ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 owners. Do you find everyone wants to race you?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Now that the sun is out, it seems that every man and his dog is out for a race.

Friday was the worst day so far on the way to work. I had a Porsche Cayenne trying to jump me to the lights, a 530d glued to my bumper coming onto a roundabout, needless to say he wasn't there on the other side. And the worst of the lot was on the approach to the same roundabout from the other direction. Had a new Audi S4 sail up behind me with his indicator on as if to say pull over. Arrogant to$$er. Amazingly there was very little reason for his arrogance until crazy speeds when we hit the motorway.

But why do people do it. I just want a steady drive to work and these jumped up, highly stressed midly management type kn0b ends try to prove their over priced peni$ extensions are the quickest cars on the planet. Just calm down, life's to short.
Rant over.

Clio 172mk2
yer the sun brings out the worst kind of drivers, on last bank hol , i had saxo forte`s trying to do me , and 2 fit blonde birds in a new style mr2. then this sat i had a 911 turbo infront of me of course, with a women that didnt have a clue how to drive it , she nearly stalled it at every traffic light,

Astra VXR 17/05/07
I`m assuming with you saying the 530d " wasn`t there on the other side " of the roundabout, and you hitting " crazy speeds " with the Audi, that you take their bait. Thats probably why they do it.

Try calming down yourself and let them get on with it instead of racing them. If i`m wrong i apologise but your post does more than suggest you bite and end up being just as bad.

R26
Not had that yet, but then again only had mine for a few days.....

Used to get it alot in my Fiesta ZS (lowered, alloys, skirt kit) though. Just laughed at them as they went past! Not really in the mood to try losing my license to kn0bs like that!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Funkyjahooner said:
Try calming down yourself and let them get on with it instead of racing them. If i`m wrong i apologise but your post does more than suggest you bite and end up being just as bad.
You're right to say that and on this particular day I was biting which is just as bad. It was just a culmination of idiots which was driving me insane. But 99% of the time, I just let them get on with it.

It just seems that there is something about the Clio which provokes people. The same can be said when you drive at night and 3 series owners feel the need to flash you as if to say 'turn your full beams off'. I'm just driving with my headlights on, leave me alone.

Trophy 265/500
Must admit, we do get a lot of this both from Saxo/C2 VTS's and Porsches/Beemers. Very little from similar cars like the CTR or Focus ST.

One good game you might enjoy is baiting gunslingers into giving it loads, then letting them past and allowing them to zip through known speed camera sites. Not that I'd ever do this, nor my other half either, no siree Bob.

I must say, we never do at dodgy speeds though, just too chancy. I'm even more cautious since a 147 spun while trying to catch me up through a stretch of roundabout infested dual carriageway. I wasn't trying to race or anything, he just tried a little too hard and lost it :(

Astra SRi T
portland said:
One good game you might enjoy is baiting gunslingers into giving it loads, then letting them past and allowing them to zip through known speed camera sites.

class lmao

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I never used to get this in the Deawoo.. lol. But now I've got the 182 I'm getting it all the time. Unfortunately I can't resist but to take the bait, I'm like a kid with a new toy! But I give he a pat and say sorry after..

Astra VXR 17/05/07
len_beach said:
It just seems that there is something about the Clio which provokes people. The same can be said when you drive at night and 3 series owners feel the need to flash you as if to say 'turn your full beams off'. I'm just driving with my headlights on, leave me alone.

I love it when that happens, because on full beam the 182 is well bright. When they cop a load of the proper full beam instead of what they thought was full beam i can imagine they feel like an idiot !

My theory about why people act like that towards 172/182`s is because people have read reviews and heard about how good they are, they feel the need to try and prove the theory wrong and get all matcho trying to prove their cars are a match, which in most cases they arn`t ;-)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
nope noone ever tries it on when I'm in the Clio :( When I'm driving my other halfs 1 litre Micra they are all Damon Hill wanting a go, but in teh 172 noone wants to play :(

Apart from my mate with the RST powered B reg XR2 :) But he just beats me :(

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Funkyjahooner said:
I love it when that happens, because on full beam the 182 is well bright. When they cop a load of the proper full beam instead of what they thought was full beam i can imagine they feel like an idiot !

My theory about why people act like that towards 172/182`s is because people have read reviews and heard about how good they are, they feel the need to try and prove the theory wrong and get all matcho trying to prove their cars are a match, which in most cases they arn`t ;-)
That's the badger. Just a corteous flash back which temporarily blinds the moron and makes them feel even worse because they were too tight to spec xenons on their 318i and didn't want to sacrifice the immitation M3 alloys.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Do you have a loud exhaust etc? That probably attracts them.

Not really had many incidents since getting mine in november, I only recall an A3 and an Astra SRi having a go. My dad had a pollyfillered up 206 up his arse when he borrowed my car yesterday. I was dissapointed he didn't burn that fool :clown:

BMW E46 330i Touring
Not many try to race me, although it's normally the bigger, middle management-type cars that have a go, which is always funny to beat.

And it's always nicer when you're at a set of lights where two lanes merge into one, and you're in the lane that doesn't have to merge and something pulls up beside you...

