ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

Cup'd Monaco 172
Do these fix or help reduce the knocking you get doing wheel spin?
Do these only fix full lock issues?

I also get slight knocking over mini round-a-bouts, it does sound like its coming for the top mount area.

My car has done 65k, is it worth replacing the top mounts too?

Ready to order some if I think it will help with any of the above.

Ta,

172 Cup, Clio 197
Anyone else need any of these spacers? I managed to get some from work which worked perfectly on mine although they arent perfect dimensions:

Outer Diameter = 38mm
Inner Diameter = 19mm
Thickness = 3mm

Will send them for £7 including P+P I've got 8 pairs at the minute.
PM me if you want some.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi, my full lock grinding noise is gone thanks to the ss washers

The car still have a hard TOC in left/front tire when push the brakes and car stop also a grinding noise in 1st gear when the car start to move, this started just after clutch was changed I back to garage and they re tighten the subframe and check around but TOC still there

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Regards

clio 172 mk2
i believe ur mounts are gone if im correct i have the same problem and i went and got a sus chk and my top suspension mounts are gone and my whole damper woobles when lifted and the wheel shaken is there a fix for this or is the only option to by to new top suspension mounts?

right guys i got a load of swan nex spanners as per the guide but the nuts are so fare now the shaft that the swan neck is catching the doughnut so i cant get any leverage....now i know i could use a ratchet to get to the nut however how does the allen key side of this work do i loosen with the allen key first and then use the swan neck?? help please had these nuts for around 4 months ow and want the bloodt things on

RenaultSport 172 cup
My mate made some up for me at his work. Took 2 minutes to fit and it's stopped the Knocking. Been in the car now for about a month. Quality advice, Cheers Fred

guys guys guys i am sorry to keep pushing this i know everyone keeps saying its a 2 minute job which i am sure it is but i cant get the swan neck spanner on the nut cos it too fare down and i am catching the doughnut what can i do cos i am worried about this allen key business cheers many thanks...buy the way my noise has got a little bit worse since fitting 17 rims!!!

i believe ur mounts are gone if im correct i have the same problem and i went and got a sus chk and my top suspension mounts are gone and my whole damper woobles when lifted and the wheel shaken is there a fix for this or is the only option to by to new top suspension mounts?

Hi mate just had my mot and the inspector told me that my mounts are on the way out. How much did yours set you back?

Cheers

what a crock of s**t i cannot move the nut at all and i would say i am pretty strong and have 20 stone of weight behind it he he how much is a bloody impact gun? i might just get my garage to do it when its next in....bugger bugger

have you tried a torq rench . it will give you a bit more leveridge as it has the longer handle .

all u need is an allen key and a deep reach spanner, push the allen key one way and the spanner the other way, mine were put on with an impact gun and i got them off using an allen key and spanner, its easy

a quick, sharp wack with a spanner is all you need... none of this allen key business...

just be quick, sharp and hard with the wack and it'll loosen without spinning the springs.

cheers guys i will give it a wack and see.. i put some wd40 to try and loosen the rust that may be there so fingers crossed....the noise is really getting on my large man boobs now!!!

clio 172 mk2
hey guys i know this thread here awhile but i jacked up my car today and my top struts and wobbley and slack are the washers the necessary solution to this slackness and knocking sound im recieving or can i tighten by use of am impact gun on the compression nut any advice would be welcomed cause the sound is annoying as hell

smashed it with a hammer etc and they still will not come off what a bugger going to them fitted professionally now i cant afford an impact wrench...

Breaking A 172 Replica
I have fitted lowering springs to mine (50mm) and there has been a knocking since.

Tbh I have only noticed properly in the last few days.

Is it likely this is the problem? It can be felt through the steering wheel...

If so I think I may need more than just one each side as the gap seems to be about 20mm?!

Cheers for the help guys

Sam

Not a poxy Renault
I made up some washers for mine and when i stripped the struts down to fit my sportlines I noticed I already had washers fitted AND Renault have done the grinding bodge!! Car was owned from new by a dealer parts manager (I'm the second owner) who must have read this thread!!

Last night I machined up a pair for myself and another set out of Mild Steel. If anyone want the other set its yours for £6.50 inc delivery.

Lionel Richie
some pics

before
DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

spacer
DSC_0048-1.jpg

spacer fitted
DSC_0047-1.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

ta dar

A silver one
Is this to cure the 'squeaking' steering problem? I don't get it as soon as I start my car, but after a 20 minute or so long drive, once I've got to work for example, and I'm slowly getting into a space on the car park, the steering squeaks like crazy everytime I turn the wheel the slightest amount and the suspension creaks and sounds like it's going to collapse???

I've got my car booked into Holdcroft Renault in Hanley on 02/07/2007 for them to have a look at this problem, but I've got a feeling that they won't be able to find it because once the car has been standing the squeaks, creaks, etc. go away!!!