ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Chip +5BHP +12lbft £275 to CS members

Elise/VX220/R26
As detailed in a previous post a m8 of mine who runs an ECU tuning outfit in Leeds has a new chip for the 172 giving 5BHP and 12lbft of torque. The map was fitted to Len Beach's 172 and reaction from Ben on the remap can be seen on the original post I put up:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66070&page=3&pp=20

Heres the graph printout:

172map7ix.jpg

The car was run on the same day, same rollers back to back against the original map so these results are clear and as undisputable as you can get!

He's working on a 182 map at the moment which I think another member is having fitted next week, so that should be available in the next few weeks.

If your intrested in the map PM me and I'll pass on the details for the chap thats doing them.

ta!

SLK 350
Right, i'm interested. Do you give any guarantee that this won't f00k the car up, or that it won't break within X months?

Also is this chip an OEM look-a-like or does it have some sort of Superchip[i/] type stamping?

Cheers.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It's my car that the first one went onto. I can't give any guarantees but I wouldn't have the map on the car if I thought it may cause problems.
The map is simply uploaded to your ECU and no one is any the wiser, not even Renault can detect it.
The car is also much smoother with less erratic MPG and a good low down kick.
Do it.;)

Elise/VX220/R26
As ben says its a superchips type remap not a full ECU change like the R Sport or Dastek piggyback. The Renault CLIP cannot detect the chip as it doesnt read the fuel and timing maps. It might be possible for some renault boffins to spot it if there were ever a major investigation on your car (unlikley) but you can have the OEM map but back on the car in 20mins if needed.

Unfortunately its impossible to give a guarantee on the map but as you can see from the graph all its doing is optimising the fuelling and timing for performance rather than emissions like the normal factory map has to. You can also see on the graph that the modded chip follows the standard map perfectly so there are no crazy peaks or troughs in power that might indicate a problem with the map. Rev limit I think is unchanged at 7200 rpm? Ben might be able to tell you that

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
ozzyo99 said:
So you say your getting better MPG with this fitted?
Before I had the map fitted I was returning about 27-28mpg after a good caning and about 32-33mpg with normal driving.
The new map gives a more constant mpg figure of around 32 even during a beating. I have also noticed that long range mpg is slightly improved.
As for the rev limit, I believe it is now set at 7350 which is a slight raise but still useful, especially if you 1/4 mile.:race:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
rob172cup said:
im interested in this but wont be ready til jan/feb will it still be available
Should be mate. Just PM Jonnyboy or Paul (pmurray).

Just to say these guys are moving this week but are hoping to have everything set up by the end of the week. They will be on a different number aswell, area code aswell so might be best to give em a ring and get there new number before they move. No doubt all the information will on there website anyways.

Elise/VX220/R26
^^ Thats the rolling road BTW not the tuner, it will deffo still be available next year. Paul the guy who runs RS Tuning mainly does VAG stuff and deisels but as he's just got a 225 trophy he's started doing the reanults now

SLK 350
Aye looks good, if we got a few of us together could we get some sort of group discount? I know meggerman is fairly local and was interested in this for his cup.

Could you tell me (subjective question i know) but does the car 'feel' faster and more eager, or can you not notice the difference?

Cheers.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
ozzyo99 said:
Aye looks good, if we got a few of us together could we get some sort of group discount? I know meggerman is fairly local and was interested in this for his cup.

Could you tell me (subjective question i know) but does the car 'feel' faster and more eager, or can you not notice the difference?

Cheers.
The car does feel faster all the way through the rev range.
A friend of my dads has a standard 172 and was enquiring about my car so I let him go for a drive. We went out together and his eyes lit up when he floored it. He was very impressed by the mid range punch the car had and the way the 5200 kick was so much stronger.
He thought my car was noticeably quicker than his and that was with 2 of us in it.

Elise/VX220/R26
One thing that might intrest you guys that a re a bit far away from Leeds Paul will be coming to some car shows next year and he can do the chipping while you wait. FCS is a definite for this maybe donny in april and probably Trax

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Just to let you know that we are also able to do the 182's which will produce similar gains to the above.

Paul

Have u done a 182 yet m8? Be interested to see a graph for it, even though it will obviously be very similar to the 172

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Just two questions about that graph:

Why was the car run up in third gear as opposed to forth?
Take it BP is the barometric pressure reading? Seems low, national physics lab says it never dropped below 99 on 21-10-05!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Cant edit above :mad: but seems dyno dynamics rollers should be run up in third gear as otherwise max roller speed is excedeed. Obviouslly adjusted so that the readings are acurate with far from the ideal 1:1 gearing.

MKIII 138
yea im up for it, so whats the cost ? i just got myself a hillpower induction kit so hopefully the map may take into account this mod.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
meggerman said:
yea im up for it, so whats the cost ? i just got myself a hillpower induction kit so hopefully the map may take into account this mod.
How did the Hillpower work out Meggerman?
Cost is £275 to members. Almost as good value as BenR's intake work.

Clio 182, Audi A3
len_beach said:
The map is simply uploaded to your ECU and no one is any the wiser, not even Renault can detect it.

If you have an accident in a hot hatch the first thing the insurance company does is send the ECU for examination. So I've heard

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Grandad said:
If you have an accident in a hot hatch the first thing the insurance company does is send the ECU for examination. So I've heard
I sincerely doubt that. Imagine the cost of removing the ECU, sending it away to the manufacturer for someone who actually knows what they are doing to have a look at only to find that 99.9% would return as standard. It would just add more cost to paying out.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Grandad said:

lol...^ I smell the odour of shite.

They don't send the ECU's away they can nowadys just plug in there laptops and check the ECU programming. Due to the easy can common place of these hidden remaps insurance companys are wise to this modification.
I think my car was checked when I had my crashed for a different ECU programing.
Renault can find the map isn't right when they do a checksum on the ECu but they won't they'd just upload a new update etc they never check that deep.

Clio 182
Is there anyone who works in insurance, crash investigation, etc, etc that can confirm what they do with the ecu when investigating a crash, claim? ECU mods are very common these days so surely they can simply plug in a diagnostic tool that would confirm if its standard or not in minutes. I know nothing about cars but I work in IT and the diagnostic tools we load onto our servers etc... can pick up any hardware faults / configuration errors (if any). Is it not the same concept? I'm probably chatting crap !!!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Heard its becoming more common thing now for insurance to check ecu. Read somewhere that they can check how many times it been 'flashed' (i.e remapped) since it left the factory. Obviously if this reads 1 or more they probably do further checks. Said that 2 in 10 under 35's have modifications to their cars.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Hi guys, Just to let you know i am now able to do the 182's for the same price. Results of the first car will be posted when i find the first car to do! (discounted of course).

Paul

Ph1
Well my mate worked for 3 years, up till a last week, at a crash repair centre and they never bothered looking for chips and messing with the ecu's.

Most common turn down of a payments was lads coming in with their cars slammed on the deck and body kitted up to the hilt !!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
howie p said:
is 5bhp and 12 lbs a noticeable difference in power, or only if your foot to the floor all the time?
It is a noticeable gain mate. I tried a map which turned out to have 2 more bhp but only about 6bhp gain in torque and it definately felt flatter than the map I have now.
I would say it definately feels quicker and that has also been said by a friend of my dads who has a boggo 172. He said it felt faster than his even though there were 2 of us in it.

clio 197 f1
well just to let you guys know, went up to see pmurray on saturday, with my 182, and had a remap done, will be going up for a rolling road session within the next 2 weeks, then the results will be posted up here i'm sure as with the 172 map.
given the car a good thrashing in the last 24hr, there does seem to be a quite noticable difference from 3,000 upwards, much stronger powerband, quite impressed so far, cant wait to get it on the rollers, we have also a couple of other maps to try.

Turbos.
oneeighttwo said:
Is there anyone who works in insurance, crash investigation, etc, etc that can confirm what they do with the ecu when investigating a crash, claim? ECU mods are very common these days so surely they can simply plug in a diagnostic tool that would confirm if its standard or not in minutes. I know nothing about cars but I work in IT and the diagnostic tools we load onto our servers etc... can pick up any hardware faults / configuration errors (if any). Is it not the same concept? I'm probably chatting crap !!!

I guess if you are a second owner you could just claim innocence..not like you'd know!

bigmouk said:
Heard its becoming more common thing now for insurance to check ecu. Read somewhere that they can check how many times it been 'flashed' (i.e remapped) since it left the factory. Obviously if this reads 1 or more they probably do further checks. Said that 2 in 10 under 35's have modifications to their cars.

Why does it matter how many times it has been reflashed?? The insurance company cant refuse a payout just because an ecu has been reflashed several times.

What about updates from renault when it goes in for a service, some cars have not been serviced at renault and have missed these updates, whereas others may have had many.

What about an ecu that is having trouble taking the reflash and has to be performed several times for it to be accepted.

What about the people who bought a second hand one that has been remapped and the dealer/previous owner did not tell them.

It is possible to argue that whenever renault update the map your car is then modified from standard as it is now different to when it left the factory.

TBH i think these stories are created by insurance companies to make sure people declare the remap thus extracting more money from us