Nissan 350Z
Not many here either, although an Integra Type R tried it on the other day.... funny enough he raced up behind me, road opened up to dual carriageway, I was ready, pulled away, so he didnt seem to want to try it on then... but then as soon as we got to a 40 road he all of a sudden didnt stop at nothing to get past. I gunned it up to 70 before thinking "this aint worth it", pulled over, slowed down, and let him past.

Other than that, its mainly repmobiles that try it on. Quite funny really... some of them are about equal until you hit 5000 revs and then you just slingshot your way past.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
acrebo said:
And it's always nicer when you're at a set of lights where two lanes merge into one, and you're in the lane that doesn't have to merge and something pulls up beside you...

Exactly what happened to me with the A3, guy in a baseball cap with a m8 and I was 4 up. Easy pickings, he was well pissed off and did a really dodgey overtake after we were on one lane lol. It's good when they have a passenger cause they look twice as stupid :clown:

Rally bus
I find that on the rare occasions my car is clean it tends to attract Nova's/Saxo's etc to drive in inch off back bumper. It doesn't seem to be such a problem when my car is cack up.

R35 GTR
I had one of those big warriors 4x4 things last night try to match my speed round an island. I wasnt speeding or racing though which was funny, the guy nearly spun out.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Had plenty of fiesta st's and focus st's trying to get me to give it some beans, even had one with a baby on baord trying it, (what the F**k)!!:eek:

dfifty1 said:
i get this im my 1.2! maybe cos thers a sport badge on my car.. its insecurity

they probably just think ha look at this prat putting a sport badge on his 1.2, i'll show him how unsporty his car is.

I get it a lot but never take the bait and therefore rarely have any problems. I just slow down if they start getting up my ass, they either back off or overtake when its safe usually, couldn't care less if that means they've "done me", I value my life and license.

Occasionally it gets a bit silly though, had a guy up my butt in a 40 and I eased off as he was doing my head in, instead of cooling off like most do he kept dropping off a few metres than accelerated hard up behind me, was terrifying - quite frankly. I pulled over in a layby and let him go, yes he's "won", but sod that, I'm not pissing around with 1500kg of metal.

I think the "little car syndrome" plays a part in it, people don't like to see a little shopping trolley that hits 60 in 7 seconds and costs a few grand. I frequently get people who simply will not let me pass on a dual carriageway, they may be cruising at 60 but when I try to pass them they turn into a complete lunatic and do everything they can to stop the Clio passing them.

Last edited:
  182 has now gone!
donofkarma said:
Not had that yet, but then again only had mine for a few days.....

Used to get it alot in my Fiesta ZS (lowered, alloys, skirt kit) though. Just laughed at them as they went past! Not really in the mood to try losing my license to kn0bs like that!

snap! I had a Fiesta Zetec S and people always used to try and race me.. Its even worse now I have got my 182.. Just had an old boy in a vectra Sri up my butt along the A27..

BMW E46 330i Touring
Just got back from a spot of golf and some kid in an admittedly nice looking Civic pulled up beside me. The car was nice looking so I thought I'd let him race off past me, but I heard his mate in the back say "nah, they didn't make any fast Clio's in that shape mate".... a dot in the mirror before I'd even got out of 1st.

It's immature, but fun. :)

One with a few more
People try to race me now I have the ST. Its a little annoying but they are obviously idiots who dont use the roads much. They overtake me and get about two cars ahead on dangerous bends. I just wait until the roads straighten out then I'm straight past them - it helps having the torque that the ST has, pulls away really well at speed.
Its normal civic type r's, renaultsports and non-Gti peugeots, lol. None of those have actually 'beaten' me as such yet either, perhaps as there are lots of 'bendy' roads about.(ironic considering only had that car a couple of days and probably not even close to knowing its full capabilities)

The only one I find annoying are the stupid men in their Audis and bmws who have to overtake me and show off about it. Its not like I'd bother racing them and they dont need to prove that their cars are faster than mine!! I dont get it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
With me it's middle management reps in 3 series or A4's, and occasionally senior management in A6/8's, big Saabs or 5/7 series.

Never have a problem with Saxos/Novas, or any other hot hatch really - maybe 'cause it's always so damn filthy, I don't look like someone who'd give it some in response.

Do I take the bait - only if someone's being spectacularly arrogant in a "I own the road so f*** off out of my way" kind of way...that's why I haven't put my IAM sticker in the back window in case someone reports me to the local group :eek:

Mini Cooper S sport
I hardly ever get people wanting to race me. The only kind of 'race' I like is the occasional traffic light grand prix, but I very rarely get the chance. Silly speeds aren't my thing, I'd rather keep my licence, so I let them past.

I was waiting at some lights last week, with pedestrians crossing in front, and one bloke was staring at my car so much he nearly fell up the kerb on the other side. I wanted to say "It's only a Clio mate!" .. imagine if I'd been in a Vee! (off-topic, but hey)

Black 182 f&f
Yeah me 2 i find its more young ones in saxo,corsas in that that want to race most times i just make out as i am gonna race away but i just let them pull away an look silly, anyway this guy i work with thinks his bmw 530d will be able to keep up with my clio i keep telling him to put it to the test :cool: