: and I'll have a minty mint valver again :cool:

As for the engine strippage, I dropped a bit of a bollock :eek: came to take the sump off and apart from the 6 already chewed up torx bolts :mad: I had the engine bolted to the stand wrong :eek: I had it oriented wrong so could only get 3 bolts into it and 2 of them were into the sump :eek:

I managed to sort it out though, pissing around for ages with jacks & blocks of wood :rolleyes:

But the fun has to stop for now as I'm back at work on 12 hour night shifts :cry: Back to it on wed though, but I've just bought a 306 XLd with my m8 to fix & sell for some crimbo money so my work on the valver might have to wait but who knows.....

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Right, time for an update :D not done anything for the past few weeks :oops: had some money making projects on the go ;) But here's the pics from the stuff I done last time round

Engine in order of strippage

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

Can anyone tell me if I should be bothered about this rust on the cams, or whats caused it? :S

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

Cams out

IMG_2220.jpg

The state of the head bolts, swimming in copper grease :eek:

IMG_2228.jpg

Head off

IMG_2221.jpg

The block in all its glory

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

Some not so good photos of the cylinders (piss poor photography skills to blame) :eek:

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Any educated opinions of the state of the engine would be appreciated :D
Now the important part of the project so far, the unbending & respray. Just a few pics of the work in progress :cool:

Image040.jpg

Image041.jpg

Image039.jpg

Image042.jpg

f**ked ph1 172
tbh you cant really tell from the pics. the bores *look* ok, have a feel around the edge where you can see where the rings have gone up to, and have a feel all around it to see if there is any lipping.

the hone marks look ok, but obviously get it rehoned!

M

mini-valver

The bowls on the head look very coked up, nothing a good clean wont sort but I'd check the AFR if you keep the standard flash on the ecu!

f**ked ph1 172
tbh, i did think that, but as he was going to turbo it i decided to leave it out as he'll be running a remap.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I did notice how coked up the head was & was quite surprised but not too bothered as the whole thing is being rebuilt with new parts & obviously a proper map

I'll be getting a rebore as well, I just need to measure the cylinders to see which pistons I need to get as I don't want to go too far with it unless it's necessary

Haven't got a clue of the history of the engine, hence I got it cheap, but the plan has always been a total rebuild/learning experience instead of just dropping it in straight away

f**ked ph1 172
what i'd do mate is get the pistons then give the block and pistons to a machine shop and ask them to bore and hone it to suit them.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've had the bores measured today and the good news is that the block hasn't had a re-bore, it is a bit worn but not excessively, so I'll be ordering some 83mm pistons & getting the block re-bored to fit them :D

thats not rust on the cams, its a band of yellow pant used to indicate that they are indeed 2ltr cams.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Update with a Few more pics 8)

Took a bit of persuading with a T50 bit, blowtorch, icecube and a hammer :mad: and got the sump off

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Couple of gratuitous oil pump pics, I don't think its very healthy as it doesn't turn very easily and clunks a little bit :S not too bothered as I'm getting a new 1 anyway

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

Oil pump gone and that gasket s**t is fuckin everywhere :mad: I want a proper gasket for this not the liquid s**t renault say it should be :nono:

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

Next out was the rods & pistons
IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

Next off was the end caps, I need some educating here :rolleyes: what are these shells/bearings called? I already know the crank big end bearings as they're with the rods, just after the name of each 1

IMG_2278.jpg

Then it's out with the crank

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

Next to come off was the oil cooler

IMG_2280.jpg

I intend to put a mocal cooler on, do I still need to keep the std one? Is it there to help get the oil up to temperature or can I bin it? :S

My nicely organised floor full of engine :D

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

I've had the crank and the block measured up and I'll be ordering the rods, pistons, gaskets & bearings etc on monday :evil:

f**ked ph1 172
big ends on the con-rods
and the others are main bearings and the half circle things are thrust bearings./

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've got that book "1001 uses for vinegar" at home, it would make my day if it said 1 of the uses was for de-greasing engine blocks :rasp:

f**ked ph1 172
^ it probably doesn't but trust me it works!

If you've got a lidl near you theres some cheap engine cleaner in there in a spray can, good s**t!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
It's going to be chemically cleaned when it goes to get re-bored, should I soak it in vinegar anyway??

RS RIP
judging from the pic in the avatar i'm guessing the inlet manifolds of the F7R are different to the F4R inlets are'nt they ?

I have someone who wants to buy mine for a F7R/F7P engine .... Will mine fit this engine ?

**edit** just saw that your avatar pic was taken from a valver.. but my question remains

ValverInBits
yeh but seriously though, 2-4 days in the cheapest of cheap vinegar should be enough to make it sparkle. even without a vibrating bath.
Might be a money saving idea for you.
Looks like it's going well. nice thread :)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
franx - dunno if this is any use to ya but also the megane F7R head can't work with a F7P or williams inlet manifold as the shape of the inlet ports are completely different

Latest Update

All the bits got ordered & paid for yesterday :D forged rods, pistons and all the other bits & bobs needed for a full rebuild but thats january's money all gone now :S :quiet: and I still need to get a new oil pump for it, I'm now flat broke for the month :cry: but it's well worth it & I'm happy because I got a really good deal :D

Next part of the project is to get my car back from the bodyshop - tomorrow, can't wait :D - then it's mot & insurance time in feb but since I'm working over christmas I'll have a healthy chunk of overtime and a pay rise by then and hopefully enough money left over to get the machining work done and the bottom end built up

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I finally got her back on christmas eve, but since I was working all over christmas I didn't get chance to take any pics :cry:
But I've been busy all day and she's had a full on valet, wash, polish, wax inside & out so she's back to total mintness :D

Some before & after pics of the damage & repair

IMG_2189.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg

Image028.jpg
IMG_2290.jpg

Now some gratuitous naples p**n :rasp:

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

M

mini-valver

Stunning example mate, will be even better when the 2.0 goes in!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
UPDATE

Woke up not long ago to find a nice box on my doorstep, opened it up and look what was inside

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

Some lovely Forged H-Section con-rods with ARP bolts :cool: