ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 owners. Do you find everyone wants to race you?

Nissan 350Z
I was making progress today on one of our B-roads, and a Golf GT TDI decided to try and prove how fast it was by putting his foot down... yeah quite nippy, but not quick enough, I was right up his chuff and had to back off the throttle.... so I let him go ahead a bit.

Then he tried to out-accelerate me again off a roundabout, again, what was the point?

Then to prove how fast his car was he then overtook a Mitsi Evo and a Lorry and very nearly had a head on collision with an oncoming car! What a muppet!

We had a bit of an issue with a Vectra on the recent CS Scottish Road Trip. He got passed by a couple of us but that seemed to annoy him just a teeny wee bit, and he started driving like a loony and not letting us past. In the end he did a seriously dodgy overtake past a line of about 6 stationary cars (including the 2 clio's who'd passed him) waiting at a red traffic light around a completely blind bend...

But on the whole I think me car's too subtle to attract much attention, which I like :)

i find that alot of people want to race me, had the same trouble coming back from the cs lakes meet on sunday, some 30 yr old trying to show off to his gf in his merc clk 280, i was doing a steady 70mph he kept shooting past, then me slowing right down until i passed him again then he would shoot off, smiling at me as he went past, the funny thing is the car wasnt all that fast. as he found out on the twisty roads. he was a di*k

Clio 172 mk2
pbirkett said:
I was making progress today on one of our B-roads, and a Golf GT TDI decided to try and prove how fast it was by putting his foot down... yeah quite nippy, but not quick enough, I was right up his chuff and had to back off the throttle.... so I let him go ahead a bit.

Then he tried to out-accelerate me again off a roundabout, again, what was the point?

Then to prove how fast his car was he then overtook a Mitsi Evo and a Lorry and very nearly had a head on collision with an oncoming car! What a muppet!

Sounds familiar

Usually these people are prepared to drive very dangerously to bolster their little egos

complete kunts

Turbos.
Its a two way thing really, recently i have had a lot of people who try to bait me (since i got my private plate put on...), sometimes i take it, sometimes i don't. The only annoying thing for me is when people get beaten and then turn aggressive.

NEED V6!
where i live near coventry every1 wants to race me whatever car their in.its so annoyin but sometimes u just want to wipe smile of their face.
most of the time i just dont bother and make them feel great when they pass me in their 1.2's.
one kid near me just looks as if hes driven his 106 through halfords

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Yep, this happened with me on Saturday night. I went for a nice drive, but was met by a Teg, MR2 Turbo, GTO, S2000, STi and a VTS..It was like an organised cruise as they were all in a line, sat on my arse - I thought at the time that they must be heading up to a dual carriagway which leads to the motorway just to race..They were flashing me, either to say, get out of the way, or join in...My initial thoughts turned out to be correst because i followed them, and off they went up this dual..I decide why not so off we went, I kept up with the GTO, and the Teg (DC2). The VTS was struggling to keep up as we got up to stupid speeds. The guy in the GTO couldn't drive for s**t, all the others were gone very quickly...

I have seen a lot more sporty cars out now that the weather is improving!

Tyson.

R

rich[182]

I find that most other hot hatches don't bother, in my opinion the worst drivers in terms of having a go etc are actually turbo-diesels and BMW/Mercs

Usually Mondeo tdci, Golf tdi, Passat tdi, Focus and then your 330's and C180 and C220

Have lost count of the number of times that I've come up behind the above (not quick or too close etc etc) and a car that has previously been plodding along will result in them driving like a t**t as soon as they clock you

Silver 172 PhII
rich172 said:
I find that most other hot hatches don't bother, in my opinion the worst drivers in terms of having a go etc are actually turbo-diesels and BMW/Mercs

Usually Mondeo tdci, Golf tdi, Passat tdi, Focus and then your 330's and C180 and C220

I agree with that!

Am I the only one who gets people carriers trying to race them? Usually dad on his own on the way to work - it happened to me this morning. Bloke on Citroen Picasso clocks me in my 172 and tries to prove that just cos he's driving a bus he;s not past it. He looked a bit annoyed when I won the M25 Jct 19 Grand Prix (people who know that M25 junction will know what I mean! ;) )

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not had many try to race me. I don't bother really either. Only if I'm curious.

RenaultSport clio 182 CUP
I think the white stripes are like an invite for every nova and chav in the land to come try it on.
Personally i quite enjoy it. Theres nothing like the look on their faces after you ve fucked them over and then slow down just to see their face.....

Happy days

Clio 172 mk2
'Mondeo man' is pretty bad for general bad road manners (tailgating, no indication etc)

TBH any t**t can drive in striaght line down a motorway...driving at over 100 with your family in the back just proves they even more stupid.

RenaultSport clio 172
Stev said:
Yeah me 2 i find its more young ones in saxo,corsas in that that want to race most times i just make out as i am gonna race away but i just let them pull away an look silly, anyway this guy i work with thinks his bmw 530d will be able to keep up with my clio i keep telling him to put it to the test :cool:

I borrowed my directors 530d for a week! This was a few months before i bought the 172 and im telling you that there wont be much in it! It feels a lot quicker than the clio because of the torque and it does dial up the numbers on the speedo pretty quickly too. Anyone know Marlow Hill in High Wycombe? I got a ton at exaclty the same point in both cars up the hill.

By the way i rarely get raced in my 172, it annoys me slightly that i dont. I once lost to a Saphire Cossie down a dual carriageway standing start but he only drew alongside me at 130mph. :dapprove:

I had an X-type niosing me up on the dual carrigeway the other night so I let him pull up beside me so I could see the smile dissapear from his face when the 172 raped his jag:rasp: . My other half actually owns my 172 now and I was thinking about taking the sport badge off the back as she always gets rep type ppl tailgaiting her:mad: .

2014 Focus Titanium
i get every tom dick and harry trying to race me in the S. and u get the few people who scream up my arse then after a few seconds (normally about 5-10) back right off cos they have been close enough to read the tiny vts letters at the bottom of my number plate.

speaking of dickhead reps, ive done my foot in so the other day my gf drove my saxo (she has a mk2 clio 172, but i offered to save her petrol :D) and this really old (and i mean like 65) man came right up her arse in a 406 coupe. she had been driving about 60 on a straight b road, not eratic or anything, and he just sat on the bumper for ages. so i just said ffs just stick it in 3rd and own him pls.. and he kept up pretty well all the way to triple figures, at which she eased off cos she wasnt very confident about the road surface.

why do these people do this? wow great u have a company car which u DONT pay for and probably couldnt afford to pay for. had i been driving the car, i know the back road very well and he wouldnt have kept up..

One with a few more
Funny someone should mention about people getting aggressive after a beating :

A little while agoa man in a van (yes, a van!) tried to go off a roundabout faster than me. I had no idea, for a start he was in the wrong lane to turn right, and secondly the road we were going into wuickly turns into single carriageway. Anyway basically I am ahead of him into this road. Only just on the roadabout he tried to come up from behind me and made me have to go over the other side of the road when we came off of the roundabout just to avoid his dman front wing.
Anyway there were lights further up. I stop - and the idiot old bloke gets out! I litterally sat there while he was trying to break my windows, dent my car, swearing and threatening me. I couldnt believe it. I wasnt scared of him he was a twit but I was livid about him trying to break my car (at the time I hadnt got out so no idea if he'd done any damage)

Thank god my dad was in the car. When the lights changed he started getting scary, driving up beside me with oncoming traffic on its way and litterally almost touching my rear bumper (and the side of my car when he was alongside). So I HAD to drive at neary 90 - I was too scared to stop and too scared to let him catch up. I even turned off on a different road and he followed. Dad called the police on his mobile in the end and we gave him his plate and explained everything. The guy must've noticed the phone and he bvggered off.

I was totally astounded and more than a little shaken. As usual we've heard nothing from the police.....

Highway race is no fun. It is just about power or if you don't mind to get a speeding ticket. The small road with lot of corners is what I like. It is more about driving technique.

Vee dub
len_beach said:
That's the badger. Just a corteous flash back which temporarily blinds the moron and makes them feel even worse because they were too tight to spec xenons on their 318i and didn't want to sacrifice the immitation M3 alloys.

I chuckled at that! :)

Leave them to it I say... your safe in the knowledge that your cars nippy etc.. no point to prove for me.