ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 vs modern hot hatches. On track....

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Inviting a few work friends along to the next track day at Bedford. If they come they will bringing their more modern hot hatches.
I30 N, 500 Abarth, fiesta ST2... Just wondering how my near std 182 will compare when on track? Anyone got any stories?

If it's dry I'll be on r888r's which should swing the ball in my favour,

Mk1
Interesting topic, Bedford has quite a long straight doesn't it?

Other than that, if they have not driven on track before I'd expect you to do fairly well.

It will be good to hear how you get on. I need to get a 182!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, the Clio is a good chassis, but it’s an old chassis. Expect it to fight hard against the 500, lose a little against the ST and be left by the N.

Assuming the drivers are equal, anyway.

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Didn't realise the N was that good...
May have to be a little more respectfull towards them. 😀
Hopefully they'll come along and we can see how they get on. Not seen any out them drive quick so let's assume all drivers equal.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Bedford is a flat and leggy track, stock 182 you'll struggle no matter how well you get it round the curvy bits

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Took my Megane 4RS round Blyton at the Cliosport weekender and was comfortably quicker than almost everything Renault related out there. The Clio will be bouncing itself off the limiter trying to look half respectable and failing

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Inviting a few work friends along to the next track day at Bedford. If they come they will bringing their more modern hot hatches.
I30 N, 500 Abarth, fiesta ST2... Just wondering how my near std 182 will compare when on track? Anyone got any stories?

If it's dry I'll be on r888r's which should swing the ball in my favour,

You've done Bedford before? Many times?

Have they?

All things being equal pretty much as said above, you'll struggle, but if you're a veteran around there and for them it's their first time on track, you should destroy them.

That's the two extremes...so anywhere inbetween really!

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Bedford is new to me. One of the reasons why I wanted to go there. Let's go with drivers skill as equal as it's a complete unknown.

Well it's the having fun that counts... seeing as the consensus is that I probably can't keep up.😄

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The difference I've noticed with most modern performance cars on track is most don't drive at 10 tenths, and rightly so seeing how expensive some of the cars are, so when you drive the Clio at 10 tenths you can keep up if not be quicker.

This is so true!

@OCD_Eng it's doubtful you'll be driving this track layout but regardless, here's some inspiration (filmed on a potato)...

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
This is so true!

@OCD_Eng it's doubtful you'll be driving this track layout but regardless, here's some inspiration (filmed on a potato)...

That's the sort of I really like about the clio. May not be outright faster, but keeps much more expensive kit in sight.
My best was at Abingdon start of this year, caterham sv on r888s going from one corner behind to one in front over a 15min session. I was on contisports.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Depends on driver etc. I would expect ok ISH.

This exactly. Totally depends on the driver and how hard they want to push it.

Problem they will face is they're in a shiny new car they need to keep pristine and there's 10-20 other dickheads flying around in worthless shitboxes.
Things get worse when some utter dribbler wants to 'race' the newer car to see how good it is.

182 FF
Slightly off topic.. i had the opportunity to drive a Hyundai Ni30 that we had as a demonstrator at work, i loved it, fun with a capital F, i also got to drive a friends 172 cup, stupid big grin plastered over my face after that too. I don't doubt for a second that the Hyundai was the quicker car and if i could afford one id have it sat on my drive in a flash but i don't feel too short changed with my 182 bought off the back of the 172 cup drive.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Who cares.
Old cars have nothing to prove, but will give the best driver feedback and reward you the most. Sell yourself to your mates as being the slowest car there. If you are faster than others you can rib them down the pub but trackdays are about fun - not fast.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You will skin the 500 and the ST and maybe keep up with the i30 if you can pedal well.

Really? I’d have expected an ST to be comfortably ahead of an older 182. i30 is Megane level isnt it? In which case you have almost no chance unless IMO.

Tbh though if you’re with mates you won’t be driving in convoy and I imagine at least half the time will be spent passengering with them?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Really? I’d have expected an ST to be comfortably ahead of an older 182. i30 is Megane level isnt it? In which case you have almost no chance unless IMO.

Tbh though if you’re with mates you won’t be driving in convoy and I imagine at least half the time will be spent passengering with them?

I needed 230bhp in my mk7 Fiesta ST to match my best stripped semi-slick time in my Clio 172 Cup around Goodwood.

Standard v standard I think little would seperate them.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Really? I’d have expected an ST to be comfortably ahead of an older 182.

The Chassis is very good but the engine is technically only 180bhp, with a limited 17bhp overboost function.

Being turbo it could easily get hot on track and cut the power back, especially if it's just running the stock intercooler.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Who cares.
Old cars have nothing to prove, but will give the best driver feedback and reward you the most. Sell yourself to your mates as being the slowest car there. If you are faster than others you can rib them down the pub but trackdays are about fun - not fast.

This. You'll be having a much more engaging drive.

My 20 year old chav-taxi kicks plenty of newer metal into touch, and I love that about it.

There's a reason you can't do a trackday anywhere without coming across a 172/182 in some guise.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I needed 230bhp in my mk7 Fiesta ST to match my best stripped semi-slick time in my Clio 172 Cup around Goodwood.

Standard v standard I think little would seperate them.

Do you not think though that stripping (an already lightweight) 172 Cup and adding slicks will give you more of an edge than 15% extra power?

Cos if you asked me which to pick (sticky tyres and weight reduction vs 15% more power) I know which I’d pick to win a race!

I would genuinely be surprised if a standard FST couldn’t hold off a standard 172 Cup all things being equal.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
You need to think about their road tyres aswell. They will over heat aswell as their brake pads as they arent made for flat out lap after lap trackdays.

I'm assuming you have been on quite a few trackdays and know how your car drives and that you have some form of track brake pads to take the heat and punishment so you can brake later than your mates with their cooked pads and brake fluid and then keep faster cornering speeds with tour R888R tyres?

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Granted its a turbo car. But an example of what a bit of weight removal will do.

I was quite shocked at how different it was for a free 'mod'

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
You need to think about their road tyres aswell. They will over heat aswell as their brake pads as they arent made for flat out lap after lap trackdays.

I'm assuming you have been on quite a few trackdays and know how your car drives and that you have some form of track brake pads to take the heat and punishment so you can brake later than your mates with their cooked pads and brake fluid and then keep faster cornering speeds with tour R888R tyres?

Unfortunately, I think I'm only just out of the novice category of track day drivers. still got a lot of learning to do.
My few mods are : (182 with cup packs)
rear seats removed (for van abilities more than anything),
eibach sportlines iirc,
motul high temp brake fluid,
brembo hc discs
ferodo ds2500 pads
braided brake lines
custom brake cooling ducts
15" team dynamics pro race 1.2 (either rainsports 2 or r888r depending on weather)
oh and drivers bucket seat.

this will be the first time i ran that brake setup with r888r's. doubt the ds2500's will be able to keep up with me standing on the brakes every turn.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Pads will be fine, have you bedded them in correctly and given them some heat cycles?

Chuck £20 at the instructor attending the trackday for 20minute tuition and he will open your eyes to the capabilities of your car

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
I've done one track day on these brakes and been on for around 6months of road driving, so all good there. will only be the tires that will be new to me (if weather permits of course)
agreed on getting an instructor, ive found that to be the best thing anyone new to a track can do. already booked in. :)

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
I find the issue with Bedford is most of the time you’re faster than a lot of cars around the bends and then as you enter the straights to pass them they vanish 😂 Most poorly driven modern cars make their time on the straights. Bedford’s big enough to do your own thing. As said there will be at least 3 or 4 other Clios, have fun with them

Also not many people like getting overtaken by a Clio. It’s an alpha male thing

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I find the issue with Bedford is most of the time you’re faster than a lot of cars around the bends and then as you enter the straights to pass them they vanish 😂 Most poorly driven modern cars make their time on the straights. Bedford’s big enough to do your own thing. As said there will be at least 3 or 4 other Clios, have fun with them

Also not many people like getting overtaken by a Clio. It’s an alpha male thing

This.